1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Things to consider before starting your own ad network

Discussion in 'Pay Per Click Advertising' started by nilar, Jul 26, 2014.

Hello,

I know it would be a whole planet to explore, but where would you start from?

If you are already in the business and have checklists of things to do or don't you'd like to share I would really appreciate that :)

If there are things you like or dislike of existing ad networks you are welcome to share as well.

nilar, Jul 26, 2014 IP
  2. Clickfinity

Clickfinity Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm ... let's see; choice of programming language, servers and bandwidth requirements, which SQL platform to use, how to secure you data, costs of processing payments from advertisers, how to ensure fast delivery across the globe (and not just locally), qualifying criteria for advertisers and publishers, how to find and deal with click fraud, pricing structure, competition, how you would gain traction over the many (larger) networks that already exist, formula for maximising targetted delivery, additional data gathering techniques and policies to build, store and analyise targetting data?

That sort of thing? ;)

Clickfinity, Jul 26, 2014 IP
  3. nilar

nilar Member

Best Answers:
    That makes my head hurt. I'm joking :)
    Thanks a lot.

Very useful indeed. Luckily enough I guess with some of these you can start small and scale up. Some other points would be addressed using some kind of already existing framework. Am I right?

nilar, Jul 26, 2014 IP
    yellowhorse likes this.
  4. ufshane

ufshane Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Here are a few things to start with:

1. Platform
      1. It it hosted or do you have to host it
      2. Does it have a built in exchange
      3. What are the ongoing costs
    2. Create a publisher checklist
    3. Create an advertiser checklist
    4. System to manage payments and payouts
    These are very important in planning your network, you want to automate as much as possible with your platform. To be honest starting out you do not want to host the network yourself, because to get enough volume to actually make a little money, you will need a dedicated server and those can run on average of about $100 - $200 per month. Look for a system where you buy a license and pay a nominal monthly fee. $20 to $50 per month is standard for most networks.

You want a system that is part of an exchange so that you have advertisers and publisher inventory readily at hand. Nothing worse than trying to sell ad space with no inventory or publishers signing up and you have no ads to show.

That will get you started at looking for your platform...

The checklists need to coincide with your terms and conditions but be more of a 5 to 10 point checklist to quickly weed out any bad sites based on your goals... for example no adult content, non pay to click sites, etc. For advertisers its more of making sure they have their campaigns completely set up with the actual ads that are not malicious, safe landing pages, etc.

If you have any additional questions let me know.

ufshane, Jul 27, 2014 IP
  5. nilar

nilar Member

Best Answers:
    Hey ufshane, thank you for the well thought reply.

I understand you opted for maxcpm. Does this work well for you?

nilar, Jul 28, 2014 IP
  6. ufshane

ufshane Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Correct and this is probably the fourth or fifth platform we used before were happy. We have tested several providers before with the same results. All the bells and whistles but no true exchange.

Thanks to maxcpm we were profitable the first month, and after a few months we upgraded to the enterprise license. We have since then completely offset that cost as well, making us completely profitable.

Day one you will have complete inventory available to build your network with.

ufshane, Jul 28, 2014 IP
  7. wrekoniz3

wrekoniz3 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So let me provide a great reference for you, if you have to ask others how to do it, you need more experience in the business. Find an ad network to work for, build relationships, contacts, credibility, and more importantly experience.

Running a network cant be easy, and surely running a business of any kind comes with headaches, just many more in a service based business involving paying people from around the world money.

wrekoniz3, Jul 30, 2014 IP
  8. nilar

nilar Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I know ... I already have my daily dose of headaches.

In fact I'd like to start very small, with publishers and advertisers I already know, maybe with one country and business sector only.

nilar, Jul 30, 2014 IP
  9. michaelreyes

michaelreyes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Obviously you want high quality publishers. But the biggest thing you can do for a new ad network is to make sure you have high quality traffic. Not to mention avoiding click fraud.

michaelreyes, Jul 31, 2014 IP
  10. WMADV WEBMEDIA

WMADV WEBMEDIA Member

Best Answers:
    There are few actions needed to be taken before starting your own ad-network:
    1. Decide what type of media and campaigns you wish to run (premium campaigns, display or categorized traffic...), and list the topics you will focus on: Will you only buy traffic in order to re-sell it or will you also run your own campaigns?
    2. Choose a network management platform. To efficiently manage all of the moving pieces in your network, you will have to license a network technology or work as an external buyer/seller without a permanent sit.
    3. Look for competitors and think of an advantage you have -such as exclusive traffic, special ads, etc - something that will attract publishers/advertisers to work with you.
    4. Decide on a pricing model (cpm, cpc, performance or all together).
    5. Make sure you can run reports efficiently and that you have secure billing system.
    6. Calculate your costs: of the platform, technical issues, bills, publisher payments, etc.
    7. Make a list of publishers and advertisers and they're contacts.

WMADV WEBMEDIA, Aug 7, 2014 IP
  11. Webcenter

Webcenter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can you share those 4-5 adserver scripts? By luck, ever tried inoutscripts adserver and phpwebscript admanager pro? Can you share your experience with these scripts?

Thank you for your time dear friend!

Webcenter, Aug 11, 2014 IP