1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Things i could do with VPS?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by invisible121, Feb 22, 2008.

My whole life, i only experienced managing a shared hosting, it will be my first time for VPS next week. I wonder what things could i do with it? Is there a site online that teaches me the basics on how to manage VPS? And i remember, the OS is CentOS, is that linux? And another thing, it comes with lxAdmin, are there any ways i could run linux commands even it has its lxAdmin control panel on it? I wonder if i could unrar password protected .rar files too.. thank you..

invisible121, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  2. Hendry Lee

Hendry Lee Peon

Best Answers:
    You can so everything in VPS like in dedicated hosting.

Yes, CentOS is just another Linux distribution (RedHat).

Usually VPS also provides access to shell command, so you can run any linux command.

Hendry Lee, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  3. OnyxChase

OnyxChase Banned

Best Answers:
    Which VPS company are you going with?

OnyxChase, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  4. rllunzmann

rllunzmann Active Member

Best Answers:
    CentOS also has become increasingly popular but they are quite similiar as far any differences are concerned. Also, as a VPS owner, you should have the ability to login to it as "root" allowing much more modifications then a normal reseller would have. If you use this VPS to resell space you may want to tweak some securities though.

rllunzmann, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  5. gate2vn

gate2vn Peon

Best Answers:
    Managing a vps is the same with managing a dedicated server. It requires knowledge about OS, software, system. If you don't know anything, you should be better with a managed vendor. We just got a new customer in Indonesia yesterday. After comparing many things, he signed up as a semi-managed customer. After one day, after reviewing what we have done for initial settings, he decided to upgrade to managed customer :) By that way, he can focus on his business, doesn't have to spend time on vps management job.

For your specific questions:
    - CentOS is a Linux distribution. It's re-compiled from RHE
    - vps can comes with LXAdmin, or other control panels like cPanel or DirectAdmin.
    - if you want to execute linux commands, you can login ssh. If you are using Windows, you can try with Putty. With MAC, it has terminal already.
    - for unrar normal files, yes you can. I am just not sure about password-protected file, cause I haven't done it before :)

gate2vn, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  6. invisible121

invisible121 Banned

Best Answers:
    About logging in to SSH, how is the flow on that? Is it similar to DOS? like all i see is black screen, choose a directory by using "CD" command, find the rar file and execute the command to unrar it? Do you know a site for VPS beginners? Thanks you...

invisible121, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  7. gate2vn

gate2vn Peon

Best Answers:
    Default Linux installation doesn't come with unrar, you will need to install it. Check this: unrar on Linux

gate2vn, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  8. ilovelinux

ilovelinux Peon

Best Answers:
    You can use putty in accessing the machine. Yes the interface a lot like DOS. Probably, you should be studying first the Linux OS.

ilovelinux, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  9. jagannath_4all

jagannath_4all Peon

Best Answers:
    I advise you stay with the Lxadmin control panel itself for all your management. Its pretty flexible and easy. I was unsure to shift from my shared hosting using cpanel to my current VPS using Lxadmin.. but after a few days itself I was comfortable with Lxadmin. also unlike dedicated server (without remote reboot) you can reboot your VPS from your VPS control panel which must be probably HyperVM (as your VPS has Lxadmin :D )

if you really wanna login to SSH you must know a few linux commands and should be sure of what you are doing :p

Also if you have SSH I recommend that you set it up such that you can login using a public key and private key instead of using a user ID and pass. this is good from a security point of view as you can prevent brute force logins to your SSH port. (this is a bit tough to setup for newbs so you must take help of some pro)

puTTy is great for SSH client (and you can use puttygen for generating keys as I said in the above paragraph)

_

jagannath_4all, Feb 24, 2008 IP
  10. invisible121

invisible121 Banned

Best Answers:
    Is there a simulator wherein i could practice SSH commands using my computer? Maybe a VMWare or virtual pc with a CentOS 5 installed on it? or a CentOS 5 Live CD? Is that possible? Thanks for the replies.. :)

invisible121, Feb 25, 2008 IP
  11. invisible121

invisible121 Banned

Best Answers:
    Are there any ways i could run my VPS just like a normal CentOS PC? Like viewing the desktop and stuff using a client? Create files, save, edit, intall files just like a normal computer but remotely? tnx

invisible121, Mar 2, 2008 IP
  12. hent666

hent666 Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, by installing a GUI application. There are some tutorials on the net, but I haven't tryed any tho :\

hent666, Mar 18, 2009 IP
  13. Frozennova

Frozennova Peon

Best Answers:
    you may want to check with your vps provider if you are allowed to run vnc as I wanted vnc and my host disallows it due to the high usage of resources.

Frozennova, Mar 20, 2009 IP
  14. invisible121

invisible121 Banned

Best Answers:
    It's funny looking back to this thread, I got some Virtual Private Servers already located on different sides of the world. All of them got VNC and I also have a windows vps for a windows remote desktop. I'm thinking of a dedicated server but I don't think I need it now for what I do. Let's see after some few months.. :)

invisible121, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  15. Frozennova

Frozennova Peon

Best Answers:
    I have ssh access but as far as connecting through vnc so I can use gnome or kde they dont allow this :( as Im not yet a linux shell guru

Regards

Frozennova, Mar 22, 2009 IP
  16. diabloroxx

diabloroxx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So how did you go about it? I just bought a VPS and am looking for option just as how you did 1 year back.

diabloroxx, Jun 18, 2009 IP
  17. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    you can start from this tutorial: http://mysql-apache-php.com (look for debian/centos)
    As a beginner, i wrote this.

One advice - dont leave your server open without installing a firewall.

olddocks, Jun 18, 2009 IP
    diabloroxx likes this.
  18. diabloroxx

diabloroxx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow thanks a lot for summing it all up for me. I really appreciate it. To think I spent such a long time doing half of what you have mentioned is really frustrating. But thanks again. Reps added for the favor and time.

diabloroxx, Jun 18, 2009 IP