1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Wordpress 2.7 Thread !!!

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by MeetHere, Dec 3, 2008.

so the new wordpress script 2.7 will be out after few hours...

Post your tips, feedbacks and comments. ;)

MeetHere, Dec 3, 2008 IP
  2. spencerp

spencerp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It will be released after a few hours? Hmm, I didn't hear anything about that on their email lists...? It's currently still RC1. Or, do you have inside scoop on these things? :p

spencerp, Dec 3, 2008 IP
  3. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
  4. Steupz

Steupz Peon

Best Answers:
    well finally...I've had all sorts of drama happen to my site waiting on this

Steupz, Dec 3, 2008 IP
  5. ThePhoenixBird

ThePhoenixBird Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is getting even better and better on each release, just hope that they could start moving to more CMS features in the next releases.

Wordpress 2.7 a.k.a Plugin Breaker!

ThePhoenixBird, Dec 3, 2008 IP
  6. resaik_king

resaik_king Active Member

Best Answers:
    Can I update my previous Wp version to this one with affecting my posts?

resaik_king, Dec 3, 2008 IP
  7. Steupz

Steupz Peon

Best Answers:
    of course you can resaik, but backup your blog first if you're the efficient type.
    From what I've seen the improvements are mostly to the admin panel

Steupz, Dec 3, 2008 IP
  8. spencerp

Best Answers:
    Thanks MeetHere! I hadn't been around following their blogs lately. It wasn't really mentioned too much on their email lists either... Thanks again! :D That's awesome though, it's about time! I'm always running their "Trunk" versions. After they release this, they'll soon start on 2.8-bleeding or whatever and that's what I'll be on too. :D

spencerp, Dec 3, 2008 IP
  9. spencerp

Best Answers:
    Eer, wait... From Ryan's blog: http://boren.nu/archives/2008/12/03/hear-that-27-a-comin/

"As announced on the wordpress.com blog, 2.7 is coming to wordpress.com tomorrow. The final release of 2.7 won’t be here until next week. There is still a lot of coordination and management type stuff to do before we’re ready to release."

spencerp, Dec 3, 2008 IP
  10. What now?

What now? Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like the 2.7 beta release, curious if I'll notice the difference between it and final. I haven't had any issues.

What now?, Dec 4, 2008 IP
  11. spencerp

Best Answers:
    Well, from what I gather, there wasn't much changed or done from Beta release to the RC1 version. A few back-end cosmetic updates, "HTTP" updates, "Press This" updates, Stylesheet updates, Menu Updates, Import Updates, and etc. Really mainly just cosmetic updates and so forth, nothing super huge.

They were still getting "bug reports" via the email lists and they're working hard to squash them. IMHO, it should be a lot nicer once final release. :D

spencerp, Dec 4, 2008 IP
  12. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    You guys know that this is going to be a crisis, right? You won't be able to upgrade until all of your plugins are compatible with his new BUILD (note "build," not "upgrade" this time). Those of us using really old plugins that have been abandoned (like Adsense Deluxe) are particularly screwed.

Be sure to make a hidden copy of your site and upgrade it for testing purposes...and note any problems that happen.

Pixelrage, Dec 4, 2008 IP
  13. spencerp

Best Answers:
    Markn26 is right, at least for the initial first few months after it's released. Unless, of course, the plugin authors are up to speed and update their plugins as soon as WP 2.7 is released (or shortly afterward). Which is usually rare, because there's still a lot of plugins not compatible with the recent past released versions of WP.

They keep modifying the core code so much, that it's giving the plugin authors a run for their money. Sometimes I mention it on their email list... that's ridiculous to have the following setup...

- A compatible list of plugins and themes JUST FOR version: 2.0.xx
    - A compatible list of plugins and themes JUST FOR version: 2.4
    - A compatible list of plugins and themes JUST FOR version: 2.5
    - A compatible list of plugins and themes JUST FOR version: 2.6
    - A compatible list of plugins and themes JUST FOR version: 2.7

Just keep the core code the same, and keeping the plugins and themes all compatible for the same core code, would be a cinch! But, since they started taking "community votes" for new features and so forth, it almost asks for all this change too. So, it's a can't win for losing deal.

You pay one way or the other, if "they" want some awesome features... you get them, but just deal with the complications and waiting for plugin updates. If you don't want them, you won't usually get them, unless of course the "community" out votes your NOT wanting it, and they'd still implement it anyway. And everything is complicated no matter which way you look at it.

spencerp, Dec 4, 2008 IP
  14. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, is that why it keeps changing, because of community votes for new things? Honestly, it's fine as is. I really wouldn't change anything about it. If anything, Wordpress should be updated once a year, and should just address security issues between those times...

Pixelrage, Dec 4, 2008 IP
  15. spencerp

Best Answers:
    spencerp, Dec 4, 2008 IP
  16. AGamer

AGamer Banned

Best Answers:
    What will change?

AGamer, Dec 4, 2008 IP
  17. gsv13

gsv13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yh what are the new features?

gsv13, Dec 4, 2008 IP
  18. JMC

JMC Peon

Best Answers:
    I also love how if you want to keep an older version the damn software NAGS you to update the script.

I got a lot of Wordpress love, but it just seems like there's plugin breakers constantly.

JMC, Dec 4, 2008 IP
  19. spencerp

Best Answers:
    @Agamer, a lot of things can / will change. Depending on "what" gets voted on the most, by the community itself. That, and whatever the developers feel needs added to the core code. But currently, nothing has really changed since the Beta release. And all the current changes that will be in 2.7 version, can be found in the link I listed below here for gsv13.

gsv13, the new features can be found here:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Version_2.7

JMC, I'm not sure why you're getting that prompt to update though. I updated the girlfriend's to 2.6.5 and her blog doesn't keep asking her to update. You might have a really older version right? And yeah, you'll need to make sure you're grabbing the right plugins for the right versions of WP.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Plugins/Plugin_Compatibility

spencerp, Dec 4, 2008 IP
  20. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]
    previously the countdown started showing in the admin panel.. but they have again decided to postpone its launch on 10th dec. :(

MeetHere, Dec 4, 2008 IP