1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Update is over...

Discussion in 'Google' started by wrkalot, Feb 11, 2005.

1. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:
    I have more pages showing up in google, but about half of them are no longer cached. They show up when i do the site:url command, just with no title or description or showing that it's cached. any idea why that might be the case?

Also, my site has been up for a little over a month, with serious backlinks only coming in the past few weeks. Think I missed any chance for a PR and ranking update? I don't see any difference, but i know i have quite a few PR5 and 6 linking to me.

wendydettmer, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  2. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure what you are seeing, but the Mcdar tool still has 10 DCs or more showing old results.

schlottke, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  3. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I see a different amount of backlinks on several datacenters.

fryman, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  4. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    I had ranked, on one site in particular, between #9 and #7 for my keywords out of 10,500,000 results for quite some time.

As this update began, I shot to #1, then down to #2 the next day. Then the new/odd results started coming in, and have now stuck. I'm no where to be found. A site that has linked to me is showing up on page two of the new results with a link to me. I can't make any sense out of it.

Not even sure where to start now. Awkwardly enough, google bot is all over my site today with hundreds of pages visits. The google bot visits never seemed to be affected, only that I dropped off the map in the serps. I had 33,000 pages indexed, now show 10,000 or so. I may just wait for a while and let people who have far more experience at this than I do, break down what happened and plan my course of action then.

GTech, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  5. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Strange... when I check my logs, I see a word that brought a visitor from Google. My log says the word was in top-10. I do a check at Google, and I can't find my site anywhere with that keyword...

For another keyword, I do a check in the morning, and it google there are 1,950,000 results. I check in the afternoon, and there are 850,00 results. I check next morning, and back to 1,950,000

WTF??

fryman, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  6. SENewbie

SENewbie Peon

Best Answers:
    A bunch of my pages are not cached anymore either. At first I thought some code on my site was making a bunch of my pages too similar to each other, but after reading this thread it might just be due to this update. And last Sunday and today my traffic is as low as it's been in a long time, but the rest of this past week was fine.

I guess it's best to wait and see what happens when all my pages get cached again.

SENewbie, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  7. wrkalot

wrkalot Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    At the time that I started this thread yesterday ALL datacenters were showing the new results. Verified by 2 different tools, mcdar and scroogle. *shrug*

wrkalot, Feb 12, 2005 IP
  8. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    Are u sure?

crazyhorse, Feb 12, 2005 IP
  9. janecompersnews

janecompersnews Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is crazy. I've got three different allinanchor: results across the DCs for my main keyword. 2nd, 4th and nowhere :(

Jane

janecompersnews, Feb 12, 2005 IP
  10. wrkalot

wrkalot Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It was first reported on SEO Chat, I quickly checked and saw the same thing. Looks like it didn't last long. Too bad really. Even though I seem to be a winner with this update I sure would like it to be over, win or lose.

wrkalot, Feb 12, 2005 IP
  11. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Things seem to be fairly stable for me, and overall all sites I am watching improved. Some big jumps and some went from 2 or 3 to #1.

Today is the only day this week were there were more - (negatives) and only 3 positives in the movement in my list.

debunked, Feb 12, 2005 IP
  12. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    I still see 6 Datacenters that have yet to update!

and these 6 Datacenters still report the old positions for my sites that now show remarkable comebacks with the February 6th algo change.

So, while some things seem to have stabilized, I am still seeing things continue to fluctuate from hour to hour and Datacenter to Datacenter.

... I hate to disrupt the apple cart here - but the "fat lady has not sung yet" :cool:

Caryl

mcdar, Feb 12, 2005 IP
  13. wizardofx

wizardofx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is more red ink than green in my keyword tracker results, most of the green were for terms that went from 77 to 65, this latest update didn't propel anything to the first page that wasn't already there, and dropped a few off the first page.

HOWEVER, visitors and sales have shot up, the last two days orders were both double the daily average for January.

wizardofx, Feb 12, 2005 IP
  14. mxlabs

mxlabs Peon

Best Answers:
    lost tons of backlinks during the bl update on ALL of my sites, rankings didn't change a lot though. quite a boring update for me.

mxlabs, Feb 12, 2005 IP
  15. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    I'm seeing the same for my sites/keywords on these. Small window of hope. Any info on those data centers? Have they historically carried any more weight in an update than others? I guess I'm just looking for any hope of a possible return of the old results.

GTech, Feb 12, 2005 IP
  16. Agent47

Agent47 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, these datacenters are showing old results for my keywords

Agent47, Feb 12, 2005 IP
  17. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    No, no particular Datacenters dominate over the others.

But, while some think things are over, here is a view of what the results are for ONE of my pages, for ONE keyword search over the course of the last 9 days. Note that I record things several times a day so you can see just how many changes are going on.

Datacenter Results February 2005

Caryl

mcdar, Feb 12, 2005 IP
  18. nfzgrld

nfzgrld Peon

Best Answers:
    That's interesting. Anyone who thinks the update is over hasn't seen my results. There are still 6 DCs showing me at 1 bl instead of the 50 all the others are showing. I'm a bit concerned because that count is at least two days old. I'm wondering what's going on in those last 6 DCs.

nfzgrld, Feb 14, 2005 IP
  19. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Holy cow, and I thought my results were all over the place. Here's what's really weird about this update tho, my traffic is down by about half most days since the update, but my adsense revenue has not really taken that much of a hit even though the number of clicks has fallen somewhat, each click seems to be paying higher dividends. I thought for sure when my traffic fell by half or more that my revenue would as well. It only seems to be off by about 20%. Now I can only imagine what kind of revenue I'd be generating if I had my traffic back with the current ctr and price per click :(

mopacfan, Feb 14, 2005 IP
  20. wizardofx

wizardofx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Now that the numbers are in, the week before the update I had my record in google referrals, last week they were off by 7% from that peak.

Still had good sales though . . .

wizardofx, Feb 14, 2005 IP