1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Unofficial DP Winter '06 Affiliate Noob's Challenge thread

Discussion in 'Affiliate Programs' started by Mister Tut, Jan 13, 2006.

1. nextebizguy

nextebizguy Peon

Best Answers:
    Happynomad,

You can do all that you are mentioning with affiliate traffic. It's really going to depend on how much time/effort you want to give to your project. As for which works better, that is something you find out with testing. Adwords lets you switch ads so you can test.

I tried both direct affiliate and sending traffic to a website (that then sells the affiliate product). What I also did on the site was present "similar" products at the bottom just in case the person wasn't interested in X product but saw Y at the bottom and bought that instead.

For me, both converted about the same. When you pick targeted keywords, you're going to get people that are interested in purchasing the product. When the affiliate you promote has the product at a competitive price, you'll make sales.

What finally drove me off was the price of the keywords.

Anteros,

From what I read on marketing (in many books and on sites), the tried and true conversion rate is 1-2%. If you get more that's great, but when considering things you should stick to the 1-2% rule.

Here is a good read on the topic. Check out page 9 of the PDF.

Merchant Survey

Definitely check this site out as well. They list global conversion metrics.

Site Metrics

nextebizguy, Sep 27, 2006 IP
  2. Anteros

Anteros Peon

Best Answers:
    That´s the kind of info I´m looking for, thanks!

I will start my calculations asuming 1% conversion. That would be the worst case since my customers don´t have to buy anything, just request quotations on products they are interested in.

Anteros, Sep 27, 2006 IP
  3. darkpedro

darkpedro Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm brand new to all of this. I read the whole post yesterday. I saw the post on shoemoney's blog for $100 credit for Overture. Thought I'd give it a try with somone else's money.

I found an under-advertised market that I know very well. I joined an affiliate program that gives a 40% return on, but the sales are in the $10-$12 range. Going for volume I hope. I put up the $100 with a $5 limit every day. I don't expect to see a huge return, but enough to get my feet wet. See how it goes. Yahoo will approve my ad in 3 days.

I chose only 1 keyword becuase of my tiny budget. I'll take any earnings and reinvest them.

Wish me luck.

darkpedro, Oct 15, 2006 IP
  4. nextebizguy

nextebizguy Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds great Darkpedro. Be sure and run a few different ad types to test your ad text. I found that certain words were quite helpful in increasing clicks and conversions. You'll also have to watch your position daily. I would also consider adding more words to your campaign. :)

nextebizguy, Oct 15, 2006 IP
  5. sunchy

sunchy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good Luck Dude :p

Try and techniques from Affiliate Project X

Work for me ;) I try

sunchy, Oct 16, 2006 IP
  6. darkpedro

darkpedro Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, after 30 pages, I thought I had a BASIC understanding of the KW game. Sadly, I was very mistaken. Looks like I'll need to go back to read most of it again.

My problem is that my KW had a low quality score. That, or they want $5 for the CPC.

My thought was: I know that people who buy X would be interested in Y. So I should advertise Y with a KW of X. Kind of like building a Taco Bell across the street from McDonalds. Apparently that won't fly.

I'll be reading more going foreward, and any advise you can throw at me, I'd be glad to catch. Unfortunatly, I don't have the extra cash for the programs for sale...

darkpedro, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  7. doc_web

doc_web Peon

Best Answers:
    one of the best thread I have ever read.

gud work all, thanks

i will join in soon

doc_web, Oct 31, 2006 IP
  8. sunchy

sunchy Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks bro

and remember... secret is in learning, testing, optimizing...larning

and then you will see light ;)

sunchy, Oct 31, 2006 IP
  9. amnezia

amnezia Peon

Best Answers:
    I remeber starting out on clickbank when the original thread was posted. I now affiliate for a small number of niche products on clickbank and regularly pull in $1000 per month with around $50-$100 adwords spend which i think is not too bad.

amnezia, Nov 8, 2006 IP
  10. doc_web

doc_web Peon

Best Answers:
    hi guys, hw do you research the keywords for your ad campaign

doc_web, Nov 9, 2006 IP