1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Truth about Smart Pricing

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Crusader, Oct 28, 2005.

1. MisterZee

MisterZee Peon

Best Answers:
    There is a hole in your theory. Advertisers are paying record prices per click.

MisterZee, Nov 9, 2005 IP
  2. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    Any Proof?

Crusader, Nov 9, 2005 IP
  3. MisterZee

MisterZee Peon

Best Answers:
    Not one of us is going to be able to provide proof of anything we assert here. I would never ask you that question for that very reason.

I'm just reflecting my experience and what I've seen other people post about. It seems pretty blatant.

If you want to test this, it's very easy. Open an adwords account. Bid on a rare keyword or even a made up one. Test it for 3 days. Then repeat once a month. Recent changes are so blatant that you will come up with the answer very easily. But it will not be something you can use as proof unless you're willing to post images which probably break Google's TOS and ruin the experiment in future months since the words will be exposed publicly.

MisterZee, Nov 9, 2005 IP
  4. tlainevool

tlainevool Guest

Best Answers:
    Just because advertsiers are paying more per click now than they did last month doesn't mean smart pricing isn't in effect. Remember smart pricing has been around for a year and a half. Smart pricing was in effect last month and this month, so prices going up or down doesn't have anything to do with smart pricing.

tlainevool, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  5. MisterZee

MisterZee Peon

Best Answers:
    You're missing the point. But never mind.

MisterZee, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  6. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    There are two holes in your theory.

Nothing to support that everyone is paying more per clicks and nothing to support everyone making less per click.

aeiouy, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  7. tlainevool

tlainevool Guest

Best Answers:
    What point am I missing? There are a lot of misconceptions about smart pricing. And there is a lot no one (except Google) can ever know. I'd like to learn as much about it as possible, so I'm all ears if you have some good thoughts about it.

8. ElvisFan

ElvisFan Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's my take on the issue of Smart Pricing.

Adsense/Google is a corporation they are in the business to make money
    and carefully watch their bottom line!

Should the bottom line dip they will get their PhD's to think of a way to increase the downward trend.

It would be naive to think that a BIG corporation such as Google would implement a new algo that would loose them money or decrease their profit margin.

Now they make the excuse that all will benefit. Telling advertisers and publishers that they will make more by this SP scheme.

Alas, the only ones increasing their bottom line is Adsense.

Now that many publishers have jumped ship... again, Adsense has noticed the downward trend they implement the referral scheme. An incentive to initiate publisher loyalty. How many publisher will leave if they realise that Adsense will continue to reap revenue after they close their account.

nuff said......

ElvisFan, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  9. dzcap

dzcap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Everything I've tried to fix this smart pricing has failed. I've just moved my other site over which gets a lot less visitors and it earned more than adsense already. What does that tell you about adsense?

dzcap, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  10. ElvisFan

ElvisFan Peon

Best Answers:
    What it tells you is that Smart Pricing hasn't hit your new site yet... wait a while and I bet you SP will kick in within 48 hours...

I also got hit hard with SP lost half my revenue in the last two months. So I did a major re-vamp changing my code colors - deleting ads from sites that were not performing... my bottom line increased however, only a little.

I don't think we as publishers can ever beat the SP system... only until Adsense notices a huge decrease in publisher jumping ship... then maybe they will limit the SP system to particular sites not across publishers accounts.

I would love to hear Darren's take on how SP has effected his earnings? Now that would be very interesting indeed...

ElvisFan, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  11. tlainevool

tlainevool Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm really trying to understand people's perspective's here.

Why do people always blame Smart Pricing when they see a revenue drop? How do you know it isn't because advertiser's are bidding smaller amount then they were before? How do you know it isn't because Google changed their targeting algorithms and started serving up different ads to your site? How do you know some big advertiser in you niche didn't stop advertising, so the bid amount tumbled? How do you know Google didn't just decide to cut the revenue share you get?

There are many, many variables that affects the amount you earn. Why blame smart pricing?

12. dzcap

dzcap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

So a change from let's say 50 cents to under a penny is not smart pricing? It's not hard to distingush.

dzcap, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  13. MisterZee

MisterZee Peon

Best Answers:
    I wish I had the time to answer you guys but there is a lot more to Adsense than that. There are explanations for all you're seeing. I've been watching closely since adsense began.

Do not put too much effort into changing things radically. Go slow. Google has an algo to stop making too much of an increase no matter what the cause. Even if you have a legitimate spike in traffic. Radical changes will just cost you money. Everyone misinterprets that as SP. It's just Google taking money off the top and making it look like an anti spam measure.

It isn't because I haven't presented evidence that I haven't seen any. But I'm not going to chase down URLs and do your research for you. I wish I had time for that.

MisterZee, Nov 10, 2005 IP
  14. tlainevool

tlainevool Guest

Best Answers:
    So you're saying that Google's smart pricing algorithm suddenly decided that the clicks from your site were converting terribly, so reduced the price it charges the advertiser by 1/50?

tlainevool, Nov 11, 2005 IP
  15. Juan G

Juan G Peon

Best Answers:
    Another of the possibilities is the new site-targeting method (CPM ads). Maybe it needs improvement, because some publishers are complaining about CPM ads replacing higher paying CPC ads, something that -in theory- should not happen.

Juan G, Nov 11, 2005 IP
  16. MisterZee

MisterZee Peon

Best Answers:
    Something people need to keep in mind is that there are budgets and deep math going into how Google can maximize their income. That does not always correlate with a site making the most money. Google has it's PHD's focused on getting advertisers to spend their max budgets. I read an interesting article about that relating to the auction system that google uses on adwords. It's counterintuitive but they employed a system to pull out the max revenue.

So even if on YOUR site a CPM ad brings down the income because you might have had more expensive clicks...if Google knows that somewhere on the network that advertiser will get a click and use up their budget, they don't really care. In fact, their number one preference for showing expensive ads is on the Google Search. Then they can pocket the whole thing.

MisterZee, Nov 11, 2005 IP
  17. dzcap

dzcap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Nah, they suddenly decide to pay me 1/50 not charge the advertisers 1/50. LOL!

dzcap, Nov 11, 2005 IP
  18. MisterZee

MisterZee Peon

Best Answers:
    Just understood his post now. I thought he was serious at first. LOL.

MisterZee, Nov 11, 2005 IP
  19. tlainevool

tlainevool Guest

Best Answers:
    So why do you call it smart pricing then? That is just Google taking a bigger cut. I think that's the thing that is confusing here. People use the term "smart pricing" to mean any type of reduction in the revenue they get.

tlainevool, Nov 11, 2005 IP
  20. dzcap

dzcap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Smart pricing MAY be a result of Google taking a bigger cut. No one really knows how the algo works, I suggest you do your homework.

dzcap, Nov 11, 2005 IP