1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Truth about linking -- Dirk Johnson

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by compar, May 27, 2004.

I just read this very interesting exchange on the LED Digest. The author is Dirk Johnson a well known expert in the filed of links and linking. He dispells many of the myths that exist around this subject.

compar, May 27, 2004 IP
    aeiouy likes this.
  2. dazzlindonna

dazzlindonna Peon

Best Answers:
    Very interesting article. I'm not sure anyone can conclusively proclaim the "truth" about any aspect of Google's algo (except Google), however, my own "beliefs" match Dirk's. And my beliefs are based on my own experiences with my own sites, which of course is limited (twenty-some-odd sites). Nevertheless, it's nice to see such a good summation of my own thought process by someone who is respected in his field.

dazzlindonna, May 27, 2004 IP
  3. SENewbie

SENewbie Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats a great article, thanks for posting. The one quote that really stood out to me was this:

"If you want a link strategy that works well, then forget all of
    gobbledygook on the discussion boards. Success is much more simple
    than that. Just set out to link as if your site traffic depended on
    it, and that Google did not exist."

I've let the link exchanging slide lately since I usually get a couple requests a week from newer sites. But I think its time to resume some efforts in this direction with the above quote in mind.

SENewbie, May 27, 2004 IP
  4. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    I like his point of view. Sounds like good advice to me.

Especially the line ... "Just set out to link as if your site traffic depended on
    it, and that Google did not exist."

Makes sense.

Google is definitely a big player, but if there was no Google/big search engines what would we depend on?
    Inbound links. From anywhere and everywhere.

There are probably little things you can do to help your site out, with Google's SERPs, but the bottom line is traffic, well targeted traffic.

This reminds me ... I need to put more effort into link building. :)
    ----
    SENewbie beat me to it. :)

Such Great Heights, May 27, 2004 IP
  5. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I like that fact that he reconginizes that mant seo 'experts' if there is such a thing use forums to spread bad advice

ferret77, May 28, 2004 IP
  6. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is very difficult to find straight answers. I have seen numerous postings in other forums that indicate outbound links reduce your PageRank(PR).

Great article.

Help Desk, May 28, 2004 IP
  7. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I have site drop in pagerank when i added outbound links but they did not drop in rankings

I aslo think i have gotten ranked for a term that i didn't optimize for by my outgoing links

ferret77, May 28, 2004 IP
  8. mxlabs

mxlabs Peon

Best Answers:
    good article for sure. I like how he thinks "out of the box" and tries to counter the PR madness... for everybody else it is too hard to resist the magic of the green bar obviously.

mxlabs, May 28, 2004 IP
  9. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    PR aside, outbound link are of value to your visitors if they present information that may be of use or interest to your visitors.

I have a page on one of my newer sites that I give people links on for posting in my forum. They get an anchortext link with a paragraph of text describing their site. I only accept sites that are well themed with my site. PR is not even a consideration for me in this case, providing links to sites my visitors may enjoy is.

GuyFromChicago, May 28, 2004 IP
  10. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes and they are from paraniod people who don't really understand what they are talking about. That's the point of the article and why I posted it.

compar, May 28, 2004 IP
  11. steve sardell

steve sardell Peon

Best Answers:
    I too enjoyed his article. I especially enjoyed the dig at certain fora that have been spreading some of these myths for years. What impressed me was the fact he did not need to name them as most already know which he was referring.

steve sardell, May 28, 2004 IP
  12. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    It is amazing how much "mis-information" is out there. Google for one likes to keep their solutions/results simple. They have "solve things with an algorithm" and "affect the entire world" mantras. When I see posts that worry me, from other sites, I just think if it fits with the way Google see's things.

Here's an excellent little article about Google's company that I have hanging on the wall of my cube. It would be great if more companies where like this.

The Google Way

Help Desk, May 29, 2004 IP
  13. Arnica

Arnica Peon

Best Answers:
    There's a lot to be said for your outbound links giving you relevance. I also have several sites that I use to link to my main business site ranking higher than I would have expected for the phrase that only appears in the outbound link anchor text on those sites. The moral is don't worry about PR - build good links (both inbound and outbound) that will keep visitors interested in your site.

These days many visitors seem to be too well aware of sites that are playing SEO games to achieve rank and are wary of doing business with them.

Mick

Arnica, May 29, 2004 IP
  14. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Mick, I agree with you. I feel it is more necessary to gain good linking structure than worrying about a leak in PR. I think if you run a site correctly you'll find yourself on the top of the engines with little effort.

schlottke, May 29, 2004 IP
  15. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    How did forums.DigitalPoint.com do it? This site is at the top of ALOT of searches.

Help Desk, May 29, 2004 IP
  16. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    digitalpoint, May 29, 2004 IP
  17. Arnica

Arnica Peon

Best Answers:
    Undoubtedly!

Arnica, May 29, 2004 IP
  18. steve sardell

steve sardell Peon

Best Answers:
    Originally Posted by ferret77
    Hi ferret77,

There are a number of other reasons you may have lost page rank other than adding outbound links and I would never consider it a cause and effect relation. As an example some of the pages linking to you may have lost rank thus causing your rank to drop. Having out bound links to the best of my knowledge will not cause a dilution in your PR. The key is your rankings did not drop.

steve sardell, May 29, 2004 IP
  19. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Is the phrase used loosely or how does google decide this?

schlottke, May 29, 2004 IP
  20. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    The term authority sites first showed up in either the Local Rank patent application or in the hilltop paper. I'm not sure which and it may be both. I'll give you the links to these below.

The question is, is Google actually using this technology and declaring sites as authority sites. I'm not sure.

Here are the links:

Hilltop paper: http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~georgem/hilltop/

Loacl Rank Patent: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...d=ptxt&s1=6,526,440&OS=6,526,440&RS=6,526,440

compar, May 29, 2004 IP