1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The secrets of google search engine ranking

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by mddv, Sep 20, 2004.

Probably one of the most important things to have when starting a new site is a high search engine ranking. With most sites, search engines can account for up to 95% of traffic. If you're not placed in the first three pages, it's unlikely you'll get any traffic from a search engine. Google is one of the fastest growing search engines, a high listing here will guarantee you traffic. Google's results are also used by Yahoo when it's finished displaying its own results. To get a high ranking in google you need to design your pages and promotional methods around it.First let's look at how google rates pages, obviously their exact ranking system is secretbut the following gives a fair idea:

1. Google works using PageRank. This is a system that allocates a page a score depending on it's importance. This is calculated by looking at all the pages that link to it and how important they are. The more pages that link, the higher the score. The greater the rank of the page pointing to your site, the more it contributes to your page's rank. To quote some of the original google researchers: "For most popular subjects, a simple text matching search that is restricted to web page titles performs admirably when PageRank prioritizes the results". This is important. This tells us that the two most important things to ranking in google are the page's PageRank and it's Title!

2. If a page links to your page (which point 1 tells you is a requirement to any reasonable ranking), then the text of the link to your page counts towards your ranking!

3. Google makes extensive use of "Proximity". This means google looks at pages and can tell how close key words are together. So if the searcher enters "antique spectacles", then the text "antique spectacles" in your document would help slightly more than "antiques and spectacles" and much more than "antique items which include many things such as spectacles". There are ten levels of proximity that words can have.

4. Google looks at visual presentation such as:
    size of text to the rest of the document and boldness of text.

5. Each keyword is looked at and ranked: Title, anchor, URL, text in a large font, text in a small font. Each applying a different weighting.

6. Each of the factors above are calculated in with different ratings. The format of your page has a large effect to start off with but quickly tapers off so a finite limit is reached (i.e. you cannot just fill your page with hundreds and hundreds of copies of perfectly formatted text). This implies that the rule of each keyword applying 3 to 7 times in each 100 words should probably be okay.

So your approach to getting a good ranking on google should be to design and submit your page as follows.

1. Pick your keywords.

2. Ensure your keywords are included in the Title of the document, they MUST be placed next to each other for a good ranking. If this isn't the home
    page (i.e. index.html etc) then name it after your keywords. i.e. keywords-here.html. If your domain name includes the keywords then all the
    better.

3. Repeat the keywords near the top of your page using header tags or at least a large font. Again, make sure they are as close together as possible. ("Antique Spectacles" is better than "Antiques and Spectacles")

4. Design your site with as many pages as possible. Page size doesn't matter but remember that the effect of keywords tapers off so it's probably best to make 300 a maximum. Try to repeat each keyword 3 to 7 times for every hundred words.

5. Keywords should be repeated throughout the whole site, not just the page. Use links back to the home page with the keywords in if possible.

6. Ask as many sites as possible to link to you. Get them to use your keywords in the link text.Forget about Free For All Links or Link Farms, Google considers them spamming and may penalise your site. Do a search for similar sites on google and start trying to get links on the sites that are shown, in all probability they have the high PageRank score that'll help you most. You want LOTS of links.

7. Submit. Also submit to Yahoo, yahoo has a very high PageRank (if you can get on!!).

Good Luck!

Author Information:
    This article was written by Chris Ridings,
    webmaster of http://www.goodlookingcooking.co.uk
    and editor of the "Free Ezine Content" Ezine:
    http://thinkbig.at/ezinecontent and also The
    Richer Times Ezine:
    http://thinkbig.at/richertimes Create your own
    Ezines with Ezine Authoring Kit at
    http://www.goodlookingcooking.co.uk/ezine/ Or get
    FREE ADS in every issue of an ezine at:
    http://www.goodlookingcooking.co.uk/ezine/free.html

ARTICLE PROVIDED BY www.webmasterglobal.com

mddv, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  2. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Eh?....not that I've noticed recently...anybody else?

Foxy, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  3. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    300? Does that mean 300 pages, a page size of 300K, or?

ResaleBroker, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  4. Mel

Mel Peon

Best Answers:
    MDDV I suggest that you research your sources quite a bit better, as this post is a mine of misinformation.

Yahoo does not use Google results

Google does not rank pages in order of Pagerank

Google is currently the biggest search engine but I really doubt if its the fastest growing

The two most important things for ranking at Google do not include pageRank.

Keywords should not be repeated throughout the whole site only on the pages that discuss them...

I am virtually sure that this article was not in fact written by Chris Ridings, who certainly would have not made so many gross errors and would probably be quite upset at seeing his name as the author.

Mel, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  5. Jenny Barclay

Jenny Barclay Peon

Best Answers:
    What can I say?

Maybe the administrator should delete the post as being aimed at confusing the opposition webmasters, or at least putting them in a home for the terminally confused.

Jenny Barclay, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  6. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:

I think you will find that this was written by Chris but a long time ago when he was just learning. It wasn't until after he wrote "PageRank Explained: Everything you’ve always wanted to know about PageRank" and got it wrong that he started to improve his understanding and knowledge. Everything he wrote (and other peoples out of date articles) gets kept alive because it is plagiarised and recycled by the ignorant. It's a damn shame but it's the internet :mad:

- Michael

Michael, Sep 20, 2004 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  7. Mel

Mel Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I'll be damned. I guess I have just never read any of his old stuff, and all his new stuff is very well done and factual. : :eek:

Mel, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  8. PRBot.Com

PRBot.Com Guest

Best Answers:
  9. nohaber

nohaber Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know how this started. IMO, PR is still a major factor. Can you provide some evidence to the contrary?

nohaber, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  10. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Do top 10 results for PR0 and PR1 pages optimized for the phrase in question count as evidence?

T0PS3O, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  11. nohaber

Best Answers:
    Maybe it could count, if you can prove to me that you know the real PageRanks used to rank the results :D You only have the toolbar which does NOT show up-to-date PageRanks. Plus, the toolbar does not show the final DocRank that's written in the index.

nohaber, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  12. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Go for it :D

Foxy, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  13. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    - 2 word key phrase (common ailment) - PR0 (Results 1 - 10 of about 128,000)

150+ UK Overture searches.
    #15 WW
    #4 UK

- 2 word key phrase (brand name) - (Results 1 - 10 of about 170,000)
    430+ UK Overture searches
    #9 WW
    #5+6 UK PR2+PR0

G results counts and Overture stated for 'competitiveness' indication. Both also attratc tons of AdWords ads (8+) so it is a sought after phrase.

T0PS3O, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  14. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Example 1 was PR4 and has been 0-ed two months ago. It has 199 links coming in, none higher than PR4 off the top of my head.

Example 2 has only got internal links coming in none higher than PR2 off the top of my head.

I agree that I don't know the real PR, but a lot of people still seem to judge by the toolbar PR and these examples show indeed there is nothing to worry about IMO if you have low PR. Example one though must be an anomaly as seen on many other sites which got 0-ed but still indexed and ranked well.

This doesn't show much, I know, but it does show some possible examples.

T0PS3O, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  15. nohaber

Best Answers:
    Are the keyphrases "common ailment" and "brand name" or I misunderstood you?

nohaber, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  16. Mel

Mel Peon

Best Answers:
    So what evidence do you have Nohaber that PR is an important part of the Google ranking algo?

Certainly we can see that search results are not ranked in PR order, so its not an overriding consideration, and the fact that many low PR pages rank better than high PR pages would seem to argue that it is not all that important either. I have seen a PR9 google page outranked by a PR4 page for a search engine term.

Practical SEO can totally ignore PR as a ranking factor and still achieve good rankings, although I recognize that PR is generated as a result of the optimization process.

Mel, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  17. murugan

murugan Peon

Best Answers:
    I beleive in this order...

• First 30 words on the page
    • Words in your title tag
    • Keywords in your meta description
    • How many sites link to yours (Quality Links)
    • Keywords showing in links
    • Words on bold
    • Words in URL
    • Having 300 - 500 words on your homepage
    • Keyword density
    • Google page rank (now a days lots of less page ranks sites are in top 20's)

I hope this will help....

murugan, Sep 20, 2004 IP
  18. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    You've got that order of your beliefs wrong!

Anyway...

Nohaber, I didn't mention the exact KW's. I just tried to accurately describe the sort of word in the hope you would accept them as being fairly competitive without having to mention them literally.

The only high-PR benefits I encounter is that if the homepage, or site in general has high PR, it seems to me (not investigated/researched yet by myself to verify) that new pages within that domain/site rank better even if they had no incoming links, no PR themselves etc.

Nohaber, I've read all whitepapers mentioned on your site plus others. I haven't seen any of these mentioning overall site PR or homepage PR affecting deeper-page ranking. Do you have any ideas on this, anything that could confirm or smash my findings?

T0PS3O, Sep 21, 2004 IP
  19. nohaber

Best Answers:
    A high PR page helps because it passes PR to the internal pages via its links. The external PR that comes from incoming links is distributed among all internal pages via the internal linking structure.

Read this article about PageRank. It's the only great one I've read besides the one that I'll write on the subject some day :D It lacks just a few fine pointers.

http://www.iprcom.com/papers/pagerank/

nohaber, Sep 21, 2004 IP
  20. jocknotech

jocknotech Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, from a new person's perspective I thought that was a great post. I read the other comments too...and started to get lost near the end of the postings. I went back and read the first post and then read the others until I got lost again. This is what I got out of it:

1. The two most important things to ranking in google are the page's PageRank and it's Title!. YES or NO

2. If a page links to your page then the text of the link to your page counts towards your ranking. YES or NO

3.Google can tell how close key words are together (my words: and they like it)? YES or NO

4. Google looks size of text to the rest of the document and boldness of text. YES or NO

5. Each keyword is looked at and ranked: Title, anchor, URL, text in a large font, text in a small font. Each applying a different weighting. YES or NO

6. The format of your page has a large effect andi implies that the rule of each keyword applying 3 to 7 times in each 100 words should probably be okay. YES or NO

So your approach to getting a good ranking on google should be to design and submit your page as follows.

1. Pick your keywords. YES or NO

2. Ensure: keywords in the Title and they MUST be placed next to each other. YES or NO

3. Repeat the keywords near the top of your page and close together as possible. YES or NO

4. Design your site with as many pages as possible. Repeat each keyword 3 to 7 times for every hundred words. YES or NO

5. Keywords should be repeated throughout the whole site. Links back to the home page with the keywords in if possible. YES or NO

6. Ask as many sites as possible to link to you. Get them to use your keywords in the link text. YES or NO

7. Submit. Also submit to Yahoo. YES or NO

Regards,

JockNoTech

jocknotech, Sep 21, 2004 IP