1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Sarah Palin Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by stOx, Aug 31, 2008.

1. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    Pizza, I'm going to ask you politely to keep to points of substance. Any parent, Republican, Democrat, unaffiliated, would be offended to be smeared with the most vile label a parent knows, simply on the basis of party membership.

In other words, I'm going to ask you to cut the crap, and stick to substance, though you are free to tell me to go to hell, of course.

northpointaiki, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  2. pizzaman

pizzaman Active Member

Best Answers:
    pizzaman, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  3. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes , there are facts and there are interpretations:

He says it as if it is a FACT that people in small Midwest towns cling to
    • god
    • guns
    • religion
    • antipathy-to-those-that-arent-like-them (btw - there's another word for that)
    • anti-immigrant sentiment
    • anti-trade sentiment
    Given the quote, he's merely explaining WHY people in small midwest towns are uninformed and bigoted. No doubt it played well in San Francisco. Hope it was fun.

Interpret it any way you want. Anyone that spoke that way behind my back and asked for my vote would get all the consideration he deserves... none.

robjones, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  4. damian.hoffman

damian.hoffman Peon

Best Answers:
    As one that comes from a small Midwestern town, I'd say his remarks were pretty damn accurate. :)

damian.hoffman, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  5. pizzaman

pizzaman Active Member

Best Answers:
    he is correct. the only thing that the republicans care about seems to be guns and abortion. they have even trown out the rest of their values as i have shown

6. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    OK...then why don't you go to any source that you want and tell me where I have posted anything about the candidates resume that is not true. You have the floor.

While you are at it. I found more proof of a smear campaign...somebody has put up a completely misleading and false video of John McCain referring to Hilary Clinton's policies as "Lipstick on a Pig". Now I know this can't be true because the Mccain camp would never shoot themselves in the foot by asking Obama to make a formal apology for using the same term, the same way.
    THE LINK

hmansfield, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  7. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I already said the analogy is one I've used before, so there's nothing wrong with it by itself... but with both opposing candidates using it right after her lipstick quote ... pausing while the Dems snicker... it's an obvious double entendre. Your agreement isnt required, still obvious.

They thought they were cute, now they lost a news cycle explaining it. Didnt hurt her, just showed they arent very bright. They're falling behind and time is short. I hope they waste more on similarly brilliant ideas.

8. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I assume you mean the McCain camp, after all they are the ones that immediately put out a commercial using video from Obama's talk, using the term. and it was pulled when CBS complained that it used a CBS anchor in the spot, and it was evident that McCain had used the same terminology against a woman politician.
    I will agree with you on one thing , with just over 50 days left, the whole issue was a cry babies waste of time.

9. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yep... with Obama falling behind and losing momentum you'd think he'd spend his time better. It's gonna be tight, but if the lines stagnate here he'll be the next almost president. He's not proving to be an especially good strategist.

10. jkjazz

jkjazz Peon

Best Answers:

Exactly right!

jkjazz, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  11. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't say that. But I would say the McCain camp is out strategizing the Obama camp since the Palin pick.
    But while they are outplaying the Obama campaign, one of the consequences for me is that McCain is losing some of my respect.
    The Palin pick was obviously a political choice, and now we see that playing out.
    The Clinton campaign played the sexism card all throughout the campaign, and somewhat effectively. I think we now see that that was one of the considerations that went into McCain picking a woman. Anything that can be stretched into a sexist statement will be.
    In the VP debates, Biden will be damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

LogicFlux, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  12. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The news I watched did put 'Huck' in front for the longest time, with the momentum to win. Until he suffered loss after loss at the polls.

Does media play a roll? Of course it does, it's also a primary reason a third party can not break out. Did it play a roll with Huck? I don't think so, if anything it artificially put him on a pedestal he quickly was removed from.

GRIM, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  13. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm other items are also proven false that people are liking. It is the message being sent out by the campaign so surely it is the main reason people like about her. The supposed reformer image, telling Washington 'no'

People I speak to surely appear to state that's the main reason they like her.

If that's the case, which it is, then I guess you do agree.

GRIM, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  14. northpointaiki

northpointaiki Guest

Best Answers:
    I think this is a very apt point, and goes to the notion spoken of earlier. The media sniffs a mounting wave, and rides it. When no longer salient, it abandons it for another wave.

northpointaiki, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  15. homebizseo

homebizseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Fact Check

"The attacks on Governor Palin have been called 'completely false' ... 'misleading.' And, they've just begun. The Journal reports Obama 'air-dropped a mini-army of 30 lawyers, investigators and opposition researchers' into Alaska to dig dirt on Governor Palin. As Obama drops in the polls, he'll try to destroy her. Obama's 'politics of hope?' Empty words."

Obama's only education accomplishment was legislation to teach sex education to kindergartners.

[​IMG]

homebizseo, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  16. pizzaman

pizzaman Active Member

Best Answers:
  17. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    All I can say about what are supposed false allegations against Sarah Palin is, you can go directly to the Alaskan State government website, and look into the archives...it is public record.
    You can also check out the Anchorage Times, they didn't all of a sudden turn against Palin and start archiving articles from 2006 against her.

Everytime something about Palin is proven, the response is..."It's a smear campaign...", or "OH yeah?.....well Obama did this...."
    There is more to this campaign than what is on the surface...I do not believe it is about just the issues, because McCain seems to be repeating the same speech from the convention over, and over again, and every now and then his people launch an ad based on the latest daily story.
    I thought the one insinuating Obama was in favor of sex education for 5 year olds was particularly low.

It was in actuality an attempt to educate children about improper behavior against them, and educate them on how to get help. It was to help children...something that so many who are victims of abuse never had.

Quick witted snaps and finger waving aside.....That was a low blow, and very distasteful.

18. homebizseo

homebizseo Peon

Best Answers:
    homebizseo, Sep 10, 2008 IP
  19. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    You are seriously not making your case for your candidate with a You Tube video posted by some guy, and photo shopped images are you ?

How about some links to newspaper articles, Government websites, State Government Archives, Senate Voting records, things that are absolute documentation.

At least when I write against the McCain campaign I post sources, multiple.

You can't refute government public records, and the candidates own words and signatures.

Here is another little snippet for you on how the McCain camp has distorted the facts to influence appearance and opinion. This is not from some blogger like me, it's from the source , about McCains latest ad misusing words from a respected source. Factcheck.org

More of the same smear conspiracy, I guess.

20. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually there really HAVE been a bountiful number of attempted smears against her... oddly a huge number of which are gender related. If we're going to discuss low blows it is absolutely fair to mention that standing in front of a microphone and gravely wondering if she's irresponsible to be a mother AND a VP candidate is purely sexist. That's not a lie... just a fact, no avoiding it. The Dems are shooting themself in the foot every time they go there.

As for saying "well Obama did this..."... well, he's running for the highest office in the land. Despite the wishes of the media he will be held to a higher standard as he IS running for a higher office than she is. He needs to bring something to the table besides a good speech. If he doesnt like it he might wanna wait until he has the credentials for the job to run for it. It the Dems don't like it maybe they shouldve brought a ticket that didnt include a rookie on top. The girl has blue collar roots and is having a dramatic effect with blue collar voters.

So far they are letting a newly minted governor dominate the airwaves to the point they're liable to blow an election they should have been able to win handily just on the fact that there is broad displeasure with the current GOP administration. It looks like it's gonna be tight, but it was their election to lose... and right now it looks like they'll implode and do exactly that.