1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Rich Jerk: anybody bought it?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by FlashVictim, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm coming out with one shortly, see my sig. PM me and I can send you a three-page sample showing the kind of content you'll find in the book.

Maybe I'll send a free one to IamNed so he can lambaste me in public about it :)

Eric Giguere, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  2. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Eric

lol

I'll take a copy I can always learn something.....

Sem-Advance, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  3. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    me too! :) i'd like to see the three pages too. it probably contained the very reason i'm not doing so well. ;)

devin, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  4. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, I'll just post a link here: Protecting Publisher Privacy. Like I said, this is a sample of the kind of material I'm writing for the book. Not too much whitespace, lots of content... when I'm done writing I'll put together a free "preview" version which contains the full table of contents as well as a few of the tips. This is my first true e-book, and it's an interesting project. (The mechanics of writing it are fairly easy... I just use OpenOffice 2.0. It has a nice "Export to PDF" feature which makes it VERY simple to create the final PDF version of the book. Of course, the actual writing is not so easy...)

Eric Giguere, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  5. mohdsoft

mohdsoft Peon

Best Answers:

Thanks. I will read and see how interesting your writing is;)

mohdsoft, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  6. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Hopefully someone will start a thread about how bad your e-book sucks, prompt hundreds of replies and really boost your sales ;)

It seems to have helped Joel Comm and Rich Jerk!

On the other hand, if it's too good maybe nobody will talk about it.....hmmm

MattL, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  7. amad

amad Peon

Best Answers:
    No offense, but you have been making tons of cash from junk sites for a long time. I see that you have your adsense back up on these sites and that tells me it pays off. Please, do us all a favor and write an e-book on how to do this.

You have a lot of cabbies that think of you as the 'Snake', so help your cabbies make money to.

amad, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  8. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    There ar no secrets to adsense. Just build content that is very well optimized for the engines. Just keep building.

IamNed, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  9. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    There are no secrets, no, but there are stupidities, gotchas and didn't-know-thats.

Eric Giguere, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  10. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I like the book name.

Just curious...did you check with Google before using the domain? They have been much more diligent the last year or so about cracking down on domains that include there TMs. Their lawyers contacted me and made me turn over one of mine a while back.

MattL, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  11. sasamsa

sasamsa Peon

Best Answers:
    I bought that Joel Comm book but I don't have time to read it and I am so lazy...

sasamsa, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  12. Cutter

Cutter Peon

Best Answers:
    Am I the only one who thinks that the Rich Jerk looks mysteriously like Leisure Suit Larry?

To add something valuable to this discussion, everyone says "oh you can get all this info for free on forums." I've spent probably 1,000+ hours on forums in just the last year. I'd pay thousands of dollars for someone to sum up all the good stuff I've read in that time -- and guess what, it would probably be less than 50 pages. Hell, the best ideas would fit on about 5 pages.

Cutter, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  13. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    No. I tried to get permission to display AdSense ads on MakeEasyMoneyWithGoogle.com after they disabled the ad serving to that domain, but no go. However, they haven't (yet) told me to give up the domain. We'll see what happens.

Eric Giguere, Feb 8, 2006 IP
  14. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    Funny, pricing's on my mind because I have to decide what I'm going to charge for the new book (suggestions, anyone?)

I really doubt that anyone would be willing to pay that much. I mean, look at the squawking about the $97 for Joel's book. At that price level people expect things like a bunch of CDs/DVDs, several printed manuals/books, even a seminar or two. It would be a very hard sell!

Eric Giguere, Feb 8, 2006 IP
  15. Art West

Art West Peon

Best Answers:
    One great lesson all could learn is simply reading the Rich Jerk's pitch on therichjerk.com. It is brilliant selling, totally tuned to the desires of his target audience (which I'm sure he carefully researched). He creates a persona of the guy everyone envies and would secretly love to be. Reading his site you're saying to yourself, yes, yes, now I can finally tell the boss "take this job and shove it." The writing is emotional, drives straight to the heart of the target audience and pushes every button within that mind and heart. It's pure marketing craftsmanship. He could be selling toilet seats, and people would be shelling out their cash. I haven't bought his book, but I gotta say, the guy is a great marketer who understands his audience.

Art

Art West, Feb 14, 2006 IP
  16. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    They do disable ads running on domains that have one of their trademarks in the name.
    Funny because one so called surf program that advertises heavily that by joining, all their members will see your sites and click on the ads, and you will do the same to their sites....well, all the sites in rotation come up good, except that the adsense ads are slowly being disabled on those sites. As google finds those sites being used in surf programs, they disable the ads.

I have a domain that has adsense in the url, disabled adsense by google within 3 weeks of me going live. But they told me I could use the site, just could not have adsense plus I had to put a disclaimer that the site was not affiliated with, part of, etc of google or google adsense program.
    So I put it on sedo.com for sale yesterday or the day before.
    And making money having it parked there!

Thank you for reading.

iowadawg, Feb 14, 2006 IP
  17. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    dawg, do you mean the surfadsense or adsensesurf or something domain? i know one of them is for sale...

devin, Feb 14, 2006 IP
  18. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    http://www.surfadsense.com that is for sale on sedo.
    I was there this morning, and that site parked there has made a grand total of 25cents.
    I don't know since I did not really read all about sedo if that is what I get when it sells, or what.

I could not come up with a good thing to do with that site. Kind of useless unless I came up with an anti-adsense site and filled it with yahoo or chitika ads.
    The thought did cross my mind.

iowadawg, Feb 14, 2006 IP
  19. biglarry

biglarry Peon

Best Answers:
    I bought it, and it's not bad. Worthwhile if you are making under $500 per month. More than that, and you probably already know everything he tells you.

biglarry, Feb 15, 2006 IP
  20. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I read that same pitch and my emotional response was the exact opposite.

It made me feel sick like I wanted to throw up.

And I have read the book and it was a complete waste of time.

If you must spend money, buy Joel's book instead.

Or, read the FAQ -- it's free.

Will.Spencer, Feb 15, 2006 IP