1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Rich Jerk: anybody bought it?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by FlashVictim, Jan 5, 2006.

1. matrixxdg

matrixxdg Peon

Best Answers:
    I bought when I was new to adsense and stuff. I found it to be very beneficial.

I have put a couple of it's suggestion to action and it has worked great.

But agree with other inputs, if you are not going to do it now....save your cash.

Matrixxdg

matrixxdg, Jan 11, 2006 IP
  2. UWStudent

UWStudent Peon

Best Answers:
    I bought the Rich Jerk ebook a long time ago.

Basically, he outlines several different ways of making money on the internet but all of them are pretty obvious. Many people try it but fail because it takes a ton of hard work to get success.

There isnt any secret to making your project an instant success. Just through a ton of dedication and hardwork.

The book is just a very general collection of ideas proven to be profitable and a general plan about how to get started in it. As for making the ideas successful, that all depends on how much the reader puts into the project.

So in conclusion, this book might be good for the beginner who hasn't got a clue but its nothing that you couldnt come to realize browsing these forums.

Hope this was helpful!

UWStudent, Jan 11, 2006 IP
  3. joch21

joch21 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    its loaded with affilaite links too

joch21, Jan 11, 2006 IP
  4. letsmakeamillion

letsmakeamillion Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the thing that is really absurd about this book is that supposedly this guy is making 50,000 dollars a day.. and yet he lowballs himself and sells his ebook for $50 with general content?

if you were making 50 thou a day, would you bother selling an ebook for 50 dollars?

what a complete joke!

letsmakeamillion, Jan 11, 2006 IP
  5. mark1_01

mark1_01 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, we don't know if this guy 's been making 50 grands a day, but it's quite obvious this book is a best seller.
    And people tend to forget that 100 little streams of income can make an obscene amount of money.
    What's really interesting from my point of view, is the marketing campain behind it.
    These people know what they are doing.
    Let me add that the book is nothing special, but it summarizes what an ordinary guy can do to make money on line.
    When you finish the book you might think to yourself" what the heck is that all?"
    Yup that's all, if you are able to skim all the "BS marketing language" they spread through the book, you have a nice map to begin your journey.
    Erase from your mind all the hype telling you it' s easy and a lazy bum can do it in a month.
    Work hard on the base the book gives you, and you can achieve interesting results.
    IMHO what leads people to think this is a scam book is the unconventional "style" they chosed to advertise the book,but on the other hand it's the very same style that made this book a success.
    Nontheless an interesting case study.

mark1_01, Jan 11, 2006 IP
  6. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    I hate ebooks full of affilaitel inks

they give you one paragraph of vague content and then hit you with an affiliate link and this goes on for dozens of pages.

Im not big fan of rich jerk ebook. It seems te best way to make money is by selling an ebook on how to be rich doing XYZ

IamNed, Jan 11, 2006 IP
  7. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    and putting all your affiliate links there so you get comissions for all those people on top of the $50 :p

Seiya, Jan 11, 2006 IP
  8. Hon Daddy Dad

Hon Daddy Dad Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at the amount of money he's making out of this ebook - even if I was making $50,000 a day (I'd always be up for an extra million which is what I reckon this guy has or will make with this ebook)

What I find funny is the amount of people who say "I already know all this".

If you know it all why arn't you making as much money as he is?

Just because you read five books or go to a free forum on how to become a black belt - doesn't make you a black belt.

You can know how to do something in theory but that doesn't mean you actually have genuine skills that bring home the bacon effortlessly. That's what real mastery is in any field. You're so skillful it all most seems effortless.

Hon Daddy Dad, Jan 11, 2006 IP
  9. marcel

marcel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well said...

marcel, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  10. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    This book is nowhere near half as good as Joel Comm's.

Will.Spencer, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  11. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    Joel's book is definitely more focused, and that probably has a lot to do with it. But it also targets a smaller audience, so its potential market is not as large. But selling something to a niche is a great way to make money.

The Rich Jerk has certainly done a masterful job of marketing. That's the real lesson it teaches us. The words in the book are almost irrelevant compared to that!

Eric Giguere, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  12. shadow20002

shadow20002 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    too good to be true.

shadow20002, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  13. bzzubzzu

bzzubzzu Peon

Best Answers:
    My brother bought it and left the pdf on my laptop, so I read it, and /i have to admit the ebook makes some valid points I'd missed spending sleepless nights in the forums.

bzzubzzu, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  14. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    OMG a DP first! Eric made a post without plugging his adsense blog!

Lets give him a hand!

On another note, I dont think there was anyting uniquely special about rich jerk.

See, the rich jerk guy who ever he is had a HUUUUUUUUUGE mailing list so all he had to do was send out a couple emails to his followers saying 'hey check out my new rich jerk ebook'. He gets a flood of oders and is put on the top of the clickbank marketplace as a result. Since the ebook is on top of the marketplace it creates a chain reaction of more affiliates and hype.

If some ordinary shmuck created 'the rick jerk' it would go nowhere. The copywriting is poor as is the ebook its self.

IamNed, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  15. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    Ooops, my mistake. Here you go. I'll do better next time. Promise! I'm still new to this forum stuff, I've only been doing it since the early 80's, still have lots to learn.

Eric Giguere, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  16. BuildHome

BuildHome Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't believe anything from a "Rich Jerk"...
    Like shadow20002 said, too good to be true.

BuildHome, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  17. Zadah

Zadah Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't buy it, but I did read it. :p I can tell you that I didn't learn much from it.

Zadah, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  18. Chopster

Chopster Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO, the minute he added his affiliate links to that review, he eliminated all credibility.

Chopster, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  19. frankybme

frankybme Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought it was a good read. It had some good points. BUt if you have been into IM for a while, then most of it you should know allready.

frankybme, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  20. Eric Giguere

Eric Giguere Peon

Best Answers:
    I, too, was disappointed, and I'm glad he recanted. His reviews no longer include affiliate links, though I don't think he removed them from the reviews that had them.

Whether or not to use affiliate links always seems like a tough call to me. It definitely removes the appearance of objectivity. That's part of the appeal of the AdSense ads to me, there's a clear separation between the editorial and the non-editorial content. That's why I chose to keep an AdSense-like format in my "cheeky" 'Ads by Eric' up on memwg.com -- even though they're affiliate links, they look and behave like ads.

Maybe it's better not to label things as "reviews" but just "descriptions"? Or to put in a disclaimer about the use of affiliate links? Darren Rowse usually labels his affiliate links explicitly, which is another approach.

Eric Giguere, Jan 13, 2006 IP