1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Reason Why Atheists Try So Hard To Convince Others That God Doesn't Exist

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Angelic, Dec 15, 2011.

If God doesn't exist, why do atheists care so passionately that some people believe He does? Why do they bother writing books against the existence of God? Or fund ads on the side of London buses to deny something that supposedly doesn't exist? They don't go out of their way to deny leprechauns or fairies or werewolves, so why God? The reason seems to be that atheists do know that God exists. Continue Reading

Angelic, Dec 15, 2011 IP
  2. sunfyre7896

sunfyre7896 Peon

Best Answers:
    So basically he's saying they don't want to be accountable for their actions to God, so they choose not to believe. Interesting, but I'm not sure this is necessarily a truth. I'm not an atheist, but I do know some and I can guarantee they're not trying to justify anything to anybody.

sunfyre7896, Dec 15, 2011 IP
  3. c-lo

c-lo Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, people don't murder in the name of leprechauns, fairies, and werewolves, for one. I would think there are more nonbelievers that see the many logical fallacies and atrocities caused by organized religion and object for those reasons rather than whatever ridiculousness that propaganda suggests. Or maybe that's just me.

c-lo, Dec 15, 2011 IP
  4. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually people murder in the name of Allah this days , not the in the name of God , of Jesus , of Buddha , of Vishnu etc. but why not toss all religious guys in the same pot . Also don't forget to ignore anything good that religious people do .

ApocalypseXL, Dec 16, 2011 IP
  5. atvking

atvking Active Member

Best Answers:
    same could be said for believers...when they are SO sure that god exists why do they bother proving that he does? its because they KNOW he does not exist...

see the fault in your logic?

atvking, Dec 16, 2011 IP
  6. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Not all atheists try to convince believers..
    Those who do are acting out of pity, or empathy however you want to put it.. Those are good people, but they don't get any credit.. :)

JamesColin, Dec 16, 2011 IP
  7. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Because their beliefs cause them to torture and kill. Because they try to impose their beliefs on those who don't believe. Because your belief can impose on my lack of belief, that's why.

We don't care that you believe, we care what that belief causes you (the collective "you" - those who believe - in any supreme being) to do, many times directly to us. (And if you don't believe that people who believe in your god torture and kill others, look to Northern Ireland for recent examples.)

Rukbat, Dec 16, 2011 IP
  8. sunfyre7896

sunfyre7896 Peon

Best Answers:
    I really don't understand why any atheists would care enough to try to convince any believers in God that God doesn't exist. If they truly believe that God doesn't exist and that others do, it seems the only point to trying to convince others of that fact would be for some sort of moral superiority complex.

Christians try to convince because it's in their doctrines that they have to "spread the word" (to me this is ridiculous and bordering on cult-like, but not for all Christians, just the ones that go out of their way), but atheists have no benefit to convincing others in the existence of no God other than winning an argument. So whenever I hear atheists trying to pound that fact in someone's head, I always just assume they're either trolling or just trying to prove themselves more superior than the other person/s. Again this is based on my assumption that there is nothing tangible to be gained by convincing people there is no God. There's no soul to be 'saved' or monetary gain, etc. So I've always just wondered why some try so hard.

sunfyre7896, Dec 16, 2011 IP
  9. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    sunfyre, for the same reason parents "try to convince" children that fairy tales aren't reality - so you don't waste your life on nonsense.

Rukbat, Dec 16, 2011 IP
  10. sunfyre7896

sunfyre7896 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's only nonsense to the person that doesn't believe. And also, you're only stating a reason when it comes to people that you actually know and care about. What about all of the people, not just on this forum, but out in the real world that do this all of the time without knowing or caring about the other person? They're just trying to win or prove something. People are more selfish than that by nature.

You can't tell me that all atheists that try to convince others are that caring that they care about all of those other people and their lives. There's too much narcissism out there for that. I don't believe they're trying to convince all of these strangers for the other person's benefit. And the fact that you call God some sort of fairy tale and a waste of someone's life means you have no idea what faith means to people and that your hardcore atheist colors are showing.

sunfyre7896, Dec 16, 2011 IP
  11. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @Angelic "Blessed are those who are persequted for my names sake for theirs is the kingdom of heaven".You sometimes get beaten up here but still you come on to celebrate your faith.For this I do respect you.
    But to the topic at hand:I believe atheists are motivated by fear.Imagine if their denial of a creator(God)is wrong? What will happen when they die? Can you imagine going to the light and hearing "I know ye not"? That prospect is truly frightening.So they laugh and mock at their own peril.
    "Pie Jesu,Qui tollis peccata mundi dona eis requiem".

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
    Spoiltdiva, Dec 16, 2011 IP
  12. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just like fairy tales aren't reality only to parents, not to children.
    Is that what the world looks like to a theist? "If I don't know you and care about you, the hell with you"? That's sad. Most atheists I know care about everyone, even those we've never heard of.

Oh, I know what it means to you. Just like I know what Spidey means to a 6 year old. That doesn't make Spidey real.

Rukbat, Dec 16, 2011 IP
  13. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You have a hard time putting yourself in an atheist shoes..
    This joke is only frightening for someone who believe in the fairy tales..
    For an atheist, we know all your beliefs and other invented by man are pure mental masturbation and power control by organized religions.. No big deal..
    As for our own life, we understand it as you understand the life of a bear, as far as I know in your belief bears have nothing to do with heaven or hell, right? Well now you can understand a little more.

JamesColin, Dec 17, 2011 IP
  14. thesickearth

thesickearth Active Member

Best Answers:

thesickearth, Dec 17, 2011 IP
  15. Angelic

Angelic Active Member

Best Answers:
    true..........

Angelic, Dec 17, 2011 IP
  16. c-lo

c-lo Peon

Best Answers:
    I threw everyone into the same pot because I didn't want to alienate anyone's specific religion. While I'm not too familiar with actions of the followers of Buddha and Vishnu, plenty of people have been murdered in ways directly related to a belief in God. Tens of thousands of witches burned at the stake, the Crusades, Inquisition, modern-day murders of abortion doctors, etc. To say that people murder only in the name of Allah simply isn't true.

And there are plenty of good things that religious people do. Not saying there's not. There's also plenty of good deeds committed by nonbelievers.

c-lo, Dec 17, 2011 IP
  17. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    Yet the atheist hold the grimmest record in the history of man kind with @100.000.000 slaughter . Also i would take the Crusades out of the equation , the Crusades wouldn't have existed if not for the continuous Jihads fought by the Caliphates , if not for the Crusades we might all be under Sharia .

ApocalypseXL, Dec 17, 2011 IP
  18. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Since Allah is the Arabic word for God, if you say it in English, it's "murdering in the name of God". If you say it in Arabic it's different, and the name of the being you're murdering in the name of, when spoken aloud, can be spelled Allah. "Hitler didn't kill in the name of God, he killed in the name of Godt." That's your argument. And it's bankrupt. (And no, that's not a Godwin.) The fact that you can see how "Godt" is the same as "God" and you can't see how "Allah" is the same as "God" is irrelevant.

Assuming that you're correct, just for the sake of discussion, any god that creates me unable to believe without objective evidence, makes sure that there is no objective evidence (there is none, so don't waste time posting anecdotes), then punishes me for not believing is a workman who blames his own creations for being what he created. Since a perfect god can't make a mistake, if he creates me unable to believe without objective evidence, I can't. If I could he'd be imperfect.

To a theist. To an atheist, that prospect is less frightening than the prospect of you dying without ever having kissed the Green Hornet's ring. About the only time an atheist thinks of any god is when a theist raises the subject. "Godism" isn't a part of our lives. We don't think of gods any more than worms think of Do loops.

You can't tell a person what he thinks, or what he's afraid of, when you don't have the faintest clue about how he thinks and what he thinks of. We know that you fear hell. We don't. I fear bad traffic Monday morning on the way to work a lot more than I fear hell. It ruins my gas mileage. Hell is just something some sociopaths made up to control foolish people, it's not something to fear. If you understand the basis of a myth, you understand why it says what it says, and you realize that only a very primitive mind can accept it as anything but a myth. Read about Gehinnom and you'll understand how the myth of hell originated.

Rukbat, Dec 17, 2011 IP
  19. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    No you special person you i'm saying it's a different religion but of course you're ignoring that for the sake of being an ignoramus . I like how you're complaining that God gave you free will and a brain and He'll punish you if you don't use them .

ApocalypseXL, Dec 17, 2011 IP
  20. Wulkanen

Wulkanen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Where exactly do you pull your "facts" from?

Wulkanen, Dec 17, 2011 IP