1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Pagerank (PR) Thread

Discussion in 'Google' started by dvduval, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaediem

Kaediem Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm calling it the backend update - I have a small directory attached to one of my pr5 (before the update) sites - the directory has 0 pr, the categories have 0 pr but some of the inner pages are pr3!

Kaediem, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  2. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Martin Luther King - Civil rights activist 1960s

The 15th of January is a federal holiday here in his remembrance.

Sem-Advance, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  3. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, bro, stop, breathe, gather your thoughts, and just look at this all at once please. This is what I said:
    And this is your response:

Along with some serious misplaced insinuations about how much more that you knew about this stuff than me. And yet, just a couple posts earlier, you admitted:

Personally it just sounds like you're confused and have no clue as to what I and others were saying. Based on the earlier posts, if you meant them then I don't think you were disagreeing with what we were saying in concept, just in wording. I could be wrong on that though.

Also, total side note... This isn't to start a fight, I just think that sometimes we don't realize how we sound. Two quick points here:
    That sounds remarkably similar to Brian Ralph Johnson's many girlfriends in the Niagara Falls area, and

kind of makes you sound a teensy bit like a loon with nothing better to do. Just so you know.

-Michael

mvandemar, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  4. t2000q

t2000q Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    this pr update seems to be different then the last, for my sites anyway, I have sites that had good PR and now have none, some that gained but I was not expecting them too and some that inner pages jumped higher then main pages. always a mystery...

t2000q, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  5. VincentChow

VincentChow Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a few pages on my blog that have PR4, in which I didn't promote and no one actually link them at all. Even my blog's archives page for December have PR4, but my main page is only PR3. Not sure why, but I have a strong feeling that my main page will remain PR3 for this round. :(

VincentChow, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  6. saadahmed007

saadahmed007 Admínistratör

Best Answers:
    Yeah, i am in the same boat VincentChow..I think we will have to wait another 3 months..:eek:
    Saad

saadahmed007, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  7. Dave E

Dave E Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think it is over one of my pages that has been showing 0PR has just flashed up with a 5!

Dave E, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  8. maiahost

maiahost Guest

Best Answers:
    Same here, some pages that had PR the last days went to 0 and one changed from 0 to 5 so it's still on I guess.

maiahost, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  9. CrankyDave

CrankyDave Peon

Best Answers:
    Let me take these one at a time Michael.

I can't make it any clearer... Internal PR is nothing at all like TBPR. Nothing. Why the concept is so difficult for you to understand is certainly beyond me. TBPR is used for nothing, except to buy and sell for those intent on doing so.

It affects nothing other than that. Rather simple concept. The fact that TBPR is an export of internal PR tells you nothing because you...

1. Have no idea what the internal PR value actually is.
    2. Have no idea of precisely what it affects, how, and to what degree.

An unknown value whose affects are unknown to an unknown degree make the visual representation worthless. It tells you nothing of value.

As far as your side notes about not wanting to start a fight or how I sound are concerned...

Just so you know...

You want to bring any of my sites blindly into a discussion you had better know what you are talking about because I assure you I will not take kindly to it and will most certainly respond in kind. Don't mess with my business.

If you feel the need to mess with my business, I assure you that I have plenty of time and resources at my disposal to respond in kind and you can count on the fact that I will.

I hope I've made this perfectly clear Michael.

When you're able demonstrate that you have grasped the basic concepts I've already pointed out, we can continue.

Dave

CrankyDave, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  10. monosodium

monosodium Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    my guess is that the PR0 and lack of updates where expected are due to a BUG i.e. a software glitch.

bugs occur when you change something and try to develop something new - in the process, things that were OK before get screwed up. i'd guess that the bug will have to be debugged, the data that got messed up will have to be overwritten in all databases, requiring, perhaps, the development of a few new tools, and on top of all that the export will have to be carried out all over again. this will take time, a lot of time. so: expect a rollback, and a fresh export, after about two weeks, with things settling down in 10 days then on - unless there are any fresh bugs.

february 10, 2007 is when everything will be normal again, with correct PR values. :cool:

monosodium, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  11. monosodium

monosodium Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    congrats, was it brand new or an old site which had PR but then dipped to zero?

monosodium, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  12. Dave E

Dave E Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is my own website launched in August, at the october update I got a PR2 on my home page and that was it, on this update it has stayed the same but 3 of my subpages got PR6 now I have just noticed another page has gone to 5 that has been showing 0 since the changes, I hope you are right about the update not being finished.

Dave E, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  13. kojakfilth

kojakfilth Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think PR Update is Done. And google made errors on their Update???

kojakfilth, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  14. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I agree, this one is very buggy. Matt Cutts blogged about infrastructure changes that preceeded the update, and then added an update on a second push that took many PR 0'd big sites back to the PR they expected - I watched as Amazon.com went from 0 to 9 across most d/c's. But the last update was buggy, and it used the same snapshot as the strange, buggy mini-update on August 24. One of my sites got PR in the September 28th update, but that update was odd in that the backlinks and snapshot came from two different times - see http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=129939

I believe that update rolled back, the site lost PR in this update on every page not linked to the homepage. They did not get 0'd, banned, etc., they simply got rolled back to the 0 they had pre-Sept. 28.

Seems those pages are all supplemental, and did not get updated this time around. Which leads me to think that there will be a second update soon to fix the problems I have, the sites that are still 0'd on the homepage, and the higher inner PR (though that simply seems to be a glitch, and does not seem to affect the serps, crawls, etc. you would expect from the highest PR on your homepage) people are posting about.

Funny you should pick Feb 10th, I figured that Feb 5th would probably be the date. The 10th would be a Friday, and the same week.

Now, what were those infrastructure updates? I don't know, but something changed between here and here (see this also), which might explain the bugginess of this PR update, or could even point to data loss or patches being removed.

Another oddity I saw was the related: search for netmidwest.com.
    It was really spot on for some time, but this update it has gone screwy - seems that the listing is for sites mentioned in threads I have participated in here at DP... rather than sites linked, others in a similar biz, in the same DMOZ category, etc.

Has anyone else seen a radical change in the related: search for their domain?

NetMidWest, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  15. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Instead of teaming up with mikey vandermar to track my post why don't you go fix the canonical URL issue effecting your PR by diluting its total strength across 3 domains.

Ohh and dont forget I'm stupid according to your friend..

However the two of you together cannot solve webmaster 101 :rolleyes:

Results 1 - 2 of about 3 for http://www.netmidwest.com

Results 1 - 10 of about 127 for www.netmidwest.com.

Results 1 - 10 of about 824 for netmidwest.com.

If you don't know how to fix it try using the Preferred Domain Tool from Google

http://www.google.com/webmasters/

Peace

Sem-Advance, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  16. decodethis

decodethis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PLEASE let's not pollute this thread with a lame flamewar? 80-some-odd pages is already enough. :p

decodethis, Jan 14, 2007 IP
    NetMidWest likes this.
  17. nikolaalx

nikolaalx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    wohooo...I wonder how much would it take someone to read the whole thread?

nikolaalx, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  18. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Phynder, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  19. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    First, I was trying to inject a bit of humor... anyone can see all your posts. Shawn is the one collecting them... :D
    And I don't remember mvandemar calling you stupid. I certainly don't think you are, however it is clear that you are in need of some education. See below.

Second, none of those searches have anything to do with canonical issues.
    In fact, 2 show mentions of my domain, my sig, pages from my site, etc.

A site: domain search with and without www, and a check of PR for both as well will show canonical issues, however. If a site shows both non-www and www, and PR is spread between them, you have canonical issues.

As far as the 'third' goes, it is perfectly okay to have / and index.html, Google understands basic site structure.

I know my sites have no canonical issues. The Preferred Domain Tool is only for those who cannot or do not know how to solve them.
    Knowing how buggy Google can be, I would not trust such an important function to them.

NetMidWest, Jan 14, 2007 IP
  20. MrMOJO

MrMOJO Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    1) And I truly do not give a turd.

2) They are in your sig. Don't like them being mentioned, remove them from your sig. And no, they don't show on page one.

3) It would be in your best interests not to threaten a police officer. Believe me.

MrMOJO, Jan 14, 2007 IP
    CrankyDave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.