1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The new SMF SEO Beta Version. Do Not Try It

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by iPod, Jun 3, 2006.

I Just installed the new SMF Seo package.
    No Doubt the package is great. Beta version.
    But You Wud Like To Know What It Did to ma site.

Here Have a look :D
    [​IMG]

This is what i see at the bottom of every page.
    and even after removal of all packages, this message still shows up.
    Moreover no member can make a single post.
    It gives an error message that u r using smf 1.02 whereas i have the latest version smf 1.07

Anyway, just be careful with the beta version.
    Have a good day!!!!! coz i didn't. As usual! ;)

iPod, Jun 3, 2006 IP
  2. websys

websys Active Member

Best Answers:
    pardon my ignorance but r u bitching about because you could not properly run a illegally aquired script ? :rolleyes:

websys, Jun 3, 2006 IP
  3. iPod

iPod Notable Member

Best Answers:
    lolz
    well if u have smf installed on any of ur forums, when u checkout the package manager, it gives u the latest updates n mods available. In featured, it shows the smf seo, which by the name and description look to be a great stuff. So i installed it.
    But, alas. Anyway, it was a new forum, so i cud take the risk. Everything has been reset. Deleted everything including smf from ma site :D

iPod, Jun 3, 2006 IP
  4. chachacallis

chachacallis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i hate using smf anf frankly i really dont thin you need a seo mod for it as all the threads are index in the search engine easily

chachacallis, Jun 3, 2006 IP
  5. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Some of you mofos need to learn how to talk properly.. :rolleyes:

EGS, Jun 3, 2006 IP
  6. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This from a guy from Jersey!

:)

RectangleMan, Jun 4, 2006 IP
  7. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Jersey or not, he's right. I hate this text messaging crap English almost as much as I hated Nintendo's wacko crap.

Case in point:

1. stop posting from your damn cell phone and learn to spell

2. stop posting about stuff you obviously know nothing about. It's not an illegally acquired script - it's an open source MOD for SMF forums. Others have also reported problems with it, although the creator clearly describes it as in Beta and not recommended yet for a live forum. That "illegal" message shows up with an incorrect SMF installation: e.g., failure to run the update script to update the database which may be the case here. If not, my guess is the MOD creator has messed up the instgructions to the package manager.

minstrel, Jun 6, 2006 IP
  8. BFTUK

BFTUK Banned

Best Answers:
    I've got the SMFSEO mod running fine on two of my forums.

Firstly if you go to their forum there is a fix for the illegal copy text, secondly it is BETA software you've got to expect some bugs, they do recommend that you don't install it on a live forum!

BFTUK, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  9. brandondrury

brandondrury Peon

Best Answers:
    This is digusting! Do you have any idea what Beta means??? It was clearly mentioned about 20 times on their site that THIS IS NOT FOR A LIVE SITE! When you say "Do Not Try It" you are saying that no one should help these people find the bugs in their SEO mod.

In other words, they are suggesting that if you EVER want SMF to actually be even close to optimized for SE ranking, they ask that you install it on a forum that means nothing to you and see what happens. I installed it. It had problems. I told them about it. They said thanks.

SMF has a system that you have to learn. Setting up a custom template was very difficult, but I figured it out eventually.

However, SMF does not rank or even spider as well as Articlelive or Wordpress on my site. My site is only PR4 at the moment, but every article I write and blog I post is in Google within days. Generally, my SMF topics never get spidered at all.

Brandon

brandondrury, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  10. minstrel

Best Answers:
    That may not be SMF. That may be Googlebot.

1. what version of SMF are you using? 1.0x has a problem with session IDs. This seems to be resolved in 1.1 RC2.

2. on my SMF forum, I have Yahoo!Slurp in there all the time, as many as 30 bots at a time. I also see multiple instances of MSNbot frequently. Not surprisingly, there are numerous pages indexed in Yahoo and MSN. Googlebot can't figure out what the hell it's doing at all in there.

minstrel, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  11. brandondrury

brandondrury Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm still using 1.0.7. It took me about 10 hours to build the template about 2 weeks ago, but now I've got a decent handle on the echo statements and could probably upgrade to RC 2 in a couple of hours. If this will fix the problem, I'd hop on it in a second.

You seam to have good luck with the bots. Are you ranking for these threads? (I have to ask. I deal with so many tech guys that aren't interested in the difference between being spiderable and actually ranking).

Brandon

brandondrury, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  12. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I am getting pages indexed in Yahoo and MSN, not in Google. Pre-Big Daddy, Google was indexing them. Now they've disappeared.

minstrel, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  13. SumitBahl

SumitBahl Reign of Chaos

Best Answers:
    Sam, Maybe you can try this for the moment, untill that SEO mod comes out of beta:

Email to np at humanworks dot gr to get the copy.

This guy is giving it for free, bu what he is asking in return is pretty legit. :)

SumitBahl, Jun 15, 2006 IP