1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The new MSN Search

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by apondonet, Nov 20, 2004.

Does anyone have any special info on how to optimize for the new MSN search which I believe is in beta testing, if any .....

I tested my keywords in Google, Yahoo and MSN ...and the Google/Yahoo results were pretty consistent. MSN was way off !!

Any tips or pointers to resources on the web will be highly appreciated.

apondonet, Nov 20, 2004 IP
  2. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    just a post to find this topic back easily, im very interested in msn search too :p I do good at google, yahoo, local engines, but MSN I have zero visitors from in the last engine, and in the beta it doesnt looks much better :p

Dirkjan, Nov 20, 2004 IP
  3. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    you could check http://beta.search.msn.com/docs/siteowner.aspx?t=SEARCH_WEBMASTER_REF_GuidelinesforOptimizingSite.htm

WhatiFind, Nov 20, 2004 IP
  4. Spyware Remover

Spyware Remover Peon

Best Answers:
    They (MSN) seem to be emphasizing incoming quality links like Google does.

AJ

Spyware Remover, Nov 20, 2004 IP
  5. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    For my most important keyphrase (page pool of 1.5 million average) I’m #47 on Yahoo, #51 on Google, and #1 on MSN beta. I think links and anchor text are important. But, I think old fashion keyword density and prominence are also very important.

I suspect that overuse of keywords will get you penalized on Google, and Yahoo. I don’t think MSN has decided yet what ‘overuse’ is.

Also, when checking links on MSN, I suggest paging through to see how many are actually viewable, versus your competition. MSN reports that it finds 1180 links to my site. But, the most it will display is about 250. For a competing site, MSN reports about 690 links. But, it will display no more than 89. So, I tend to measure my 250 against their 89.

longcall911, Nov 20, 2004 IP
  6. apondonet

apondonet Peon

Best Answers:
    A war bigger than the "Detroit Brawl" is brewing up between the big three: MSN, YAHOO & GOOGLE. Hopefully we will all benefit.

Microsoft has proved time and again to be a Giant Killer ....will they kill Google's current importance?

apondonet, Nov 20, 2004 IP
  7. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Not on the merits of the beta they wont..

The first thing they'll (MS) will do (as always) is jump the gun.

Of course G isn't about to be outdone - so, with the competition about to heat up, my question is: once G's R&D dollars emerge as 'cutting edge (?) technology' is everyone ready for the inevitable ?

G is now accountable for every spend - they've a strong brand, but it can turn bad - all they need is to fall behind the gun and they're no longer quite so 'relevant'.

They're either going to start losing ground in no short form, or their WM's guidelines page is about to become the most popular page on the planet.

Of course, that's just my opinion - I'm in no way associated with the big three, but I can see it coming a mile off.

Banter or no, what do you think ?

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Nov 20, 2004 IP
  8. cgo85

cgo85 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that MSN beta is only showing a couple of links from each website. So if you have sitewides or more than a couple of links coming from a certain site it reads it and shows that you may have 1000 IBL's, but may only allow you view two from each site in the SERPS. Also, I'm hoping that the these results don't to much shifting (probably will) because I'm ranking incredibley good for big time keywords.

cgo85, Nov 22, 2004 IP
  9. Spyware Remover

Spyware Remover Peon

Best Answers:
    When is this coming OUT of beta? Any release date set????

AJ

Spyware Remover, Nov 22, 2004 IP
  10. vauge

vauge Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wonder if the age of the backlink is relivant as well?

Currently #1 and #3 for beta, but google and yahoo are pages 10 & 13.

New site, less 3 months.

vauge, Nov 22, 2004 IP