1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The MYSPACE Experiment

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by routed11, Jun 14, 2006.

With all the discussion around marketing with Myspace lately I would like to test the theory.

Here is what I am looking to do:
    1) Select a few individuals that would be interested in tracking hits from a bulletin.
    2) Compile those statistics and present them to the forum members here.

Here is what I need:
    1) A couple members that would be willing to create an effective bulletin about their site for me to post.
    2) The members involved need to track those statistics as throughly as possible.
    3) Send me the results, ie # hits, possibly pages per view etc. obtained from the bulletin so I can prepare and report the information here.

I would like to try and make this as "scientific and accurate" as possible, so the more information you can provide the better. Hopefully this will allow the forum members here to decide if marketing via myspace can be effective for themself.

About the Myspace account I have access to:
    1) Slightly over 3000 friends.
    2) Female profile
    3) Non trained - friends obtained via request's.
    4) Targeted - mostly male 18-35 US

Just using general bulletin's for casual conversation the response is very high, in my opinion this account would be ideal for this sort of test.

The type of site/user I am looking for:
    1) Established forum member here - no just registered last week stuff.
    2) No junk MFA sites, adult etc.

This is at no cost whatsover, however if you like the idea feel free to give the green rep :)

Post here if you are interested with a little bit about the type of site you have in mind.

routed11, Jun 14, 2006 IP
    Mark Wegener likes this.
  2. samm27

samm27 Peon

Best Answers:
    What are you actually trying to do?
    What results are you looking for?

I think not everyone understands what you mean.

samm27, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  3. routed11

routed11 Peon

Best Answers:
    The goal is to find how successful posting bulletins/marketing via myspace can be.

Results: How many hits etc you can get and how that translate's into revenue for the site owner. With those numbers we may be able to come up with a general idea of how successful it is using myspace, is it hype or not.

4. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sem-Advance, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  5. xboxundone

xboxundone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i am interested and have a site or to that would appeal and can provide feedback...

xboxundone, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  6. d0minic

d0minic Peon

Best Answers:
    "Here is what I need:
    1) A couple members that would be willing to create an effective bulletin about their site for me to post.
    2) The members involved need to track those statistics as throughly as possible.
    3) Send me the results, ie # hits, possibly pages per view etc. obtained from the bulletin so I can prepare and report the information here.

The type of site/user I am looking for:
    1) Established forum member here - no just registered last week stuff.
    2) No junk MFA sites, adult etc. "

Hi, i think i match that description.

I run CGFreelance (google cgfreelance, i think it should be the first on the list. its the .net not .com one.) it was launched just under 2 weeks ago. Its just touched 1000 unique hits, its got about 40 signups, a few jobs posting. A new forum (which needs sorting, i can do that tomorow though) The site is basically a community site that is intended to make it easier for freelance artist and employer to find eachother. It includes job listings, artist profiles, industry news and other little tid-bits.

My server has awstats (very very intricate tracking google awstats and see) also, my server has webalizer.

AND i also have google analytics setup on my site. just in case you're unaware, google analytics is the new analysis tool in beta from google (search for google analytics.) very very VERY advanced logging. it allows you to define "goals" and then tell soyu if you've met them. Example, one of my goals is a signup, you set the stages of the goal (4 stage in mine, homepage, register part one, register part 2 and confirmation) and google tells u how many people completed the goal and where most people left etc. It tell you where the top referrers are from in countries, tells u everything and anything.

I think i'm a worthy candidate:) I would be willing to help, ive put a a few months of effort into this site and i'd love to see it take off.

PM me if you're interested or email me at contact<at>cgfreelance<dot>net

Thanks

d0minic, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  7. phree_radical

phree_radical Peon

Best Answers:
    I endorse this experiment! The account looks up to the test.

phree_radical, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  8. bling

bling Peon

Best Answers:
    well i have over 1000 myspace accounts, i would like to help in this to...?

bling, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  9. routed11

routed11 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sem-Advance I would like to use your addbar site, I think the appeal would be ideal.

Can you PM me a bulletin you feel would be successful? Also keep in mind this is from a "female" user.

*No offense dominic but you have a new account from today, one of my criteria was that I wanted established forum members.

Bling what are the details of your accounts? Ideally we wouldnt want "trained" accounts for this. A larger scale test could be nice as well. Let me know the details and we can get started.

10. d0minic

d0minic Peon

Best Answers:
    Non taken....

but im going to bomb your house and rape your dog.

Love dom

lol just kidding, any other way i can help?

d0minic, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  11. routed11

routed11 Peon

Best Answers:
    dominic I appreciated the understanding, :) Your freelance site would be hard for me to promote with this account in anycase you might be interested in trying to build a targeted account on myspace specially for this. There is a ton of groups to target on myspace that might find it useful.

12. Zenerd

Zenerd Peon

Best Answers:
    routed, are you going to make the results public?

Zenerd, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  13. routed11

routed11 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, all the results will be public. I think it is good information to share.

routed11, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  14. ImageHookup

ImageHookup Peon

Best Answers:
    I can tell you already, that posting bulletins and messages doesnt do that much...

SO many people post bullets of every chain thing they get your stuff is quickly off the list, and even if it isnt people wont read it or bother going.

There is, however, a decent way that ive used to get traffic, but it would only work for sites like mine i think.

ImageHookup, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  15. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well actually since you have not experimented with every industry & category within Myspace you really cannot say one way or the other what anyone else will find.

As for your site free image hosting....nothing special there that would make it any better or worse as a test... besides if I am not mistaken myspace allows image uploads for free...

Maybe a test of something like free drink recipes, which Myspace doed not offer.... is a better idea..

Who knows???

Stay tuned!!!

No negativity needed!!!

Sem-Advance, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  16. EasyMarketer

EasyMarketer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hurry up and do the test already! shouldnt take more then a couple of hours! lets get down to this im curious lol

EasyMarketer, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  17. aboyd

aboyd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a site I could stand to have promoted, and pretty much 99% of any traffic on the site would be from your bulletin. The site is www.wii-underdogs.com (for the Wii gaming console -- right in that 18-35 male demographic). It doesn't launch until July 7th, but it's open right now. I'm just working on it, modding it, running a theme contest to get the design, etc.

I don't know how to do MySpace bulletins, but here's a first attempt:

I think AWStats would show some good, clean spikes from your bulletin, as there is no other traffic to compete with your bulletin (well, a little bit from my sig in forum posts, but that's maybe 10 people a day).

-Tony

aboyd, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  18. 3dPrinting

3dPrinting Peon

Best Answers:
    :confused: 1000? ... what the heck you need 100 accounts for and where do you find the time to complete that much. Do you have an automater?:rolleyes:

Now I'm wondering if Myspace actually do have 70million people or 70million accounts. :eek:

3dPrinting, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  19. JessNJ

JessNJ Peon

Best Answers:
    Routed11,

I think that's a really interesting experiment, and I am definitely interested in seeing the results...

I do have a site that I think might fit your profile though. It's http://www.dreamlinesavings.com and is a site that promotes a free newsletter that sends out deals and money saving tips twice a week. On the site you can take a look at the archives of previous newsletters if you want to see if it would be a good fit for your target audience.

I think it would be great for your experiment since:

1. It could definitely be believable coming from a girl
    2. Many of the deals are for electronics, travel, restaurants, free stuff etc. that men in that age range would be interested in (and in the note "she" could comment how it would also help them find gifts for the women in their lives).
    3. I use google analytics as well, so will be able to tell you exactly how many people come directly from the myspace bulletin, and
    4. Since it's free, you would think more people would be likely to click on it, since I'm not trying to sell anything at all.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll write up a short bulletin.

Thanks, and either way, I can't wait to see the results!

Jessica

JessNJ, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  20. routed11

routed11 Peon

Best Answers:
    I sent out one for Sem-Advance earlier today, we will see how it goes. I will prob send out another tonite or tommorow.

routed11, Jun 15, 2006 IP