1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Most Powerful Word In Copywriting

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by ideamarketing, Jan 23, 2013.

ideamarketing, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  2. Auxi

Auxi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Word "free" is so tricky at so many services :) But I agree - it is powerful tool to get attention.

Auxi, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  3. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. The word free can be very powerful. One just has to be careful not to misuse it or overuse it or it quickly loses its effectiveness.

TextServices, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  4. cjp214

cjp214 Member

Best Answers:
    That's right. "Free" is great because everyone knows exactly what it means. It's overblown and undoubtedly a cliche, but it really is the best word to use when describing something you get for nothing in return.

I like to keep it close to my chest, though. Only once or twice in an ad is all you need, and preferably after you've laid the groundwork and have the prospect's mind already buzzing. Then you swoop in there with "free" and seal the deal.

Corey

cjp214, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  5. geegel

geegel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Short version: I disagree.

Long version: Cliches have a place in copywriting. They convey ideas that can be instantly absorbed. What doesn't have a place in copywriting is the indiscriminate use of cliches. Each piece of copy should reflect the worries, the desires and the potential solutions of its prospective audience. This is why the use of recipes can have disastrous effects and why there are some many sales letters on the web that make you cringe.

Do use cliches (the FREE one included), but only if they connect with your target audience.

geegel, Jan 28, 2013 IP
  6. coreygeer

coreygeer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:

There's a lot of truth to the word "FREE" and just how persuasive it can be to cheap people. It really depends on the target audience you're pursuing, the niche, what you're selling, the price, the pre-sales hype you've built before you've launched the sales page and a lot of other various factors.

I will agree that 'free' is definitely up there but in some cases, discount, quickest and instant can play a role as well. Some people aren't necessarily cheap and want free things but they want an INSTANT solution to their problem. They don't want to wait weeks to see results, they want their results right now.

For me, the most persuasive word for me is results. True and proven results on a product are far more influencing on me than the word free or any other basic sales tactic that works on the majority of people. I've always been that way though, even before I got into the IM scene.

coreygeer, Jan 30, 2013 IP
    geegel likes this.
  7. ArchAxis

ArchAxis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

The most powerful word in copywriting is YOU not FREE because everyone cares about what's in it for them and if Free were the most powerful word then the iPhone would be free!

ArchAxis, Jan 30, 2013 IP
    geegel likes this.
  8. geegel

geegel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have this sudden feeling of deja-vu. Am I on WF? Just kidding. Great points mates.

geegel, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  9. coreygeer

coreygeer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:

I try every night to fit a cold shower in to unsee the things I see posted on the good ol WF. Sometimes I wonder if they truly believe what they're saying or not, or if the forum is a massive trolling effort to troll the IM community.

coreygeer, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  10. axxil

axxil Member

Best Answers:
    Kind of interesting this. Yes it's a powerful word but - and maybe I'm one of the very few doing this - these days when I see the word Free I run a mile. Since I've implemented this policy my overwhelm has just about disappeared. I'm back in control and am no longer nervous that I may be tempted by slick marketers/copywriters. On the other hand I've been in the game awhile and am very happy with my current crop of information providers.

axxil, Mar 9, 2013 IP
  11. wmatla

wmatla Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The most powerful word may be "you"

wmatla, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  12. Vincentas

Vincentas Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would agree that Free is powerful one, but not the most by far, well, at least not for me anymore, because nowadays it's over-used and just doesn't do the trick anymore. in fact, it's even started to get a negative connotation for I associate it with hidden rules and immediately start looking where's the catch. So I'd rather go with You

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
    Vincentas, Mar 20, 2013 IP