1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The idea behind a bidding directory blatantly breaks Google's rules

Discussion in 'Directories' started by PixelStreamed, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    robots.txt, meta tags, page titles, xml sitemaps, css

These are also not for visitors - no different to "nofollow"

Just good site houskeeping

Wealdie, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  2. kentuckyslone

kentuckyslone Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Personally I think those things are quite different from no follow tags. Anyone else?

robots.txt is for visitors - it is used to limit which pages they might visit by not having those pages indexed

meta tags and page titles are also for the visitors - they help the SE to provide a good title and description to help the visitor find the site or info they need

css is for visitors as well to give them a nice design and easy navigation

kentuckyslone, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  3. jminscoe

jminscoe Peon

Best Answers:
    IMHO I feel that no matter where you advertise your site bidding or paid its your own business I live in a free country not a dictatorship country and like people say find the best place for traffic or move on

jminscoe, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  4. kentuckyslone

kentuckyslone Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with that completely.

kentuckyslone, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  5. PixelStreamed

PixelStreamed Peon

Best Answers:
    It doesn't differ. It's just more blatant...

1) Paid directory you can tell good old Google the payment is for the editor to review the site. There's a grey area and always has been about whether this breaks Google's rules.
    2) On the other hand for a bidding directory your paying for the actual placement of the links position.

PixelStreamed, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  6. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Matt Cutts has already stated publicly that Google doesn't have a problem with a one-time review fee combined with clear quality control in directories:

Matt Cutts Updates Paid Links Post - How To Evaluate Directories

Summary by Barry Schwartz

I agree. Just like pixel sites and word cloud sites. Google will nullify any benefits and they'll drop off the planet.

See above. It doesn't.

I'd really like to hear how you think bidding directories are "quality" and how they differ from link farms.

AdWords/AdSense ads don't pass PR. Neither should bidding directories.

No. It will be because bidding directories do not fall within their published guidelines for webmasters. This is not rocket science.

No. Try to think about Google as a company that depends on doing everything they can to remove spam and manipulation from their search listings because that's what their continued #1 position depends on.

Absolutely. That has been true from the beginning and is still true.

No. AdWords/AdSense ads are javascript and do not pass on PageRank. If bidding directories did that, Google wouldn't have a problem with them. Of course, no one would buy those links either.

Correction: Public PR (Toolbar PR) may be 0 but the reason people are paying is because of estimated actual PR.

Exactly.

Exactly.

Bullshit. Google may not be "god" but it is still far and away the #1 search engine and therefore the #1 source of potential traffic. Not caring what Google thinks is the same as not caring to maximize traffic to your site.

minstrel, Sep 9, 2007 IP
    bobby9101 likes this.
  7. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    They are 0 toolbar PR, not 0 actual PR

bobby9101, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  8. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    You're a brave person posting such an honest statement here, well done you. The thing I found and I read pretty every much answer is that everyone tried to defend the indefensible.

Statements such as your "paying for traffic as well", isn't Google adsense the same thing, and so on.

So here's my honest take on it....

First of all I'd realy love to see genuine accounts of these alleged 'high bid payers' for after all the claim to do this to get 'exposure'.

I'd like the people who feel they can post critisising the OP as being 'Another Google Expert', to show the posters how 'they' believe they are 'more of an expert' than the OP, when they clearly don't have a clue as the OP is absolutely correct.

And finally, here's my take on jiminscoe when he makes his statement of democracy. If you want to act like an utter idiot and waste your money on paying for bidding links that get less exposure than the sun during an eclipse then that is totally up to them.

If people don't think Google aren't the proverbial God then they are either blatant liars or simlply naive. They dominate to the point where if they say jump, webmasters should say 'how High' not 'why should I jump?.

The trouble in here is that link sellers and PR chasers won't ever admit their wrong, they either know it all or think they do, and or have too much of a vested interest in bidding directories to admit they are a load of twaddle.

OP, your spot on, ignore the stone throwing here, the best form of defence is attack, the more right you are the more defending by attack your going to get.

Just my gods honest 2cents.

The Pheonix, Sep 9, 2007 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  9. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I will always try defend an arguable point.

You mean payment reciepts?

There are other purposes besides SEO purposes. I hope the crap bidding directories do go away, its mostly kids trying to make some $$$ from selling 1 dollar links on dropped domains to make a quick buck. Same as word clouds really. My bidding directory won't go away, so perhaps i shall be the last on the planet.

I dont see how a well ran bidding directory is any different to a paid directory? Those bidding directories ran properly are no different to a well ran paid directory.

I expect they don't. Their homepages have probably been nulled automatically due to little content.

www.bigweblinks.com. i have a homepage bid there. I did it for traffic, not PR. If i wanted to buy a PR7 link i could go spend $100-$300 on a PR7 text link somewhere, but choose not to.

mikey1090, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  10. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think I have ever seen you cuss before :D
    And "God" deserves a capital "G" sir ;)

pctec, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  11. balkanboy

balkanboy Banned

Best Answers:
    @Minstrel
    Thanks for teaching as all a lesson, I admire your IQ and education. I am sure you red a lot of books.
    From now on when I don't know anything I will ask you.
    Thanks again.

balkanboy, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  12. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    When you look at advertising generally speaking, whoever pays the most, gets the best spot. Plain and simple. You want to advertise in a newspaper or magazine, it does make a difference on which page your ad is displayed, correct?
    You can look at every web directory out there and see featured listings, such as on business.com http://www.business.com/Jobs.asp
    So why not install a system that whoever pays the most gets more exposure?

Blogmaster, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  13. jminscoe

jminscoe Peon

Best Answers:
    for one name calling people idiots is uncalled for 2 quit calling me a him as I am a her and I don't have what you possess to have and three its my money that I make so quit worrying where I spend it

jminscoe, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  14. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    That seems fair enough. If a homepage link there is genuinely good for traffic then why not "nofollow" and stay within the rules?

Wealdie, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  15. balkanboy

balkanboy Banned

Best Answers:
    BTW,

Quality directories don't let in everyone who pays. They review and list quality websites. They also list quality websites without payment.
    Link farms do not stand for anything above.

PR wasn't a question here. It is worthless anyway. What if I post a blog post about my new site because I want to get traffic? It will pass pr too, but it is not what I am after. Does this mean my blog should be banned?

Can I see that written please?

They want good SE results to keep users because they need users to make money. They don't run company because they have a good hart, but to make money.

balkanboy, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  16. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The problem is that if you looked at the average persons traffic from Google, you will probably find that Google sends more traffic to their site than all of the search engines put together.

No if you don't get traffic from Google and your competitors are still getting it then they have a large advantage compared to you when it comes to succeeding in your industry because of Google. Google sends so much traffic that with some websites they can make a business either a success or a failure. So if they don't like a business, they can penalise it and then watch it go out of business.

I glad that there is other things coming on the web now like social bookmarking, social networks and hopefully yahoo and msn will pull their figure out of their whatever and compete more.

john269, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  17. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    Google is definitely God when it comes to traffic. They are far and away the biggest referrer to almost everyone.

Lexiseek, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  18. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That may be true for some...
    I have a site that I do not promote here or anywhere else for that matter under this name as I know the little g weasels would get their nose up over it. 80 % of my traffic comes from Yahoo and not little g on that site. That could be due to the fact its a PR2 though... The way I see it is you have to please yourself with respect to your own sites. If anyone else has issues with them, including little g, then thats their problem. Like I said before, other search engines have no problem with my personal policies.

Right now, Yahoo is my search engine hero...

pctec, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  19. jminscoe

jminscoe Peon

Best Answers:
    Same here one of my sites gets more yahoo traffic then google altho it always being crawled by both of them

jminscoe, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  20. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Abolutely, Google can make or break a business. But when you build links and focus on getting them from places which actually send you targetted traffic as well, you're pretty safe and not likely to go all the way down the drain. When Google flushes you may float in circles, but you won't disappear. :)

Blogmaster, Sep 9, 2007 IP