1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Great Duplicate Content Myth

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by 1EightT, Aug 5, 2008.

1. 1EightT

1EightT Guest

Best Answers:
    1EightT, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  2. JessicaN

JessicaN Peon

Best Answers:
    Great article! Duplicate content can be checked according to search words. Am I wrong?

JessicaN, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  3. 1EightT

1EightT Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, it's more complex than that. Duplicate content can be checked at the time a search is performed, and within a result set, but it's done by comparing shingleprints from the pages. Think of each page you put online as a finger and think of duplicate content checking as fingerprinting. When the fingerprints are a close match across a number of documents, they are considered duplicates. My new article I just put up covers how they may treat these duplicate documents when you actually perform a search.

1EightT, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  4. Cyberpunked

Cyberpunked Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm, interesting read, thanks for sharing - although I'm not conviced either way yet. The argument was in part always whether duplicate content will get indexed (the penalties don't really interested me, if they even exist). And so far I haven't seen this occuring unless the content has been spun sufficiently. If you can show me 10 identical copies of content on different domains which have all been indexed by Google then I might reconsider. Social bookmarking sites mostly only have snipets of the original content together with unique comments/summaries so I'm not sure whether you can consider that duplicate content.

Cyberpunked, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  5. 1EightT

1EightT Guest

Best Answers:
    Duplicate content has no problem getting indexed. Read my new article posted today for an explanation of what happens after indexing.

1EightT, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  6. xentech

xentech Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. Perhaps in general that is the case, because the original post is likely to come from a very established and search engine friendly site (hence all copies of it) but this is because of those other factors, nothing to do with it being indexed from them first.

xentech, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  7. peter250

peter250 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I was thinking the same thing.. But i thought, if people are getting a news RSS feed in PHP format on their site..Or any feed for that matter.. Then isn't that classed as duplicate content..?
    :confused:

peter250, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  8. Tudi

Tudi Peon

Best Answers:
    If this leads you to believe that you can now start copying stuff and duplicating it on your site, give it a rest: dupe content reporting still works.

As Blackhat360 put it, it's difficult for the SEs to determine what's dupe and what not, so it leaves the choire to the average joe webmaster.

Tudi, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  9. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    Start reconsidering then.

These are all articles written many months ago, all still indexed in Google and all duplicate. You can find millions of examples of this if you bother to look.

sweetfunny, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  10. 1EightT

1EightT Guest

Best Answers:
    yep, not hard to find examples of articles, in full, all over google and all 100 percent duplicates.

1EightT, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  11. 1EightT

1EightT Guest

Best Answers:
    Sure, reporting works, but that rests on the individual webmaster which in reality means that 999 out of 1000 times you can get away with it. Information moves far too fast these days.

1EightT, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  12. 3dcgmodel

3dcgmodel Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi I am a martial art fans, I runnig a martial site before, do you like it too?

3dcgmodel, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  13. jssc

jssc Guest

Best Answers:
    Hmm... I've always been a follower of standard rules and I know next to nothing about different shady techniques. I've tried to steer clear of duplicate content as much as I can without actually knowing if it really exists or if its possible. Reading this article made me think more about this.. hmm..

jssc, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  14. Australianfranchises

Australianfranchises Peon

Best Answers:
    yah!! nice article sharing..

Australianfranchises, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  15. peter250

peter250 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Any thoughts on this.... Is it classed as duplicate content??:confused:

peter250, Aug 9, 2008 IP
  16. genuineseo

genuineseo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    An interesting article, thanks for sharing!

genuineseo, Aug 9, 2008 IP
  17. gerdywerdy

gerdywerdy Member

Best Answers:
    hi there

I enjoyed your article

I can only speak from my own experience. I had a site deleted from google and yahoo index for three months and the only reason there could have been for this was duplicate content

gerdywerdy, Aug 10, 2008 IP
  18. Next

Next Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is exactly what I have been thinking. I have an arcade script that scrapes other sites for games and I've had a few people freaking out over "Google duplicate content", yet look at how many other sites have the games.

Next, Aug 10, 2008 IP
  19. mupha

mupha Peon

Best Answers:
    I am currently overseeing several sites that (legally) aggregate RSS content with no noticeable "duplicate content" issues. There is a little additional, original, quality niche content on those sites as well, however, which might help.

My take on it is that if the site as a whole provides additional value over and above the syndicated (duplicate) content, then SE's will be happy.

mupha, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  20. eugie17

eugie17 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think google is working hard now to put an end to duplicate content, sooner or later it will be panelized

eugie17, Aug 11, 2008 IP