1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Google -50 penalty and other penalties

Discussion in 'Google' started by Office Man, Jan 23, 2008.

1. jigolo

jigolo Peon

Best Answers:
    How to be penalized?

jigolo, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  2. gemini181

gemini181 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    SEO is a combination of facts, myths, science, 'art', rumors, and other various BS. :)

gemini181, Jan 29, 2008 IP
    metros likes this.
  3. 330td

330td Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Im out of the -50 penalty, this lasted 14 days, the solution was to remove an article I made after the CES show, it was a recap of all articles posted during the show with about 20 internal links.

So i think too many internal links could be a reason to be punished by google

330td, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  4. JOSHDP

JOSHDP Peon

Best Answers:
    Is there a way to check a domain has a -50 penalty or not? I recently come across a 18 months directory site. It has about 15K of backlinks. It also has decent traffic for the more than one year according to Alexa data. But it has a zero pagerank. I google search and the site probably had PR3 or PR4. I guess the directory site has been penalize? Is there a site you can verify a domain has been penalized or not.

JOSHDP, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  5. Scripter

Scripter Peon

Best Answers:
    Happened to two of my new sites about a week ago, after loads of social bookmarking links added a little fast...but it's normally just a matter of time till they rank normal again, I'd tend to refer to it as "sandbox" effect, which seems to affect older domains now as well as soon as there is an unnatural link growth in a short time.

Scripter, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  6. Tallica' Fan

Tallica' Fan Peon

Best Answers:
    Now that one is interesting??????? can anyone else shed any light on this - can you over link iternally on your own site - say keyword linking in your news page etc???

Tallica' Fan, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  7. newbie3

newbie3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds strange... i cant imagine this is true

newbie3, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  8. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    matt cutts has said many times that paying for a review in a directory like yahoo is fine.

mikey1090, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  9. Tallica' Fan

Tallica' Fan Peon

Best Answers:

yeah, well there aren't any directories ' like yahoo' - all the others call it a sponsored list or a featured listing - ARE THESE PAID LINKS

if so why the hell doesn't every directory owner change thier wording and also not state clearly on their site that those that have paid are 'sponsored' they shuold just list them at the top of the regular listings.

Tallica' Fan, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  10. msbaby

msbaby Peon

Best Answers:
    After reading about posts of drop in traffic, I wanted to write and let you know that you are not alone! My main site (two years old) has over 400 pages (unique content) with 300-350 indexed and all of a sudden....not ranking for any of my keywords.

A while back it did the same thing then came back for four weeks or so only to drop like a rock once again.

The sites that NOW rank for my keywords have a tenth of the the backlinks that I had and less pagerank. I have submitted to some free for all directories recently, but most of my backlinks were coming from relevant forums in my niche (mommy stuff). I wasn't making a killing off adsense because the PPC is very low for baby names. But now I'm not making anything.

I've always thought the way to dig out of a slump was to work on backlinks.....but I have better backlinks than the other sites that are scooping all the searches in my niche, so now what? Stop link building through directories? Do some link exchanges with other relevant sites? Or just wait it out?

msbaby, Feb 4, 2008 IP
  11. Tallica' Fan

Tallica' Fan Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Clare,

the more i read on sites like yours the more i am convinced that the over marketing theory might just hold water, have you done a reconsideration request? it might also be worth asking these free directories to remove your link (also be aware that most of these free directories take over 6 months to add your link) so even if you have added your link recently they might not be live yet. have any of your pages gone to a grey bar in the page rank bar?

Tallica' Fan, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  12. msbaby

msbaby Peon

Best Answers:
    I have some pages deep in the site that have never been anything else, but to answer your question the pages still seem to be indexed, just no traffic except on really odd queries. Is a reconsideration request for completely dropped pages or if we see a drop in traffic such as I described?

On the free directory thing, I understood that "presence builds presence", and this may be very true for brand new sites that have no links whatsover but the fact that sites with less content and fewer links (including less quality links, I do have more links than just free dir. links) are outpacing me, I'm having to re-think things.

msbaby, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  13. Tallica' Fan

Tallica' Fan Peon

Best Answers:
    keep visiting the google forum here and on other webmaster forums, these penalty threads are springing up every day and you may see something that rings a bell with regards to your case.

Good luck

Tallica' Fan, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  14. vinodxx

vinodxx Guest

Best Answers:
    Text link ads can cause penalization.

vinodxx, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  15. 330td

330td Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why i would lie i don't promote any e-book :D

PS: Here is a screenshot of my traffic coming from google only:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

330td, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  16. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Reading this thread I still don't know what the -50 penalty is supposed to be. My guess is all your serps dropped by 50?

Been doing this for almost 10 years, but haven't stayed up to date for a few months on the new fads, sorry if this seems like a lame question.

debunked, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  17. 330td

330td Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes it's all results dropped by 50

330td, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  18. Office Man

Office Man Peon

Best Answers:
    now guess what a -90 penalty is????:p

Office Man, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  19. 330td

330td Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I never heard of the -90 penalty but the -950 exists for other reasons

330td, Feb 9, 2008 IP
  20. cesarmello

cesarmello Peon

Best Answers:
    How many time will take to a reinclusion request get effect?

I got almost all my websites affected by the -50 penalty because I crosslinked then inserting links to each other in the foot of all webpages.

Seemed like a good Idea at the time and all serp experts said if I wouldn´t exchange links between more than 10 websites it should be fine.

Guess it isn´t, I now I know why.

It took me a long time to realize the reason because It hapened a month after I changed my Hosting, so I thought it had somenthing to do with geotargeting (since the new server was located in anothe country)

Now I have removed the links in the major websites and used nofollow in the others, submitting a reinclusion request.

It has been 10 days now.

How long should I wait? 30 days? 6 months?

cesarmello, Feb 11, 2008 IP