1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Future of Optigold ISP

Discussion in 'Optigold ISP' started by digitalpoint, Jun 3, 2004.

1. CydSP1

CydSP1 Peon

Best Answers:
    This message may have been asked at some point in the past but alas I am unable to find record of it in this forum..so I will ask it anyway.

What happens to the source code for OptiGold if Digital Point sinks? Will it go into escrow?

Thanks

Cyd

CydSP1, Oct 18, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's already in escrow. If we go out of business everything is released to the public domain automatically.

digitalpoint, Oct 18, 2004 IP
  3. shotel

shotel Peon

Best Answers:
    Any news or updates on the progress of Optigold/PhP? You pointed out there may be samples from time to time. Thanx!

shotel, Feb 14, 2005 IP
  4. dougd

dougd Peon

Best Answers:
    Has a decision been made relative to the OptiGold rewrite? I too would vote for MySQL + PHP. Note using any portable language at least for the client would solve a whole bunch of problems. My company like a number of ISP's (yahoo, pair) uses FreeBSD. I would love not to have anything important on our windows machines.

Assuming you decide to stick with windows, I vote for be able to export raw data saving at least the export specification.

dougd, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  5. WISENet

WISENet Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawn any chance of a progess report?

We have been holding out for over a year on doing a major upgrade to our whole system. We would love to keep using Optigold, but we can't wait for ever.

Time to look else where for something that is already using php and mySQL, like agileco.com. Anybody looked at this or something else as good as Optigold but using php/mySQL?

WISENet, Jun 27, 2005 IP
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No sorry... it's not going to be announced officially until it's ready to be shipped.

digitalpoint, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  7. dougd

dougd Peon

Best Answers:
    I was not looking for a progres report, just what direction you decided to go. Is that also a secret?

dougd, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  8. dougd

dougd Peon

Best Answers:
    Never mind should have read earlier posts

dougd, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  9. WISENet

WISENet Peon

Best Answers:
    Any chance of a rough time frame? Are we looking at weeks/months/years? (I'm sure nobody will hold you to it). Management wants us to decide by next month, so if you are close we will stall them looking at using something else....

Thanks
    Aaron

WISENet, Jun 29, 2005 IP
  10. john

john Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not looking for an announcement even. I just want to know if it is actually being developed now or not. I realize it could take time to rewrite the whole thing, and it does sound like a daunting task, but it 'appears' that the Optigold development and progress has pretty much stalled.

My opinion is that all of us Optigold users should get some sort of update or acknowledgement on what is actually happening so that we don't start feeling like we are being led on a false hope. We are in a rapidly changing industry with many new needs that didn't even exist a few years ago and the key advantage that attracted us to OPTI was the timely development of new features, which ironically, it now lacks. I'm sure we are not the only ISP looking down the road and wondering if we should continue to wait for something that 'may or may not' come... or have to consider the unspeakable; converting to new billing software?

Please share your plans with us!

john, Jun 30, 2005 IP
  11. Drwho17

Drwho17 Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes it would be nice to know, I'm starting to catch some questions here about Optigold's status.

Drwho17, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  12. tbuchanan

tbuchanan Peon

Best Answers:
    I vote for php/mysql. I was never a big fan of Filemaker it made me think of MS Access whenever I used it for some reason.

My only question is... how exactly will we run invoices? A printer attached to the server possibly?

Thanks!
    Trey

tbuchanan, Jul 13, 2005 IP
  13. tandac

tandac Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why not PHP+Postgre?

PostgreSQL runs nicely on Linux and Windows with no special tricks required. It's mature and has triggers, PL/SQL languages, and refferential integrity. When designing an important company wide database those are the features that are important to me.

MySQL has none of the above features. Do you really want to be desiging a database without them?

tandac, Jul 13, 2005 IP
  14. Drwho17

Drwho17 Guest

Best Answers:
    I think it was settled much earlier that it is going to be php/mysql based.

Drwho17, Jul 14, 2005 IP
  15. James

James Guest

Best Answers:
    I also vote for PHP/MySQL. Optigold is a very user friendly interface. Putting it on a robust database backend will only make it that much better.

James, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  16. nighthawke

nighthawke Peon

Best Answers:
    PHP/OpenSQL or MySQL. Filemaker has hit a wall and is in need of a drastic overhaul to be competitive in the open source market. Once upon a time FM was the cat's meow when I worked for a ISP that used macs as their primary servers and office gear. It could take a beating and keep on ticking.

That time has passed now with the macs gone and all the equipment changed over to PC's and windows. And FM seems to have stayed in one place..

nighthawke, Jul 24, 2005 IP
  17. davet

davet Peon

Best Answers:
    Are there still plans for a new version & if so is there an ETA of when it will be available?

davet, Aug 3, 2005 IP
  18. glidewave

glidewave Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, Filemaker hasn't necessarily stayed in one place, but Optigold has kinof...... we're at a point where I will not order any more licenses (been that way for a year), and the CEO basically said in a mgmt meeting this week "I don't care if it costs 20k, find a new system" <explitives removed>. So I have re-started my evaluations of other systems and am looking to sell/transfer our OG license.....especially because of the lack of any update or status....which isn't very fair to those that depend on the software. If the ISP side of our business was our only business, we'd be DOA at this point because we need more flexibility with regards to hosting integration, c/ilec backend integration, better handling of separate brands, true reseller support etc....etc..

Does my frustration show? :)

Jon Hiller
    Other World Computing

glidewave, Aug 18, 2005 IP
    Mia likes this.
  19. WISENet

WISENet Peon

Best Answers:
    Us too, Jon. Be interested in what you change to, we are looking at agilebill.com (everything that Optigold should be....)

Aaron

WISENet, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  20. glidewave

glidewave Guest

Best Answers:
    Aaron:

Never saw that one.....that is very interesting....will check out...

Jon

glidewave, Aug 24, 2005 IP