1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Future For Directories

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Business Services, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Adam Za7

Adam Za7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I still think the future is bright for those who offer a legitimate value with their directory. I believe the directory model can and will still work as long as its clear what the purpose of the directory is and its admission standards. Google is helping to wipe away the spammers and only those with a value adding service left to prosper. What do you think?

Adam Za7, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  2. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    Mon, you will probably find that one of the biggest challeges you'll find with your approach is 'time' , another will be its bro 'scale'

All will choose their path

Happy New year

centime, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  3. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    Adam I think it is clear what Google is against.

The selling and buying of links with a view to enhancing a sites ranking/position.

I have read a lot on this subject and I have not seen anywhere that some paid directories will be fine whilst others will not. That said it is interesting the likes of business.com have not been hit.

Were Arriva and Alive and bigweblinks directories built on spam? No of course not, but they have all been hit and are in line for more cuts.

Business Services, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  4. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Business Services did you not recently sell links yourself for $8 as a package?

PR4's PR5's?

Is the future for backlinks to sell them as a package, details hidden, like under the counter, your a link dealer?

pipes, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  5. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well yahoo/BOTW have fooled them well.

mikey1090, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  6. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    No Pipes

Around 6 months ago I had a paid feature on my directory, however like I said all online businesses need to be developed with flexibility in mind.

7. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    mickey I don't think yahoo and BOTW got by simply because of the wording of their product, possibly more to do with the size of these organisations. The fact Google has not attacked the top echelon of link sellers is interesting but like they always say, they can do what they want with their own product. We either bend with them or stand against them, no one is forcing anyone to do anything.

8. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ? and i though you gut the grip on the differences, but not sure think you might nave a big wooden stiring spoon because, not sure what your reading, but i would guess you got the book in the fiction isle.

update

Also just read your sig that your promoting, and i suppose they are not paid links, they would be advertising which is what i stated up front.

and for better purposes what is the difference between a directory and what you have ?

better things than to stir pots i think and not sure what your trying to do maybe linkbait, destroy the comp or just enjpy causing friction ? or are we out grabbing brownie points ? gotta love it whatever

DownUnder, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  9. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    A very interesting post downunder, I am not sure how discussing any subject on a public forum can have any effect on anything. I have stated these are just my own opinions, your post shows a degree of immaturity.

10. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    If you do not know the difference between my marketplace and a directory, then you do not understand online business. All the entries in my marketplace are indexed by Google.

A clue to the difference................... CONTENT

In the same way a portfolio, testimonial and article pages work, they are embroiled in content.

11. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Do you know what im actually referring to specifically?

pipes, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  12. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If thats your view thats fine with me, duscussing a subject is fine but you seem very one sided but thats fine, howver there is nothing really new with those views and you will probably find by looking back most people have discussed and agree that changes need to be made.

Yes i did see your content but but was more intersted in the fee side of the the listing and the link and in relation to paid directories / your comments re paid directories as many do and are now providing content in varying degrees.

i would agree that the way you have structured is the the more correct way in terms of where things will go and in that see no need for any demise of paid directories as such.

DownUnder, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  13. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    From a personal point of view, I would be happy for paid directories to make a come back, simply because I would add a paid section to my own directory, however I do not see it happening.

Directories need to change, if they can become encased in unique content it may work, who knows.

Pipes I obviously missed your point.

14. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Il just leave you to think, i dont want to fan your fire.

pipes, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  15. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    I do not sell links, in the past my site has but this changed a while back. As for PR4 and 5. My site has never reached PR5, just 4. So no amount of thinking will change these facts.

The fact you could not explain yourself fully, shows it is another foolish post.

Just because a person has a differing view on a particular subject, does this mean his or her opinions are less worthy of consideration?

16. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I can explain and usually i go into deep detail but it gets tiring, discussing the same things over and over makes little sense, having a discussion about a matter once, learning from it, and then moving forward is much more productive.

Your coming across a bit hostile, can always see that in posts where someone is bored and desperate to get some reaction.

Your views are as worthy as everyone elses, im all for fairness, your entitled to express yourself and differ in opinion, its just a matter of if you have read many posts here you will pick up on the fact that some things have been discussed to death.

Its new years day still for me, lets move forward Business Services dont get stuck in the past.

Its new year, not news year :) leave old news where it belongs.

pipes, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  17. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    my name is not mickey.

Did you see a blog post the other day? It was basically proof of matt cutts saying google did not penalise techcrunch for having paid links.

I think you're right to a certain extent. If google penalises me, will i take them to court? no. Yahoo/botw might...

mikey1090, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  18. Business Services

Business Services Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not sure how Google can be taken to court for applying a set of rules and restrictions to their own platform.

Pipes, I am not desperate for anything, you asked if I sold pr4 and 5 links, I simply said no.

To plan for the future people need to be fully aware of actions taken in the past. The comments on this thread show most people have a good understanding of what is going on, but not all. However very few seem to understand how to move forward.

19. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    You do realize that Google has been taken to court by other parties, for the same reasons, SERPs and so on?

They can be taken to court. And trust me, it won't be very long before Yahoo makes a move.

Meti

WatchOut, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  20. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Very well said!!:D

stoner3221, Jan 1, 2008 IP