1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The freaking most ANNOYING writing mistakes found online

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by MoneyMoose, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Trusted Writer

Trusted Writer Banned

Best Answers:
    Missing period after me too. ;)

I do hate when people omit apostrophes with contractions.

Trusted Writer, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  2. Briongloid

Briongloid Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been helping my girlfriend find a new job lately and have been sending out her CV to various places on her behalf. What I've come to realise is that, as a so-called profession, HR people have the worst spelling and grammar I have ever seen. It's nothing short of atrocious!

As front-line ambassadors to their company they should not be making the sorts of spelling and grammar mistakes that can easily be picked out by your average nine year old, yet this is precisely what they're doing. Instead of making people grovel for work they should be sent back to remedial school.

The point I’m making is that it isn't just the internet that's the problem, rather contemporary writing in general. That's why I get flyers through my letterbox with huge, glaring spelling mistakes on them, why my local paper is also brimful of remedial grammar mistakes and why all these HR bright-sparks can't even spell the name of the industry they're supposed to be involved in.

For example, we got back an email which said, and I quote: “Its sales and markiting work”

I don't mind the its/it's, and I would also understand if it was a typo, but I and E are on other sides of the keyboard. I would also understand if it was a momentary lapse of concentration on a single email, but it wasn't, because this is an auto-responder message sent out to every applicant.

Now conditions are gloomy at the moment, to say the least, and no doubt there are hundreds, if not thousands, of applicants applying for this one position and I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt a little twinge of bitterness at this woman who clearly cannot spell the word “marketing” despite being the Head of HR for a Sales and Marketing company.
    And she’s only one, of many, examples.

I tell you, after this whole episode I've never been so happy to be self-employed!

Briongloid, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  3. SFolega

SFolega Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a whole site dedicated to such mistakes! :D

I mean showing people how to correct the mistakes, not that I make them! ;)

SFolega, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  4. Tori

Tori Peon

Best Answers:
    I hate the fact that people do not capitalize the "I" when talking about themselves.

Tori, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  5. MoneyMoose

MoneyMoose Peon

Best Answers:
    I love the irony in this thread - people are correcting people who are correcting others. :D

MoneyMoose, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  6. chillingbreeze

chillingbreeze Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL... True! :p I noticed that and you spoke my words.

chillingbreeze, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  7. walle

walle Peon

Best Answers:
    I do not care if every word is misspelled as long as the ad copy makes money for me.

walle, Jun 22, 2008 IP
  8. Zograf

Zograf Peon

Best Answers:
    I hate when people are using (almost) the same colour for the letters as for the background.

Highlight it for reading.

Zograf, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  9. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    I blame the demise of spelling and grammar on text messaging. That's it. Case closed. <grin>

Read letters from 18-year-old soldiers during the civil war and you think you're reading a literary work of art. You don't see that from 18-year-olds these days. It's more like "wht r u up 2?"

webgal, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  10. dancingintherain

dancingintherain Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a quite bad grammar, kill me for that.

dancingintherain, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  11. QuickWebContent

QuickWebContent Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to say these are all things that have annoyed me in the past. Especially, when you are competing for jobs with these people and they don't know the difference between a and an or effect and affect. The worst is when they can't formulate a coherent sentence period.

QuickWebContent, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  12. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    Eighty percent of the time I look this up. But I do know to look it up. I'm always right. I know the rule. I just always think, "Is that right?" So I obsessively look it up.

It's and its drives me nuts. Your and you're makes me crazy. If you can say "You are" the contraction is "You're". If it's possessive it's your.

Just thought I'd throw in that 2-second lesson.

webgal, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  13. gtc55

gtc55 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum. This is my first post and I was instantly attracted by this thread!

I think my worst pet hate is its and it's. It really annoys me; it's not that tricky...especially if you're a professional!

I remember being in a shop last year (it was a big supermarket chain) and there was a slogan on a t-shirt that said: wear lip gloss its the law.

Apart from the fact that the t-shirt was aimed at young girls (that's another matter) - it just made me angry on too many levels to be classed as sane!

gtc55, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  14. Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra Peon

Best Answers:
    Name and address please.

As for what everyone's talking about, it's really surprising how many people have bad grammar, wrong spellings or just plain horrible writing in this thread itself. I would talk about how annoyed I am, but to be honest I'm not annoyed and I know most of you will never write for a living anyway.

Everyone makes mistakes, including you (especially me), and you have no write (pun intended) to rant like this when you're making the very same mistakes yourself.

Go back to school to stop being a hypocrite, or learn to be humble.

Last but not least, the magazine I work at has an excellent HR manager who is also a good writer. So there.

P.S.: You-know-who, I can't believe people buy your "quality content" creation services. But hey, my disbelief doesn't make it fiction.

P.P.S.: Starting a sentence with conjunctions is allowed, stop living in the dark ages.

Ulquiorra, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  15. Briongloid

Briongloid Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I think you can forgive a people their spelling and grammar in a forum more than you can in a professional email or a written article, for example. But when (you can start a sentence with but in a forum, right?) you see glaringly obvious errors on sales copy or news articles that's a different story.

Briongloid, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  16. Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra Peon

Best Answers:
    Done it myself. And addressed right there. (<< Also that and)

Yeah, I suppose it doesn't matter so much in a forum.

Ulquiorra, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  17. Business_in_2008

Business_in_2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    This forum is my live

Business_in_2008, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  18. dancingintherain

dancingintherain Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll pm you with them. :D

Some people didn't learned English at school. Or maybe just a few years.The internet is populated with other nationalities too.

dancingintherain, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  19. jssc

jssc Guest

Best Answers:
    You are, You're and Your.

I just can't help noticing it when they mix these up. It's like a glaring neon sign straight at your face. Sometimes people just really make this mistake because they're in a hurry. I think I was guilty of this too once or twice.

jssc, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  20. Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra Peon

Best Answers:
    You can't mix up "you are" and "you're". They're the same thing.

Ulquiorra, Jul 7, 2008 IP