1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Effects of Nofollow

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by ramccluskey, Aug 26, 2010.

As a matter of interest: I have a site that I have been positioning as an authority site. It has quite a few outbound links to authority sites related to my topics. About four months ago I nofollowed all of those links to see what effect it would have on my Google rank. So far, no change whatsoever!

ramccluskey, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  2. loksch

loksch Active Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting....my info says that NoFollow will not affect your backlinks...it will just prevent the Googlebot from searching in those areas.

loksch, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  3. belgian

belgian Peon

Best Answers:
    Outbound links don't matter all that much for rankings. It's inbound links (and other factors) that count.

The discussion is around how much value there is in an inbound no-follow link from a high PR site.

Pierre.

belgian, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  4. Brad Callen

Brad Callen Peon

Best Answers:
    Well you PR is still being distributed TO those links just not THROUGH them. So your in bound links are not receiving any more PR. That's why they said not to use it for PR sculpting anymore. Best thing you could do to distribute that (and be certain about it) is something like an iframe or remove the OBL's altogether.

Brad Callen, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  5. belgian

belgian Peon

Best Answers:
    belgian, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  6. uggur

uggur Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for link belgian.

uggur, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  7. blings

blings Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a proof that only inbound links affect your rankings and nowhere connected to your outgoing links. Additionally, correct me if I am wrong, and if I understood link sculpting right, outbound links are counted by number not by type. Ex. You got a PR 1 page with 10 outbound links. Each of the link out will have a share of .10. Now, if you nofollow 5 of the outbound links, the share will be the same as .10. How is that? Links are still there and are counted, though putting nofollow in them means you are washing off their chance of getting the .10 share, but not giving that share to the followed links. If you want to increase the share of each outgoing link, deleting unnecessary is the right way to go.

blings, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  8. r.suhag

r.suhag Active Member

Best Answers:

In simple words

No Cache
    No no crawling
    Ranking not increase

Nofollow tag works for search engine robots. If anyone having Nofollow tag its mention it is a garbage for search engine robots and robots pass next step without cache, without crawl.

Its Effect

page not increase on ranking on search engines

r.suhag, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  9. vk_lisbon

vk_lisbon Peon

Best Answers:
    Nofollow Link Attribute:
    When a search bot comes across nofollow link, it will know that it should not crawl the site on the other end. Additionally, it will prevent the passing of PageRank through a particular link to the site.

Nofollow Meta Robots Tag:
    Nofollow link attribute has a big brother, which is nofollow in meta robots tag. It has same effect as nofollow link attribute but at the higher level which is page level. What it mean is search engines should not crawl all the links on the page which has nofollow meta robots tag. That’s why I call it big brother because it applies to all the links on the page while little brother only affects 1 particular link.

Noindex Meta Robots Tag:
    In order for your page not to show on the results page of search engines, you would need to use a meta robots tag with the noindex attribute.

Effectively Use Noindex And Nofollow:
    For some reason, most people use a noindex and nofollow tag as the default noindex tag when just using the noindex tag alone would be more appropriate in the meta robots. One of the reason you may want to do this is keeping the site private from search engine but allow public visitor who get invited. And you want to keep all the internal pages and links private.

When you add the nofollow tag to a meta robots tag on a page, it causes all links on that page to be tagged as nofollow. Sometimes you want to tag all links on a page as nofollow. Typically this is the case when the page links to only pages that are causing you SEO issues such as duplicate content or you are trying to stop the page from passing any page rank for some strategic reason.

Most of the time when you want to noindex a page, you still want it to pass page rank. For example if you have a page number 2 of a list you may want to noindex it to avoid a duplication issue with page number 1, but you still may want it to pass page rank through the links in the list.

vk_lisbon, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  10. TroyM

TroyM Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ramccluskey i stalking about outbound links from his website..and making them nofollow, not in-bound links.
    RamC, You said no effect so far, how long ago did you make them nofollow ? I belive it should increase your PR value making those links nofollow. I had a similar experience and my PR went up..

Thanks

TroyM, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  11. Jmontana

Jmontana Peon

Best Answers:
    I think no follow are not benefited but also not harmful. They will not effect PR or SERP.

Jmontana, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  12. tssen

tssen Peon

Best Answers:
    i like to mix them in with my stuff

tssen, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  13. jauhis

jauhis Peon

Best Answers:
    nofallow also counts... and it looks natural when you have some nofallow links.

jauhis, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  14. jannyflcn

jannyflcn Peon

Best Answers:
    nofollow is an HTML attribute value used to instruct some search engines that a hyperlink should not influence the link target's ranking in the search engine's index.

but it will create back links...

jannyflcn, Aug 28, 2010 IP
  15. seoservicesvs

seoservicesvs Member

Best Answers:
    NoFollow blogs helps only for traffic!

seoservicesvs, Aug 28, 2010 IP
  16. catilucky

catilucky Peon

Best Answers:
    nofollow is the way to tell search engine not follow this specific link

catilucky, Aug 28, 2010 IP
  17. champu

champu Peon

Best Answers:
    Nofollow" provides a way for webmasters to tell search engines "Don't follow links on this page" or "Don't follow this specific link."
    Originally, the nofollow attribute appeared in the page-level meta tag, and instructed search engines not to follow (i.e., crawl) any outgoing links on the page

champu, Aug 29, 2010 IP