1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Directory Industry is Unique so Let's use that to our Advantage

Discussion in 'Directories' started by jg123, Sep 28, 2007.

1. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I couldn't agree more jg123...
    This whole place has been a real downer lately and it would be nice if it changed immediately.

pctec, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  2. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:

Some good worthwhile directories don't have PR yet on inner categories so this is not a good way to tell.

I said the directory industry is unique not directories themselves.

Yep sometimes it ain't easy, but I will keep trying harder.

No one really knows what gooogle is doing, so in order to give some type of freshness to this debate I think everyone needs to wait until some more facts are available, the proverbal 'dead horse' has been beaten to dust.

Also as I stated in a previous thread, those directories are still earning money so I guess the owners have better things to do.

I am hoping for the best, so far this thread has only one negative post and it is based on the fact that the peson did not bother reading the original post or simply can't understand it. That is a good sign :)

jg123, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  3. mywebsearches

mywebsearches Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with most of you, its about time to make each of our visit to this forum interesting and worthy.

We have an obligation with our current/future customers, and useless discussions only give the wrong impression about directories.

Let's start working on attracting more customers and offering more service to them.

mywebsearches, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  4. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Good post...

I agree that lately thiers been to many green horns being sent here to disrupt the
    flow off things and i just ignore them but they do get under my skin as usually they
    dont back anything up and just post with no intentions other then to disrupt.

Ok back to work for me on Biz-King :(

Ive added 600+ more categories and am going threw each and every link
    and deleting garbage sites and sites that are currently "parked pages". :rolleyes:

Only 2500 more links to go... see yaz

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Sep 28, 2007 IP
    Mr_Kumar likes this.
  5. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    This is where we differ. Its quite clear what Google is doing and some people are still battling to come to terms with the fact that this is a unique industry and that it does have future outside the parameters that were laid by the same lame ducks you refer to.
    Are you saying that they are making more money now than they were? They had a lot to say before the meltdown or is it because their time is being taken up removing the MFA sites that somehow crept into their listings. Its just a pity that your silver tongued friends cant stop by and make a constructive contribution to the mess they are responsible for creating. It would make a big difference to a lot of people and might just put a stop to all the bickering and insults that get tossed around with gay abandon.

workshop, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  6. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What you said above is a perfect example of why you are part of the problem not the solution. My statement was perfectly clear and the fact that you are trying to twist it into something to suit your adgenda is warped. I am sorry but I will not respond to you anymore on these forums because you have proven to me to not be participating in these threads in 'good faith'.

jg123, Sep 28, 2007 IP
    scoobby likes this.
  7. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    These threads and these kind of people like jg123 make me want to participate in directory bussines as a hobby fo now.So i will put in my ignore list all this people that have no intension to discuss but only to do harm to the directory bussines for their own purpose.

scoobby, Sep 28, 2007 IP
  8. balkanboy

balkanboy Banned

Best Answers:
    Great post with 100% valid points most of people here will agree for sure.
    I hope it will make some argument liking people to think about what you wrote.

balkanboy, Sep 29, 2007 IP
    Mr_Kumar and jg123 like this.
  9. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    I am not going to lose any sleep over that.
    I don't consider this to be a particularly constructive way to conclude your OP. Its was said with every intention of eliciting a response. So don't be surprised when you get one. Twit!

However to get back to the point that you got all knotted up about. Transparency and accountability are two things that I expect from anyone professing to be a reputable authority in these shark infested waters. There are a number of directory masters who have had their sites zapped who are pitching in who are looking for solutions. Why not Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum? No accountability. No integrity. That's got to change if you want to start building honest, solid foundations.

workshop, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  10. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Directory owners are so sensative.

Do you listen to your customers?

Rather than concentrating on linking to hundreds of websites like a link farm, think outside of the box.

It was only a matter of time before Google did something.

IF I was a directory owner right now I'd be looking at creating a niche directory, rather than a page full of links to any old crap.

I'm not having a go - just trying to help a little.

Good to see someone is thinking out side of the box.

DarrenC, Sep 29, 2007 IP
    Mr_Kumar likes this.
  11. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Im staying open minded and learning from others.:)

pipes, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  12. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I love this feature, you are only the fourth person to make it there.

If your post did not include all the above and just the helpful bottom part I would have given you green rep and been pleased to read it. But you chose like so many other 'new' faces I used to never see in this section, to take a negative dig at directory owners. I think if someone really has something worthwhile to contribute they should be able to find a way to do it that is 'civil', without an aggressive attitude. Your points will be taken much more seriously then.

Thanks for all the great comments and support thus far.

jg123, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  13. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Very well said jg123 [​IMG]

Lets support everybody.

If someone hates directory industry, throw them out..
    If someone wants to learn - teach them.
    Appreciate someone for his little success :cool:

MeetHere, Sep 29, 2007 IP
    Fastian likes this.
  14. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I dont think anyone hates the directory industry but maybe just became a little bit frustrated with it.

No one should be thrown out if they voice their opinion towards us, we cant choose to hear the good comments and ignore the bad incase it upsets us, were better of listening to why they became p'd off.

We can teach them but those someones can also teach us.

Everyones success is great, i love to hear of it, i also love to hear of why someone is unhappy with something, if i can correct it i will. :)

pipes, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  15. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    DarrenC although the quality of the directory and lack of content and services plays a major role in the troubles some directory owners are experiencing, the main reason these directories have been hit is because they were selling/buying/trading links. You are over generalizing the issue at hand, selling links on a niche directory is as bad as selling links in a general directory.

LaCabra, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  16. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    That's a little rich coming from you. Take your own advice and stop whining. If you dont have anything constructive to add, dry up. It might be news to you but no one gives fiddlers fart for your green and red reps.
    I thought that it was high PR quality sites that Google targeted. Has the profile changed?
    Its time to go back to basics and to start building directories because you have an interest in developing a genuine resource. Not so difficult to understand but some directory owners are finding that its a bitter pill to swallow.

LaCabra likes this.
  17. Fastian

Fastian Peon

Best Answers:
    Excellent posts jg123

After seeing so much of negative posts where the prime cause is to bash other member by whatever means, its good to see some positive stuff. :)

Don't know about others but I know what I am gonna do. I have been working on something (even before that Google issue started) and I am still on it, perhaps not as fast I should be (cause of some personal problems) but I know I am gonna get it sooner or later.

I believe we all learn form our mistakes and its time we stop crying on what has been done and start looking ahead.

Fastian, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  18. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:

You see someone was trying to do that and some people keep throwing dust and he haved to stop, to think what he would do....
    But now i use the feature of ignore i think i will return to my first idea and
    make it work propetly.

scoobby, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  19. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't agree that we should sink to the level of the haters. We don't need to throw anyone out. We just need to be more vigilante about encouraging the trolls.

I am always glad to hear and argue opposing points of view because it educates me and allows me to do a better job. But most of these jokers are running around this section with all these grandiose thread titles like 'Google Finally Kills Directories" and "Directories Penalties Destroy Greed" and whatever other silly attention getting comments they can think of.

I respect LaCabra's opinions but I am not sure I fully agree with this:

There has been no proof or substantiating comments from gooogle, so it is still not clear how or why or even 'if' there were penalties.

If there was penalties why does it seem blogs and other websites have been hit as well and why does it appear sites that have not bought or sold links have been effected. Why also does it seem 1000's of other sites that blatantly buy or sell links (I have an example of maxlinks in another thread) have escaped unscathed? Why are the supposedly penalized sites making it back in the SERPs now? Why did they continue to be indexed at all? Why were they still ranking well for certain keywords (I mentioned one of my directories does not rank for it's name but still achieved it's highest rank for 'web directory' during this supposed ''penalization''). There are just too many unanswered questions for folks to be making blanket statements like that, it is not only unprofessional but makes people sound petty and jealous.

From my understanding gooogle would be treading dangerously into anti-trust possibilities if they started penalizing folks because they 'thought' they were buying/selling links. Besides the general negative fall-out from the webmaster community they would essentially be forcing people towards using their own service and they do have a virtual stranglehold on the industry.

jg123, Sep 29, 2007 IP
  20. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Google warned us that they were going to put a stop to people selling PR and I seriously doubt whether that market is ever going to recover. They might well let the wide boys back into the picture but on the other-hand they might just decide to de-index them altogether. None of us know for sure but if he still believes that the world is flat, its a very very silly directory owner who starts shouting his mouth off on this forum in particular.