1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Digg Effect

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Moto, Mar 3, 2006.

1. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    The front page of link is the ultimate link baiting location if you can get there.

In fact, even away from the front page can get a decent amout of inbound links.

...oh, and traffic.

blackbug, Mar 6, 2006 IP
  2. chiefshuddle

chiefshuddle Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah, you also get the benefit of some folks blogging it when it makes the front page.

chiefshuddle, Mar 6, 2006 IP
  3. kniveswood

kniveswood Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    kniveswood, Mar 6, 2006 IP
  4. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    How many votes do you need to get on the front page of digg? Is it 50? I was just thinking about maybe a little group of people digging each others sites. Then digg a different page every week or so.

mightyb, Mar 6, 2006 IP
  5. kniveswood

kniveswood Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It depends. The lowest I've seen is 20ish diggs, whereas the highest is probably around 40+. The low ones are mostly stories that are extremely hot and got those diggs within an hour or two.

kniveswood, Mar 6, 2006 IP
  6. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    Im sure we can arrange a date/time when you come on DP for a quick digg in order to get to the front page with fewer votes. Hmmm...

mightyb, Mar 6, 2006 IP
  7. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    Arranging such a thing in public would be foolhardy if you ask me.

blackbug, Mar 6, 2006 IP
  8. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys, it's on the homepage now.

Let's see this forum crumble :D

Don't think Shawn will even notice the spike!

Mission accomplished (and DP forums won't load for me anymore...)

T0PS3O, Mar 6, 2006 IP
  9. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    Well yea, obviously if i was to do it would be somewhere a bit more private.

mightyb, Mar 6, 2006 IP
  10. SonicReducer

SonicReducer Peon

Best Answers:
    There is a failry complex algorithm that they use to see what hits the front page. It depends on the rate of the diggs, the age of the post, the comment activity, the current traffic trend on the site, the category it was posted in and so on.... There are optimal times of the day to post as well :)

SonicReducer, Mar 6, 2006 IP
  11. chiefshuddle

chiefshuddle Banned

Best Answers:
    Also the person's ranking that diggs it as well. There are certain people that can digg a story and it will immediately go to the front page because of their credibility with the site.

chiefshuddle, Mar 6, 2006 IP
  12. YIAM

YIAM Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I will try?

YIAM, Mar 6, 2006 IP
  13. DuncanM

DuncanM Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Shoutwire is another DIGG-like site too.

I suspect groups like that already exist (either a Yahoo!, MSN, or some other group), because it seems like DIGG is posting a lot of lame stories lately. I visit DIGG daily and, perhaps it is just me, but in the past several weeks, some really useless articles have made it to the front page: Javascript simulations of bouncing balls, funny stories about this or that--but don't provide any useful information or concrete utility to the reader. I might take a look at some of these stories but, afterwards, I am left wondering, "what did I learn?", "Did I gain information that makes me a better person or a better coder?", "What, exactly, did I get from that article?" Lately, the answer is quite often: NOTHING. I also tend to find myself wondering, "How on Earth did these stories make it on to the front page of DIGG?" Submitters of these stories must be part of some group that diggs each other's submissions, but they are ruining the credibility of DIGG in the process.

DuncanM, Mar 6, 2006 IP
  14. alexplank

alexplank Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never suffered/benifited from the digg effect. I did get slashdotted once and I suspect that gets more traffic. It's hard to get a story dugg, however.

alexplank, Mar 6, 2006 IP
  15. chiefshuddle

chiefshuddle Banned

Best Answers:
    Members from my site submit stories from there from time to time. The part that I find funny is that the complex stories that I think would do well on digg do not but the beginner type stuff and overviews of technology are the things that will do well. Its completely backwards from what I would think you would get as far as response from a technology site.

chiefshuddle, Mar 7, 2006 IP
  16. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    If you want to compete though, you are going to need to review your diggs quickly. I submitted one to try it out and 24 hours later, it still hasn't been touched.

Directories can get away with taking a week to review submissions but Digg type sites are all about getting time relevant material out there (not that mine is but a lot will be)

If a submission is accepted then displayed with an old time stamp it will give the wrong impression.

yfs1, Mar 7, 2006 IP
  17. Skinny

Skinny Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd have to agree. There are appropriate times to submit a story. I've been on the front page of digg, but have definitely been shoutwired.

I was even linked from lifehacker.com. And had only been running the site for a month.

It has been mentioned but the great thing is when you've been dugg or shouted or whatever, other people will blog about your post and link to it. If they have decent traffic, you will still receive a decent amount even after you're on the hompage.

Skinny

Skinny, Mar 7, 2006 IP
  18. yfs1

Best Answers:
    I actually gave up on Shoutwire as their lack of professionalism killed me. I had a few shouts that were extremely popular, one of which was about another forum (all factual and in my opinion highly relevant). They deleted all of them after a complaint :cool:

They also deleted any mention in other peoples shouts. As soon as I see backhanded stuff like that, there is no way I can support it

yfs1, Mar 7, 2006 IP
  19. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    You were looking in the wrong section. All new submissions appear straight away. There are queued stories that need to get x amount of votes in order to get to the main "published stories" section. I assume you are here http://blogreporter.biz/shakeit.php untill you get x number of votes.

mightyb, Mar 7, 2006 IP
  20. yfs1

Best Answers:
    So people need to go to "Vote for Stories" in order to see the submitted story. ie. there are two sets of navigation?

yfs1, Mar 7, 2006 IP