1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Dangers of Fiverr

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by F360NZ, Dec 20, 2011.

Hi all,

Thought I would share a amateur mistake I made to prevent others from doing it.

I used Fiverr to get a person to create 100 Backlinks to my website. Well I was #3 for this keyword, now I am no where to be seen. Traffic dropped 70% overnight.

This was 3 weeks ago, hopefully I bounce back soon.

Cheers,

F360NZ, Dec 20, 2011 IP
  2. lunknown

lunknown Peon

Best Answers:
    experienced the same, was on page 2.. then went to page 10. don't worry i recovered about a week or so later. you will slowly move back up one page at a time. i hope its not permenant penality

lunknown, Dec 20, 2011 IP
  3. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You're mistake is not related to fiverr, its taking the quick and easy way out of things when there really isn't one in the first place. Not withstanding the fact "what did you expect to happen" Imagine a world in which the seo services provided on DP in the services section actually worked. The entire world would be done for.

N.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
    Nigel Lew, Dec 20, 2011 IP
  4. ezbnc

ezbnc Peon

Best Answers:
    Shortcuts are not the way to go slow and steady seo is best.

ezbnc, Dec 20, 2011 IP
  5. iComEric

iComEric Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Ha Ha thats a good one

iComEric, Dec 20, 2011 IP
  6. mhovingh

mhovingh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should be very careful with who you hire to do backlink building. Everyone should do some backlink building themselves and study how to do it right so they know what to look for. Use that experience and knowledge to ask the right questions of the person you are thinking of hiring. There are far too many people offering "SEO" services where they push a button and a piece of software goes out and posts your link to xxx number of locations (typically trash directories) without regard for whether or not it will hurt you.

If you are going to have someone else do your SEO, make sure you know SEO first and then do your homework and make sure they will give you an in-depth explanation of what they will be doing. If they give you some crap like "I can't tell you because I don't want to give up my secrets", a general rule is run, don't walk, away.

mhovingh, Dec 20, 2011 IP
  7. Matt_Baker

Matt_Baker Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you saying that the person on Fiverr is the reason why your site was gone on the #3 ranking? I don't think so

Matt_Baker, Dec 20, 2011 IP
  8. rosesmark

rosesmark Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think so Fiver responsible for that

rosesmark, Dec 21, 2011 IP
  9. algomez

algomez Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you show to us your website?

Do you have google webmaster account that will provides you with detailed reports about your pages' visibility on Google.

algomez, Dec 21, 2011 IP
  10. millbey

millbey Peon

Best Answers:
    The situation you described is too common. Because most of them who offer those typical SEO service, use customized software, which is completely blackhat. So it is quite natural that your website ranking was affected badly because of that service.

Just one advice; use some common sense of yours before choosing those gigs. Because ultimately the seller is getting $3.92!

millbey, Dec 21, 2011 IP
  11. Wulkanen

Wulkanen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I only have bad experiences from Fiverr...
    It somehow seems like you can be a huge success there by offering crap things.

I once bought an offer from someone who said he'd create "100 'quality backlinks' from 'high PR' websites"....
    The guy had over 1200 positive reviews and not a single negetive one, so I thought the offer was legit.
    Little did I know that just 9 out of those 100 websites worked, none of them had any PR and all of them were spammed to death.

I mean, how can someone give a positive review for such a bullsh*t gig I thought?
    Then I got the answer, he simply deleted my review instantly after I posted it...

Wulkanen, Dec 21, 2011 IP
  12. baban78

baban78 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    with the way Google is dancing it is hard to say whether those 100 backlinks where responsible for your downfall; maybe the backlinks where very low quality. But is hard to believe that 100 backlinks would affect your ranking; bad backlinks are being ignored and only valuable backlinks are taken into consideration.

baban78, Dec 21, 2011 IP
  13. digitalwebman06

digitalwebman06 Active Member

Best Answers:
    actually it happens when new back links are created and Google start indexing them. after indexing all of them Google will bounce back your position.
    thanks

digitalwebman06, Dec 21, 2011 IP
  14. Anaskingston2

Anaskingston2 Peon

Best Answers:
    imgigz is new dangerous place like feverr

Anaskingston2, Dec 21, 2011 IP
  15. Rysk100

Rysk100 Peon

Best Answers:
    You've got to be careful on Fiverr - not the place for link building

Rysk100, Dec 21, 2011 IP
  16. BeyondDriven

BeyondDriven Peon

Best Answers:
    The thing to remember is, if were that easy to drop someone from the search engines, then everyone would just point a fiverr gig at their competition.

BeyondDriven, Dec 21, 2011 IP
  17. BCRed

BCRed Active Member

Best Answers:
    100 links shouldn't be enough to get your site penalized, even if they are all done at once. Probably a coincidence. That said, Fiverr has some pretty terrible link sellers on it. You kind of get what you pay for

BCRed, Dec 21, 2011 IP
  18. jimmyperkins35

jimmyperkins35 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes I agree. Most of Fiver people use black hat tactics which can trigger search engine flags and results in ranking penalty. To build 100 good backlinks, right SEO people take anywhere between $200-$500 and you get it in $5. There would be something different between them.

jimmyperkins35, Dec 21, 2011 IP
  19. CherryV

CherryV Active Member

Best Answers:
    I see the same thing happen over and over on Fivver gigs...

Its not that the services are bad on Fivver, we use fivver for many thing in our company, but you do have to know what to do and what not to do!

First of all...NEVER point any links at your website with a fivver gig...you are just asking for trouble! You can however point it at your web2.0 properties and then its a great deal!

You can use fivver to create and submit videos which is also a good deal on fivver...and again you can use fivver gigs to link to the video...Squidoo...the list goes on..

Its just when people try to blast their money site with crap $5 links that they get in trouble.

CherryV, Dec 22, 2011 IP
  20. Numha

Numha Peon

Best Answers:
    Fiverr backlinking services are often pretty good when pointing to outer layers instead of your main site.

Numha, Dec 22, 2011 IP