1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Coding Structure of Craigslist Flagging

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by llamapack, Jul 29, 2009.

Hello, I am interested in what people know about the craigslist flagging system. For those who don't know about it, the craigslist flagging system is used to create a "democratic" monitoring system for the site; thus making it largely manageable by the community in which it resides. I've used craigslist for a long time and know the ins and outs of Ghosting/Banning, but one thing I have not mastered is understanding the flagging system.

Here's a snippet of the code from the <div> of the righthand flagger:
    		<div id="flagChooser">
    			<br>
    			<a class="fl" id="flag16" href="/flag/?flagCode=16&amp;postingID=1293966876"
    				title="Wrong category, wrong site, discusses another post, or otherwise misplaced">
    				miscategorized</a>
    			<a class="fl" id="flag28" href="/flag/?flagCode=28&amp;postingID=1293966876"
    				title="Violates craigslist Terms Of Use or other posted guidelines">
    				prohibited</a>
    			<a class="fl" id="flag15" href="/flag/?flagCode=15&amp;postingID=1293966876"
    				title="Posted too frequently, in multiple cities/categories, or is too commercial">
    				spam/overpost</a>
    			<a class="fl" id="flag9" href="/flag/?flagCode=9&amp;postingID=1293966876"
    				title="Should be considered for inclusion in the Best-Of-Craigslist">
    				best of craigslist</a>
    		</div>
    Code (markup):
    Notice the flag Id's associated with each flag:
    flag16 - miscategorized
    flag28 - prohibited
    flag15 - spam/overpost
    flag9 - best of craigslist

There is also another flag id to notify the poster (only appears if they do not include an email address to reply to):

flag30 - notify the seller

When you click any of the given flags, it will take you to the next page with the url:

http://*city*.craigslist.org/flag/?flagCode=28&postingID=*id of posting*

(If you try url hacking and put ?flagCode=90 or whatever, the post is not immediately taken down. So they probably prohibit flagCode > 30?)

So here's my take. Add (or subtract) from a starting point, for example 0 or 100 respectively, and once it reaches that threshold a certain action will be taken. These numbers are fairly unique, thus it is possibly able to distinguish between what is flagged as "best of" and what is flagged as "prohibited". Also, such a system would explain why "best of" would need to have a greater number of users to vote for it, whereas "prohibited"/"contact the poster" would need less since these need to be dealt with more promptly.

I've also heard that once an ad has been flagged off the ip/email/website/ad text requiers less flags in order to be taken down any subsequent occasions.

Anyways, what are yall's opinions?

llamapack, Jul 29, 2009 IP
  2. nnn2076

nnn2076 Peon

Best Answers:
    So how do you avoid flagging on craigslist? You mentioned to hack the URL, how do you do it specifically?
    Thanks

nnn2076, Oct 18, 2012 IP