1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The biggest problem with DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Mia, Jun 18, 2005.

The biggest problem with DMOZ is not the long listing times. Its the odd and at times arrogant behavior of the editors.

I am gonna assume for a moment that they are not all jerks. But when you assume; well you know.

Here is a nice lovely little comment I received accompanied by some negative rep for this post: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=206804#post206804

So perhaps I was harsh in post? I know I am speaking out of school. I have not been lowered to the level of the stereo typical power monger, megalomanic DMOZ editor.

I guess in closing my biggest complaint about DMOZ is not really the listing delays or total lack of organization. It's more about the bizarre little people who actually edit categories. (Again, I am not talking about all of them, because as I said before I take the "assumption" that they are not all jerks.)

What is truly amazing is that many DMOZ editors have plenty of time to personally insult people, both on and off forums (their own forums at that), as well as on a forum is NOT DMOZ.

No time to do their work that they signed up for, but plenty of time to insult others who question why it takes so long for someone to be approved, or at the very least simply notified of a yeah, or nay in the process.

Mia, Jun 18, 2005 IP
    minstrel and Will.Spencer like this.
  2. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    Maybe a bit off-topic, but how does reputation exactly work? At what reputation value do you get 2 blocks? And how much negative you need to get it red?

About DMOZ... Well if you just own 1 website, you might have the chance to wait 6 months. If you do SEO for clients, 1 month is max. After 3 months you have to show if you were succesful or not. Clients dont buy shit like: "I send your website to a bunch of vontuleers, they vontuleer and get 1000s of suggestions a day, so maybe you get listed in a year or so".

Dirkjan, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  3. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    The perfect way to get into DMOZ:

1- Be an editor, you can then add all your sites and wipe out the ones you don't like or are good competitors

2- Pay an editor to include your site

Or... you can do what the average webmaster does: submit your site, and wait for the rest of eternity and maybe one day, when pigs fly, you will see your site finally listed.

fryman, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  4. Roze

Roze Guest

Best Answers:
    Wow - my category must have a good editor because I was in DMOZ within a month of requesting inclusion. Of course, it's a tiny category. Arts/Music/Instruments/Winds/Brass/Tuba_Euphonium_Baritone_Horn/Tuba

Without knowing the possible danger of this, I noticed that the category one level up had a better inclusion in those DMOZ clone sites and had a higher PR so I later requested to be moved up one category to Tuba_Euphonium_Baritone_Horn and they did it within a few weeks!

Yet my category still says it needs an editor. Maybe the "Brass" guy a few steps up is very on top of things.

It is so tempting to apply for editorship. I would never wipe other active sites out of my category, but there are a few that have gone more then 4 years without an update and over 50% of their links are broken, yet they're holding firm their SERPS positions above my site that has fresh new spiderable content daily. It would be tempting - and my category is SMALL STAKES. I'm mostly in t his for fun and future small profit. I cant imagine the editor temptation in the big money categories.

Roze, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  5. xboxundone

xboxundone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i choose the last method. :) it has worked as long as i don't mind waiting....

xboxundone, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  6. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If you're content to wait a long time, DMOZ will not disappoint you :rolleyes:

minstrel, Jun 20, 2005 IP
  7. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    Besides, you could always leave your application for DMOZ listing in your will for your descendants

egdcltd, Jun 22, 2005 IP