1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Big Digitalpoint / eBay / FBI thread - all discussions happen here

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by brue.wayne, Jul 30, 2010.

Source: http://www.revenews.com/kelliestevens/affiliates-indicted-for-cookie-stuffing/

It seems we all were cookie stuffed...

brue.wayne, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  2. Abbadox

Abbadox Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the amount is 15.5 million not billion.

Abbadox, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  3. ramdom

ramdom Member

Best Answers:
    "Nearly 2 years ago, you may remember an post by Nickycakes detailing the Digital Point cookie stuffing scandal [allegedly] perpetrated by Shawn Hogan, owner of Digital Point forums and his partner. You can view the post here (from Sept 2008). Nickycakes details exactly how they were [allegedly] doing it etc.

Well, fast forward to this year and Shawn Hogan and his buddy Brian Dunning have both been Indicted after a lengthy FBI investigation. They’ve been charged with over 15 counts of wire fraud and criminal forfeiture. They’ve been released on $100,000 bonds and had to give up their passports, which is sad for them because they have made literally millions of rich success guy webmaster in India who would be glad to offer them safe haven if they were able to flee the country.

The charges for each of them carry max sentences of 20 years and and $250,000 or twice the gross gain/loss. How much was the gross gain? Uhh… over $20,000,000 according to the court docs. So, yeah, maximum fine of $40,000,000, just for the criminal case. This is in addition to the civil suit Ebay has going with them, and as we all learned from the OJ trial, even if they don’t stick you with the criminal trial, the civil suit will get you for millions anyway.

Some specifics taken from revenews.com:

* Between 2006 and June 2007, Shawn Hogan (Digital Point Solutions) earned approximately $15.5 million in commissions from eBay. Hogan was eBay’s number one affiliate.
    * Between 2006 and June 2007, Dunning (Kessler’s Flying Circus) earned approximately $5.3 million in commissions from eBay. Dunning was eBay’s number two affiliate.
    * Hogan and Dunning are accused of generating hidden forced clicks on both their own web sites as well as sites not connected with the defendants in order to increase the number of computers storing the eBay affiliate tracking cookie.
    * The legal criteria for wire fraud was established not on money (commissions) being transferred over the wires, but because of transmission of the tracking cookie between states and internationally.
    * The affiliates attempted to hide the activity from eBay and CJ by not engaging in the cookie stuffing on computers located in San Jose (eBay headquarters) or Santa Barbara (CJ’s headquarters). This is geo-targeting and is readily known to be used by affiliates engaging in questionable activity. Of course, not all geo-targeting activity in nefarious.
    * Both Hogan (2005) and Dunning (2006) denied any cookie stuffing behavior when questioned by CJ.
    * Each individual wire fraud account is related to a particular incident on an IP address outside California (location of eBay servers) where an affiliate cookie for the defendants was set.

That’s over 20mil in fraud cookie stuffing commissions, kids.

Anndddd we have court docs:

* Shawn Hogan Criminal Case
    * Brian Dunning Criminal Case
    * Ebay vs Digital Point Peeps Civil Suit

Does this spell the end for Digital Point, the worst internet marketing forum to ever have existed? We can all only hope….well…maybe not all of us:

retard."

Source: http://www.nickycakes.com/digital-point-owners-indicted-out-on-100k-bail/

ramdom, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  4. DP Most

DP Most Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lol nice information....

DP Most, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  5. looking4vps

looking4vps Peon

Best Answers:
    As I always say with things like this let all the facts out and let both sides tell there story.

looking4vps, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  6. alien

alien Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
    alien, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  7. troubleshooter27

troubleshooter27 Peon

Best Answers:
    Dp Should go for a co-operation or help from any big website.

troubleshooter27, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  8. thewealthywiseman

thewealthywiseman Peon

Best Answers:
    The feds have an astonishing conviction rate... unlimited resources.

thewealthywiseman, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  9. Serious Workers

Serious Workers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can anyone say what is the status of the case?

Serious Workers, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  10. ChrisMiller

ChrisMiller Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    sigh.... :( All you can do is wish shawn luck and hopefully he finds a suitable person to take over the forum, if worse comes to worse.

ChrisMiller, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  11. Ausdrez

Ausdrez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know whether this is something to take serious. If it is, then why isn't anybody else is thinking about it also, is out of my mind.

All I seem to know is that the Founder, Owner and Administrator of this forum, "Shawn Hogan" was found engaging in some kind of wire fraud and was investigated by FBI. The other parties were EBay and CJ. Shawn and other ones have been charged with over 15 counts of wire fraud and criminal forfeiture. They’ve been released on $100,000 bonds and had to give up their passports. Pardon my ignorance or correct me in any ways if I am wrong. I got all this information from these links:

DP Owners Facing 40Million in fines + 20Years in Prison
    DP Owner Fined $15.5 Billion for Fraud with eBay!
    Digital Point Owners Indicted – Out on 100k Bail
    Shawn Hogan Criminal Case
    Brian Dunning Criminal Case
    Ebay vs Digital Point Peeps Civil Suit

Though what disturbs me, that does it lead to impose any negative impact or threat Digital Point (such as closing)? As the fraud was related to Digital Point website. If it does, why we are seeing replies such as "lolz" in those threads? Were those just havoc and there is really nothing to worry about?

Whatever the case is, I feel like politely suggesting that shawn should come here and make things clear. Atleast for the sake of numerous (or just mine?) raised heartbeats.

Ausdrez, Jul 31, 2010 IP
  12. keryo

keryo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's a joke ... lol

keryo, Jul 31, 2010 IP
  13. Stroh

Stroh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It'll be a matter of time when the forums will point to an FBI warning page. Or at least I'm pretty sure the forums are where Shawn was accused of cookie stuffing at.

Stroh, Jul 31, 2010 IP
  14. Refresher

Refresher Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's still not over? I remember people talking about it last year or so... Or is the OP bringing it up again? :confused:

Refresher, Jul 31, 2010 IP
  15. TG2006

TG2006 Guest

Best Answers:
    and we get banned for minor things LOL How ironic.

TG2006, Jul 31, 2010 IP
  16. RightMan

RightMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I guess it is the same old case... being brought up again and again. I really wonder... if the final judgment has indeed been delivered, as claimed! :confused:

Regards,

RightMan

RightMan, Jul 31, 2010 IP
  17. TG2006

TG2006 Guest

Best Answers:
    Wait... have I got this right?

People are routinely banned for breaking the rules here....yet there's Shawn stealing millions - breaking Ebay's rules.

It's a funny old world lol

TG2006, Jul 31, 2010 IP
  18. Mega B

Mega B Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The 'alleged' revenue sums are rather substantial and it will be interesting to see what the out come is,when you have the top departments investigating they must have latched onto something.But everyone is innocent and these are only alligations till judgement day.

Mega B, Jul 31, 2010 IP
  19. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Threads merged so some answers might seem a bit out.

That was in response to the previous and rather ridiculous thread title by someone who hadn't actually read anything properly and said Shawn had been fined, yadda, yadda.

At this stage, the matter has still to go to trial so there are no fines, no convictions, etc. and the people named in the lawsuits are innocent until this is confirmed or proven otherwise.

mcfox, Jul 31, 2010 IP
  20. Serious Workers

Serious Workers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Serious Workers, Jul 31, 2010 IP