1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The best website builder

Discussion in 'Websites' started by smoth2015, Oct 30, 2015.

1. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    While I'm not a very big WP-fan, I can totally understand those who need a basic site setting up something like that to have a presence online. I use WP myself from time to time if I have clients on a small budget, who only wants a few pages, or someone asking me to set up a charity site or something for free. Why do I use WP? Because I can set it up, put the content in, and be done in a couple hours. That includes setting up the site, putting in plugins for security and other needed stuff, and I rarely have to do anything apart from edit some options-pages. And the pages work, mostly without hassle. Especially nice if you want stuff like integrated payment options and the like (PayPal, or similar) - instead of spending a few hours messing with the APIs, you can plug in the plugin, and be done. It works well for such projects.

I would probably never use it for anything complicated, or heavy, but for small businesses, or organisations without any IT/coding-knowledge, it's easy to use, and can be tuned relatively simply to produce semi-workable sites for a plethora of user-agents and users.

PoPSiCLe, Dec 4, 2015 IP
    Webcenter likes this.
  2. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I DON'T spend most of my time in front of a computer. I AM a small business (a ONE man operation) that uses the computer to bring me customers and to sell the customers the correct item the first time. I have tried using various website builders. NONE OF THEM WERE WORTH THE POWDER TO BLOW THEM APART. I spent much time, often HOURS per page, trying to make the pages work. A small business DOES NOT HAVE TIME TO WASTE CONSTANTLY FIXING CRAP! That is on the order of thinking that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

So, I learned how to code. Now I spend MINUTES per page. And when something does not work, I can find the problem in MINUTES and PERMANENTLY fix it in MINUTES. That leaves me HOURS per day to do what brings in the bacon - SELL MY PRODUCTS - instead of spending HOURS per day fixing the UNFIXABLE.

When I was using CRAP, I would spend hours per day just trying to keep a FEW PAGES current. I don't remember the maximum number of pages then, but it was around 20 or so pages consuming HALF of my workweek. Today, I maintain a self-coded constantly expanding website of over NINE THOUSAND (9,000) pages in MINUTES per day. That is TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE WITH TURDPRESS OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE CRAPPER.

Is my website sleek, modern, and cute? No f***ing way. My users care ONLY about my CONTENT, not about how cute the site looks. All they want is to fix their problems with the least amount of hassle. They come to my site with only ONE goal in mind, FIND THE PART THEY NEED SO THEY CAN GET THEIR VEHICLE BACK ON THE ROAD.

So, don't give me any bullshit about small businesses not having the time to learn how to code. Small businesses CANNOT afford NOT to learn how to code. Learn to code, and SPEND THE TIME YOU SAVE WITH YOUR FAMILY OR BY DOING SOME OTHER WORTHWHILE ENDEAVOR.

mmerlinn, Dec 4, 2015 IP
    COBOLdinosaur likes this.
  3. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:

Then you lack the time management skills that are an essential part of running a successful business. I don't just build websites from scratch. I built a business that provides 40 professions with 100K+ incomes. I managed to build that business because I learned skills other than just programming. I learned how to manage finances; negotiate contracts; write bids and proposals; recruiting and hiring talented people.... and on and on.

If you run a business then you need to be able to acquire the skills you need or hire people to do what is beyond your capabilities. I have a lawyer, because acquire the skills is out of scope for me. If doing a web site is out of scope for you then hacking out a load of trash with a junk generator is not going to help your business, and is going to cost you time, frustration, reputation.

If your business NEEDS a website then you have two options Learn how to build it yourself, or hire a professional web developer; using crapware is not a viable option. If your business does not NEED a website but you think it would be cool anyway; then quit wasting time screwing around in the latrine and get back to work; until you actually NEED a website.

COBOLdinosaur, Dec 5, 2015 IP
    deathshadow and mmerlinn like this.
  4. Tanya83

Tanya83 Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you try WYSIWYG Website Builder. I have read about it http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alex-ivanovs/wysiwyg-website-builders_b_8814882.html. It seems good for the small projects.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    Tanya83, Jan 17, 2016 IP
  5. jgarrettsmith

jgarrettsmith Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You seem knowledgable.
    I have a question in regards to sites that use AJAX - Wix

My client is running a promotion that advertises a URL to go to in order to receive the promotion. The promotion page has not been built yet. This typically wouldn't be problem, but the website is built on Wix. So, the URL that is used during the promotion contains no special characters. However, Wix subpages use "#" and "!" in the URLs.

How would I go about creating the promotional page on Wix and have the URL used in the advertising take people to this page?

THank you,

jgarrettsmith, Mar 10, 2016 IP
  6. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you are working with something as restrictive and limiting as WIX then you should not expect to have flexibility and a lot of access to the admin level tools to do real site management. WIX is designed to provide users with the fantasy that the mediocre cookie cutter site they have is a real site. Unless you have something very special an unique the site will probably ot do well against competing sites that built with professional level tools. No matter what customization you think you have done, you will end up with a site that is just like thousands of others and you do not control it; WIX does.

COBOLdinosaur, Mar 11, 2016 IP