1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The best programming Language to Learn?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by gyahoo, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Torafox

Torafox Peon

Best Answers:
    not all of those can even be called programming languages - MS SQL is a software tool, and Javascript is, as its name says, a script and not a real language. for a real CS education, C/C++ or Java are good choices. however, if you later want to work on the web, PHP/MySQL is much more helpful.

Torafox, Jul 29, 2011 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    The only difference between other languages and a scripting language is the scripting language is not compiled. Otherwise, there is no difference and javascript is very much a programming language.

drhowarddrfine, Jul 29, 2011 IP
  3. Torafox

Torafox Peon

Best Answers:
    that's not the only difference in this case. Javascript has numerous deficiencies compared to full-scale languages like Java. in particular, it has very poor error/exception handling and debugging it is a pain, which makes developing anything large with it rather a bad idea. moreover, its implementations can be buggy and unstable. it lacks decent libraries for doing even semi-complex tasks (although with the advent of jQuery this has been somewhat mitigated). anyhow, in short - it's not a language for doing any serious standalone projects. its best used on the client side of AJAX - not to say that it isn't important - but beginners should certainly not begin learning with JScript.

Torafox, Jul 29, 2011 IP
  4. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    None of that nullifies the fact that JavaScript is a real programming language.
    You'll find that to be less and less true as time goes on. In fact, I question whether that is true at all even today.
    Don't be confused. JScript is Microsoft's implementation of JavaScript and it works only on Windows and in IE. It does not work the same as JavaScript.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
    drhowarddrfine, Jul 29, 2011 IP
  5. mikepua

mikepua Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been working for more than three years in the IT industry - Software Engineering to be specific.
    Almost all of our projects are done in Java.

You can try surveying about the opportunities in your place :)

mikepua, Jul 29, 2011 IP
  6. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What's this bullshit? Of course Javascript is a "real" programming language. Like DrHoward said, it's just interpreted instead of compiled.

Using the word "AJAX" is so annoying... it's Javascript, dammit, just with http request capabilities, which is now a core tenet so it's nothing new.

What's with the love of Java? C# is superior (within Windows) if you're going to go down that path.

BRUm, Aug 3, 2011 IP
  7. cute-sherry

cute-sherry Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to join programming side you must learn first c and c++ it give you the basics of programming then next your choice like PHP,ASP.NET or any other language.
    Thank you.

cute-sherry, Aug 9, 2011 IP
  8. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure whether I agree you should first learn C/C++, they're hard languages. While it may help in the long run it won't give confidence to new programmers. I'd recommend something flexible and forgiving like PHP.

BRUm, Aug 9, 2011 IP
  9. k4sper

k4sper Peon

Best Answers:
    this is what I did. Started with PHP and when I understood what whole programming is about changed my focus to C++.

k4sper, Aug 9, 2011 IP
  10. igloodesigns

igloodesigns Member

Best Answers:
    For web development, learn HTML, CSS, PHP, and Javascript... then possibly Flash. (haha)

igloodesigns, Aug 13, 2011 IP
  11. vjmit

vjmit Peon

Best Answers:
    if you want to earn with your language knowledge, now, better to learn the Objective C for creation IPhone/IPad applications

vjmit, Aug 14, 2011 IP
  12. alexpena

alexpena Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the best ones there is number #1 and #5. I would go for #5 PHP and MySQL

alexpena, Aug 14, 2011 IP
  13. Inphex

Inphex Peon

Best Answers:
    This is what I was thinking. PHP is a strong option, and I'm also interested in learning about it more so PHP seemed to stand out quite a bit to me.

Inphex, Aug 15, 2011 IP
  14. jaimegm

jaimegm Member

Best Answers:
    It depends of your objectives, What is what you want to do? I mean if you want to make money programming C,C++ and Java are definitely your best options, if you want to make webpages javascript, VB Java and PHP.
    If you are just starting and learning to make programs javascript or C will give you a good foundation.

jaimegm, Aug 15, 2011 IP
  15. IM SEO Services

IM SEO Services Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    if you like to build anything electronic, program microchips, logic levels, design prototypes, program anything to work usb or even wireless. then go for C.
    If you can master C, then everything else will be alot easier. im not saying easy, but easier to learn and understand the logic program.

If you can program a microchip then im pretty sure you can handle other programming languages.

IM SEO Services, Aug 15, 2011 IP
  16. RMCService

RMCService Active Member

Best Answers:
    It depends a lot on what are your goals. If you want to be a programmer web oriented, you should learn Javascript and/or PHP MySQL, they're vital for your programming knowledge if you want to operate on the web.
    I don't know you but if you don't know them already, you should add to your knowledge even markup languages as XHTML and CSS.

RMCService, Aug 16, 2011 IP
  17. passingTime

passingTime Peon

Best Answers:
    Definitely go for C. If you get the hang of C then everything else on the list will become very easy for you to learn after.

passingTime, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  18. etc

etc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    learning python and bash scripting is i think a lot better.

etc, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  19. vampiro

vampiro Peon

Best Answers:
    For me, there is no exact answers because every type of programming language listed has its own features that can outwit the others. Your mastery can also matter. You can do PHP-like attributes using other version if you have excellent mastery on it. Each also has its own specific use...

But based on experience, i love PHP.

vampiro, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  20. techntuts

techntuts Member

Best Answers:
    C++ and java make you a good software engineer but i like php and mysql along with javascript/ajax.

techntuts, Aug 17, 2011 IP