1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The best place to put Adsense Ads in Forums..

Discussion in 'Placement / Reviews / Examples' started by Abhik, Sep 10, 2006.

hello,
    I am using IPB for my forum and I put two ad unit in each page.
    One of them is just under member bar and the other one is in footer. I place them globally for a skin so that it cover all the pages.

Do you guys have any more IDEA??

Abhik, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  2. alemcherry

alemcherry Guest

Best Answers:
    Best postion for content pages: Immediately after the first post. Make it a part fo the post itself, within the biox.
    best postion for threads list page: Before the first thread. For better result, make it look like a thread itself!

These postion increased my CTR 5 times(still a low 1%) with just one ad per page.

alemcherry, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  3. Xitanto

Xitanto Peon

Best Answers:
    Never put your ads in the footer. Try to integrate them into posts if you can, as close and as best blended to the text of the post as possible. Don't make the ads obvious, and don't put them in a place where you would expect ads to be.

Xitanto, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  4. master06

master06 Peon

Best Answers:
    inline message is best way for me. after first message shown very good for user and visitors.

master06, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  5. Guo Hong

Guo Hong Active Member

Best Answers:
    Most of the time, people will know that you purposely place it there because it is ads.. At least this is what I feel.

Guo Hong, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  6. Allen

Allen Peon

Best Answers:
    As of my experience...

Home Page:
    - inside the forums, acting as one of those, possibly at the top, but not the 1st one
    - near navigation bar, billboard ad with titles in the same or similar color as the navlinks works great

threads list:
    - ad acting as one of the threads, which is placed in first 10 normal threads (depends on how many threads in the forum are usually marked as 'have new posts')
    - billboard ad at the top of the page don't work well

Viewing thread:
    - After 1st or 3rd post (AFAIK, only phpBB has got a modification allowing admin to set ad after X post or every X posts)
    - Right after the last post, (very irritating, believe me, unless having my CRT 15-20%, I had to stop showing them - they had irritated my forum members a lot)
    - Just before the Quick Reply

All pages: ads at the bottom, they s.... rather than work ;)

Quick Tip: Each page has its reason of existance, some ads just won't work with specific webpages.

Allen, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  7. Abhik

Abhik ..:: The ONE ::..

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    thanx for the advise..
    i tried AdSense after first post, but had to take them of just becos of member requests, they were irritetting.
    its a wise Idea to put ads before quick reply, will give it a try

Abhik, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  8. Crazy4Bass

Crazy4Bass Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First the members need to understand that in order to exist the forum must have funds and few of us are well off enough to fund large forums for any length of time. They also need to understand that the more popular a forum becomes the more resources it requires to maintain. If your members are complaining about your ads then there is one of two things wrong. (a). your ad integration is a problem or (b). your allowing your members to take advantage of you. Possibly a little bit of both.

I've changed my ads around many times, I've had ads that have caused complaints, I just reworked them but hands down, the two best positions are leaderboard at the top of the page and leader board after the first post. Lots of people may think the ad after the first post is annoying but it can be styled so it's not. I think mine are pretty much identical to how they are on DP now and I never get complaints about them. Occassionaly I'll change them for a week or so but always seem to end up coming back to how they are now.

It also helps offering them an option to get rid of the ads. I do a donation thing, but on the rare occassion someone complains, I just drop them into a special group that removes the ads or you can do it based on forum activity. Worst case, you could always just drop the ads for registered users. But unregistered members have no say in the forum, if they want to be a part they need to join and be a part, otherwise they're just traffic and subject to the ads.

Crazy4Bass, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  9. Allen

Allen Peon

Best Answers:
    That's true, but when you try integrating advert in a table looking just like the last post in the thread, with all the stuff such as avatar, nickname, date of registration, location, etc. and in its content you place ad sized at 336x300px - that can irritate a lot :D

The thing is to learn members that advertising on your forums is needed and make them like your ads. After all, I still have long way to go, yet, members don't encourage each other to click the ads (in general, not Adsense).

Basically, listen to your members, forums visitors, ask them what kind of ads they would prefer to see. I found out, that static, text ads inside the content are accepted by my members and I do advertising this way.

Knowing that advertinsing in search engines is growing rapidly, why not integrate your ads inside the Seach Function of your forums and make them work like the sponsored links inside the Google seach results page? Just a thought...

Allen, Sep 11, 2006 IP
  10. Scriptona

Scriptona Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Guys, in IPB 2.1.7

1- how can i put Adsense after the first post in new topics ?

2- i saw i a forum something called "Adsense Bot" and it's a member and it's an auto post that is posted after the first post with Adsense ads - where to get that script/hack ?

Thanks in advance

Scriptona, Sep 16, 2006 IP
  11. Computerized

Computerized Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Go to invisionize.com and go to their downloads section and IPB mods section. You should find what you're looking for there.

Computerized, Sep 17, 2006 IP
  12. Scriptona

Scriptona Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Scriptona, Sep 17, 2006 IP
  13. CBT

CBT Guest

Best Answers:
    Ok here my case:
    [​IMG]

And my CTR is even less than 0.10%...

Any help?

CBT, Sep 17, 2006 IP
  14. rosiee007

rosiee007 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why do you put only 2 text ad units? You should try and put the max you are allowed, 3 text ad units and 1 link unit. And you can also put up to 2 Google Search boxes. Forums already get a very low CTR. You should maximize the adsense units in the pages to increase the revenue from them and improve CTR.

rosiee007, Sep 17, 2006 IP
  15. CBT

CBT Guest

Best Answers:
    i got 3rd text ad unit in footer but the screen wouldn;t be enough to show it all.

My forum got 15k user and its gameing forum also i getaverage of 35k impression per day

CBT, Sep 17, 2006 IP
  16. Computerized

Computerized Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How many clicks on average do you receive in one day from that forum? Based on what the ads say, you're either running a WoW forum or some MMORPG-based forum, correct? If not, then you've got the wrong ads showing :p

I would try putting some CPM banners up, because you'll earn quite a lot for that many impressions. The ads look okay to me, and they're in some pretty good places. Maybe you could put an ad box just before the quick reply button.

Computerized, Sep 18, 2006 IP
  17. Scriptona

Scriptona Notable Member

Best Answers:
    how do u control the ads if they are cpm or cpc ?

Scriptona, Sep 18, 2006 IP
  18. CBT

CBT Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes my forum is all about mmorpg, i used to have cpm banner and it used to get over 900 click per 5 days, but as you know CPM ads doesn't pay you well for clicks!

anyway, i thought that it would be great if i use google adsense but it went low as 50-60 click per day nad that very low CTR :(

my forum some times generat 100k impression (week end days)

I"m still looking for help to improve it :p

CBT, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  19. xboxundone

xboxundone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree completely with proven results! after 1 post and thread.

xboxundone, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  20. matty dread

matty dread Peon

Best Answers:
    feel free to check out my forums for some placement ideas. I also strongly suggest making your ads for guests only. I noticed a nice increase when I made that one change.

matty dread, Sep 19, 2006 IP