1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Best Directory Theme for WordPress?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Jericho Montes, Nov 10, 2013.

Hello Everyone!

I am newbie here and I like this forum very much.
    Just want to ask help in choosing the best directory theme for WordPress.
    I am planning to create a local directory website and until now still in the process of choosing the right theme. Can anyone suggest me a theme which the following:

- Flexible and Good looking theme
    - SEO optimized
    - There is a section where I can edit listings from the others. (Of course I am the admin)
    - Can offer FREE and Paid listing
    - With Slider
    - Featured listings with highlight.

I know in this forum there is someone who is already in the industry of maintaining a directory site. I'll wait for your advice guys.

Excited to see the best directory theme for WordPress.

Jericho Montes, Nov 10, 2013 IP
  2. SavannahWebGuy

SavannahWebGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been looking for the same to replace an old HTML website directory of mine. I have one in Joomla but wanted Wordpress and the Joomla one was missing some features I desired. Then I searched recently and found this - Templatic - Directory - Released in Mid-October. You can set up a test site and work with the back end to see if this is for you. They have some good additional plugins to go with it to manage ads, events, etc. I have two directory sites and about to start building a third. Curious to get your feedback on this one.

SavannahWebGuy, Nov 19, 2013 IP
  3. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why are you using Wordpress for the directories? There are other scripts made mainly for directories with more capabilities. You can always run WordPress in a /folder/ beside your directory too

Nima, Nov 19, 2013 IP
  4. SavannahWebGuy

SavannahWebGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    Nima - are we talking about the same kind of "directory"? I'm speaking of a local subscription based business directory, plus a whole lot more. What kind of directory are you referring to and what platform are you suggesting besides Wordpress?

SavannahWebGuy, Nov 19, 2013 IP
  5. Jericho Montes

Jericho Montes Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Nima,

I used WordPress for my directory website because it is easy to use which is perfect for a non-coder like me. :D Do you have a directory too?

RedMagazine is a nice theme but not for directory website.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    Jericho Montes, Nov 20, 2013 IP
  6. SavannahWebGuy

SavannahWebGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    The "Directory" theme by Templatic is basically a "turn key" all in one solution for those wanting to create a directory website. They have some great plugins to enhance. They even let you set up a test site on their server with admin access to try it out, as well as they have been very helpful in answering any pre-sale questions I have before buying. I'm with you Jericho - need Wordpress CMS for the non high level coder here as well. I know HTML and CSS - but get lost in PHP.

SavannahWebGuy, Nov 20, 2013 IP
  7. Jericho Montes

Jericho Montes Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's why I always tell to my friends who keep asking me to create website for them that I am not a web developer but I am an internet entrepreneur and I own websites. Thanks to the awesome WordPress!

God bless to your business Savannah

Jericho Montes, Nov 21, 2013 IP
  8. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    phpLD and esyndicat both do subscription. You can still have Wordpress for articles and other thigns too.
    That's what I do on www.legalglobal.com

Nima, Nov 21, 2013 IP
  9. circlecity

circlecity Active Member

Best Answers:
    circlecity, Nov 21, 2013 IP
  10. bledian93

bledian93 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For all that you say , i will recommanded a theme from Ait-themes. think have a nice design for that you are searching.
    http://www.ait-themes.com/wordpress-themes/directory-wordpress-theme/ i
    Hope to help you with that.

bledian93, Nov 22, 2013 IP
  11. uzair072

uzair072 Active Member

Best Answers:
    you can also use the directorypress theme.....for details you can see
    recipetasty.com
    foodbytes.org
    wwmlb.com

Above all the examples

Thanks

uzair072, Nov 22, 2013 IP
  12. Web Directory Reviews Org

Web Directory Reviews Org Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    I use DirectoryPress, which is a WordPress theme, for my directory of directories. For a directory with a limited scope, such as mine, it works fine, but I wouldn't choose it for a larger directory, at least not unless you are very familiar with WordPress. Out-of-the-box, it looks pretty nice, and there are a lot of design changes that can be made without tweaking the theme itself, but I don't like the way that subcategories display, so I wouldn't use it in a directory that was going to have a lot of subcategories on any one page, such as all of the cities and towns in a state. I am sure there are ways around that, but I haven't figure out what they were yet.

PremiumPress, which makes DirectoryPress promises 24/7 tech support. While you will indeed receive an answer to your questions, seldom will this answer be of any use to you. Mostly, whatever problems I was having were met with the response that I couldn't do whatever it was that I wanted to do with PremiumPress, only to find that someone in their forum could tell me how it could be done.

The impression that I got was that DirectoryPress was made by people who understood WordPress, but had hardly a clue as to what might be needed in a directory. Thus, they couldn't understand why I might want to have the ability to display subcategories in columns rather than haphazardly on the page. Their tech support people also don't seem to know very much about the product they are supporting.
    Like others here, I'd recommend eSyndicat, phpLD, or another script that was made by people who understood directories and the needs of directory operators.

13. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can use either one of the scripts out there (as a base) but if you want to have a serious directory you either have to customize the heck out of them or write your own from scratch (IMO)

Nima, Dec 12, 2013 IP
  14. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know if you are old enough to remember the dot com bubble from the 1990s but many of the software companies today are just like them. You take a bunch of very good, if not brilliant programmers, and put them together to create a program. They decide to sell it. Then they find out supporting their shiny new program is no fun. They keep selling but don't worry about paying bills or keeping customers happy. An otherwise good product dies.

The main difference between then and now is that many of these "companies" have little overhead. They can hang on far longer and their potential customer base is virtually limitless. Their product works well, if and only if, you use it exactly as they envisioned it. If you have any ideas beyond their's, you are on your own and often have to fix their core code. Because, at the end of the day, while they can make software that does amazing things, their coding skills are actually not much more than mediocre. Many of them hide behind "limited English" or time zone differences. Others just stop responding to your inquiries. And others enjoy the benefits of a customer base who knows they have to help each other because the "company" couldn't be bothered.

YMC, Dec 17, 2013 IP
    Nima likes this.
  15. Web Directory Reviews Org

Web Directory Reviews Org Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I think that pretty much describes DirectoryPress, and probably the other PremiumPress products as well. I get the feeling that there is a lot that could be done with it, but getting there is difficult, and there is no help available beyond their customer base, and that's hit and miss.

16. Simon Gooffin

Simon Gooffin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, just found this thread.
    The listed items are 100% included in esyndicat or subrion scripts. Yep, I'm affiliated with the projects - anyhow, you asked for help so why I can't offer my products here, can I?

Both scripts support paid featured listings, sliders, and they both are search engine friendly.
    Here is the set of free templates:
    demos.esyndicat.com/templates/

Ask in case you have any questions.

Simon Gooffin, Feb 3, 2014 IP
  17. katkay1

katkay1 Member

Best Answers:
    SmallBusinesser.com directory theme has full features:
    Google Maps and Business Locations
    Responsive Business Directory Website Design
    Directory Listing Packages and User Membership
    User Accounts with Management and Notification Tools
    Contact Forms, Private Messages and More!

katkay1, Apr 1, 2015 IP
  18. ColorVila

ColorVila Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Try to have a look at http://colorvila.com, there are 60+ themes, you can get all of them at a time, hope you can find the one you need.

ColorVila, Jun 9, 2015 IP
  19. Eneiy1

Eneiy1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Try the themes at https://www.coothemes.com/ and have a nice design of your site

Eneiy1, Feb 3, 2016 IP
  20. asheikha

asheikha Member

Best Answers:
    You can view here https://goodwpthemes.com/best-wordpress-business-directory-theme/ many themes with modern and latest advanced features directories for WordPress

asheikha, Feb 10, 2016 IP