1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The best country for an American to relocate to

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Will.Spencer, Oct 5, 2006.

1. 56kuser

56kuser Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The galaxi is the best :X:X:X

56kuser, Jan 27, 2008 IP
  2. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Or in another country that either uses the dollar or pegs their currency to the dollar...

Will.Spencer, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  3. canadian_in_beijing

canadian_in_beijing Peon

Best Answers:
    Originally from Canada but spent the past 8 years traveling and living in over 50 countries (still young 28) so got a good perspective. You are asking for Utopia and will either have to give up stability, taxes, property prices (at least 2 of your list) and find a balance based on your needs. Unless you have done a bit of traveling I would stay away from third world countries.

If you can 100% support yourself from the internet I would look toward islands (Carribean, bahamas)...you can run any internet company from there and taxes are nil if done properly. Stable, medical, shopping all there..but it can be expensive.

I'm living in China at the moment purely for business reasons, but would go back to Australia in a second after taking over the Chinese internet. House prices aren't cheap, sometimes it's hot but everything else is there...and the people are great! Taxes are a little more tricky from first world countries so you would have to look into overseas incorporation in tax heavens and planning your residency properly to get around taxes.

Everyone has personal tastes that are different... I like Islands and Australia.... you might like Scandinavia and the snow. Do some research and plan out an extended vacation (if you truly work from the internet you should be able to work from anywhere in the world)...so work and travel...when you find somewhere you like then settle down

Derek

canadian_in_beijing, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  4. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I can't remember if this was mentioned before, but what about the Dominican Republic? 80 year round.. Ah, I could use that right now..

Mia, Feb 1, 2008 IP
  5. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Ya, I mentioned it a couple of times. My house is officially on the market now and that is where we are moving to.

With the global warming the way it is going, it may only be in the 70's down there. Which, by the way, you should look at the realfeel temps. Because of the humidity it feels like it is in the 90's to around 100 on many days.

Jarabacoa is the area you want to go if those temps are too hot. Prices in Jarabacoa are quite a bit cheaper for houses. You can invest in land in another part of the country where Trump is building condos, the land there has skyrocketed in price.

debunked, Feb 1, 2008 IP
  6. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Honduras is a good destination. The US has serveral bases in Honduras including the Soto Cano Air Base.

Roatan one of the bay islands is real popular with the jet set. The main language on the island is (creole) English. Roatan is one hour from Miami.

The north coast has some cheap real estate. The most popular cities are San Pedro Sula (Omao Beach), La Ceiba, Tela and Trujillo.

Dominican Republic is a good destination but the property is real expensive down there.

You can get a coffee plantation at a good price in Siguatepeque, Copan or Ocotepeque honduras. Olancho is good for ranching.

bogart, Feb 1, 2008 IP
  7. Vic_mackey

Vic_mackey Banned

Best Answers:
    I think I'm going to go to Romania for a few weeks, wouldnt really fancy living there though. I've still no idea where I want to live but this thread is giving me a lot of good ideas.

Vic_mackey, Feb 1, 2008 IP
  8. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Awesome... My buddy is down there now...

Fine with me.. I could work from the beach..

Interesting.. Well it has been a while for me.. Are things still cheap down there, ie., other goods?

Mia, Feb 1, 2008 IP
  9. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Other goods vary. Foods that you are familiar with in the USA are going to be more expensive and harder to find. Things like cereal can be alomost double. Other items can be quite a bit cheaper. The quality of available appliances is lower overall and not cheap. So overall you probably don't save much on cost of living, but some things like a gardener/security guard might run $100-$200 a month.

debunked, Feb 1, 2008 IP
  10. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    In Europe there are a few interesting solutions worth mentioning. The countries belonging to the ex-communist block are becoming quite popular since they are relatively cheap to live in and have excellent living conditions.

Emperor, Feb 1, 2008 IP
  11. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:

As far as a gardener and security, I have a wife and dog... :D

Mia, Feb 1, 2008 IP
  12. erolelcott

erolelcott Peon

Best Answers:
    have you found your answer yet??

erolelcott, Feb 1, 2008 IP
  13. gocubs19

gocubs19 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How about, Canada? :)

gocubs19, Feb 1, 2008 IP
  14. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Panama seems to meet all my requirements. We're taking a second trip down there this month.

I've been to somewhere around twenty countries, the wife has been to double that.

I like the Carribean. We had a great time in the Bahamas. Panama has an edge, because it's out of the hurricane zone. The wife just doesn't like hurricanes.

I can't imagine living in China. I value my freedom far too highly. I'd be one of those poor bastards under the tanks in Tianamen Square.

Australian's also are facing limitations on there freedoms and very few limitations on their tax burdens.

There are some great DP members in Romania. You should hook up with some of them while you are there. :)

I'll let you know after our five week "test" of Panama. :D

Canada fails almost every requirement.

Will.Spencer, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  15. aytuggg

aytuggg Peon

Best Answers:
    aytuggg, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  16. rose77mary77

rose77mary77 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think some Richest guys thinking to make a home in Moon and other planets, I think there is no better alternative country for Us people to settle,

rose77mary77, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  17. warsome

warsome Guest

Best Answers:
    I'de have to say Canada.

warsome, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  18. khateya

khateya Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No comments

khateya, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  19. Naughty Son

Naughty Son Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd suggest u add a poll.

Naughty Son, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  20. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Turkey has a dismal record regarding freedom of speech.

My wife, and really any reasonable woman, would veto a move to any predominantly Islamic country.

Will.Spencer, Feb 3, 2008 IP