1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Best Content Mangment System

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by alexgau, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Rics

Rics Peon

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is the easiest CMS ever! You can do anything you want with it in a simple way. If you will invest your time to learn some tool, learn Worpdress.

Rics, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  2. that0n3guy

that0n3guy Peon

Best Answers:
    I also vote drupal. I'm no coder and I've figured out how to do some pretty sweet sites with it. I used to be a joomla guy because it was "easy"... I would never go back.

Drupal got #1 this year in Best overall open source CMS and best open source PHP CMS this year at packt publishing (google it).

As compaired to wordpress... wordpress is easy to setup something very simple (a blog) and has a million plugins... but thats doesnt mean they are all quality.

If you want a blog... go wordpress. If you want a cms that would have the ability to expand into something greater... go drupal.

that0n3guy, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  3. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should do you own research to questions like this. People who like joomla will post the software is great. People that do not like joomla will post all of the bad things.

Find a good quality security website and read through the security bulletins for joomla. Search digital point for joomla hacked and see how many results come back. Then do a search for drupal hacked and wordpress hacked. Then repeat these searches on google, msn and yahoo.

Its better to get an unbiased opinion, then to ask a group of people that will point you in the direction they want you to go.

Another suggestion I have, when your reading through a forum like digital point, pay attention to how many times you see the words "hacked" and then the name of the website software. If your in a webmaster forum or a security forum and the threads look like someone copied and pasted the title - "my joomla site was hacked", something is wrong.

~kev~, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  4. aap

aap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I will recommend Drupal. Inbuilt comment system.

aap, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  5. RichardG87

RichardG87 Peon

Best Answers:
    opensourceCMS.com was created with one goal in mind. To give you the opportunity to "try out" some of the best php/mysql based free and open source software systems in the world. You are welcome to be the administrator of any CMS system here, allowing you to decide which system best suits your needs.

RichardG87, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  6. eparoiva

eparoiva Guest

Best Answers:
    Plone is my choice.

eparoiva, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  7. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I look at wordpress as a CMS.

dcristo, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  8. Embob

Embob Peon

Best Answers:
    Wordpress all the way:D

Embob, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  9. UIS4821

UIS4821 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wordpress hands down. Almost all the "big" blogs use it there most be a good reason.

UIS4821, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  10. Aquarezz

Aquarezz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    WordPress is very good :)
    They even have thousands of good templates... the problem is I never find the one that is right for my blog :D

Greetz

Aquarezz, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  11. bnandika

bnandika Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    better read this article, then make your own decision what cms is the best for you.

bnandika, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  12. greenpinion

greenpinion Peon

Best Answers:
    It's depend on your work, time to spend, skills in computer languages etc.
    Joomla : have very beautiful templates, easy to use, good for complex websites.
    Drupal : easy to config (can add PHP easily), but themes are less beautiful, great on manage authorization (user level control - group control), good for complex websites.
    Wordpress : have very beautiful templates, easy to use, suitable for non-complex websites, uses a small time to completed website.

greenpinion, Nov 21, 2008 IP
  13. Wolfenstein

Wolfenstein Guest

Best Answers:
    wordpress ;)

Wolfenstein, Nov 21, 2008 IP
  14. freecodes

freecodes Peon

Best Answers:
    Drupal is the best choice as it's more search engine friendly.

freecodes, Nov 21, 2008 IP
  15. farbeat

farbeat Peon

Best Answers:
    I vote DLE , but thats just me =)

farbeat, Nov 22, 2008 IP
  16. delhi_wala

delhi_wala Peon

Best Answers:
    My fav CMS is joomla, it is flexible, easy and has tons of 3rd party add-ons.

delhi_wala, Nov 22, 2008 IP
  17. tsiger

tsiger Peon

Best Answers:
    Drupal or Wordpress will do i think

tsiger, Nov 22, 2008 IP
  18. eXigenT * odt

eXigenT * odt Banned

Best Answers:
    well. i will go with wordpress it is best start for newbie

eXigenT * odt, Nov 22, 2008 IP
  19. alhelalat

alhelalat Member

Best Answers:
    try xoops for me it is the best

alhelalat, Nov 22, 2008 IP
  20. markowe

markowe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla drives me crazy - its incredibly limited structure means ALL your content has to be arranged in the structure:

Section -> Category -> Article

(OK, I know this CAN be hacked with third party plugins etc. etc. but I'm talking out-of-the-box)

Also, the different ways to display that structure is very limited - the so-called "blog" format which lists everything in a section, or the "list" format which displays everything in that horrible, HORRIBLE list format (with the filter thing at the top!) - I mean who uses that..?

I am not knocking Joomla, it's great for a simple site and has many, many third-party extensions, but if you want something flexible in terms of your site structure, look elsewhere. I know there are ways to get round all this, but it takes extra customisation and often some programming knowledge that most users do not have.

WordPress is a phenomenal package and CAN be used as a CMS, even quite a sophisticated one, but remember it IS primarily a blogging platform, and some of the limitations of that can be seen. These, too, can be got round with some programming knowledge - WP has a pretty friendly programming framework and you can access all its many functions from PHP, but do you have the know-how for that...

I am using Expression Engine for one site, though this is a commercial package, and am pretty happy (see http://www.odista.com - the site of my English-Serbian-English translation company), but this was also a custom job and could not have been done without programming knowledge.

I want to look into Drupal for some other projects - I am hoping it is more flexible than these others. If you want to see a what Drupal can do see: http://www.mtv.co.uk/ - though there is probably plenty of custom stuff there and I have yet to actually try Drupal out...

markowe, Nov 23, 2008 IP