1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The best book cover creators.

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by TooHappy, Mar 2, 2006.

I’m looking for software to make a cover for an electronic book. Is there an application that is designed for just this purpose?

If so, what do you suggest I use?

Thanks!

TooHappy, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  2. nOR

nOR Peon

Best Answers:
    Take a look at Adobe Illustrator. It works fluently with the PDF format. Even exports them natively to the PDF format.

Read more here

Hope that helps! :D

nOR, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  3. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I actually use Adobe Illustrator CS. If you have access to this there are great templates (100% vector based) found in the root directory it is installed in.

PC: localdrive/Program Files/Adobe/Illustrator CS/Sample Files/Sample Art

Homer, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  4. TooHappy

TooHappy Guest

Best Answers:
    I'll check out Illustrator, thank you. I was hoping for something that was easy to use but it looks like there is no short cut :)

TooHappy, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  5. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Here's an example of one of the vector files
    [​IMG]

Homer, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  6. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Definitely Illustrator and Acrobat.

Photoshop would be an alternative, but make sure you start with the actual size 300dpi image or you will have a loss of quality when you convert it.

jestep, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  7. Amsterdam

Amsterdam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I read something about "action scripts" for Photoshop - apparently it's a sort of plug and play solution for e-book covers. I haven't tried them though so I don't know how good they are/aren't.

T

Amsterdam, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  8. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Actually that is correct if you are using bitmaps to begin with (importing) but if I had it my way I'd create every design I did 100% vector, it's way smaller file sizes and 100% scaleable :).

Homer, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  9. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I completely agree. Use vectors in photoshop or any other program that allows them as much as possible. Save space and the final result is always perfect quality.

jestep, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  10. NikkiBlue

NikkiBlue Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for pointing this out Homer!
    I'm looking at Illustrator now.

NikkiBlue, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  11. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Don't mention it ;). I have honestly been using this program WAY TOO long :D...but I love it! If you feel adventurious try the 'Templates' directory, all kinds of neat treasures in there...completely vector.

With all of the silly time I've spent with this app it has made me realize the importance of vector files. I am in the printing business so not only smaller file sizes but much better pre-press control with vector...specify pantone colors, over prints, swells, tranparancies.

There are some projects we have either created or clients have supplied that it's very difficult to see that the file is vector based. I mean you can certainly tell when you open them (layers) but in its finished output format you really can't. In fact, I would go so far as to say you can achieve looks of uniqueness with vector that you simply can with BMP images.

Homer, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  12. ramakrishna p

ramakrishna p Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Photshop is true solution for all graphic needs. You can do anything with photoshop. Designing book coverpages is very easy with photshop.
    Illustrator is only for vector outputs. Quality and colors concern photoshop is not lesser than any other software.

ramakrishna p, Mar 4, 2006 IP
  13. webbie

webbie Guest

Best Answers:
  14. webbie

webbie Guest

Best Answers:
  15. flavian

flavian Peon

Best Answers:
    honestly, i think custom made e-book creation software is pretty ordinary in quality. Even if you buy scripts for PhotoShop, if you dont have a design bone in yer body, your not going have the success compared to hiring a professional designer. Might be a tad expensive, but in the end, your integrity and professionalism with come accross a lot stronger..

flavian, Nov 4, 2006 IP
  16. neu

neu Guest

Best Answers:
    Illustrator is so much faster/easier and better than other graphics apps out there for PDF output and book cover designs etc -- but it does take a little bit of time to get used to I guess... but not much! :)

neu, Sep 2, 2010 IP
  17. Hannah987

Hannah987 Peon

Best Answers:
    why not go to somewhere like crowdspring - register, put in a description of what you want on your cover, and you can get a load of illustrators to submit their ideas, pick the best one and pay a fraction of what you would if you were hiring them normally.

That way you won't have to muddle through Photoshop or Illustrator. People do judge a book by its cover, so you want to do a good job and it can be hard to navigate around both programs as a beginner.

If you do use Photosohp make sure the file is saved as 300dpi and in cmyk format for best printing results.

Hannah987, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  18. eBookCovers

eBookCovers Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd use ecover creator - I use it and bought it from howtomakeanebookcover . Works well and I use it with word and save to a free PDF writer. What did you end up with?

eBookCovers, Jul 31, 2011 IP
  19. AMOLLA

AMOLLA Peon

Best Answers:
    Adobe InDesign is the industry professional software for book covers, magazines etc.
    Illustrator is called Illustrator for a reason.

AMOLLA, Jul 31, 2011 IP