1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Basic Etiquette re: the .org TLD

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Ajeet, Apr 6, 2005.

Hi,

There is a domain name that I really want, and it is only available with .org. I have never really used a .org domain name before. Is there something I need to know about this? I know that classically .org domains are supposed to belong to non-profits. My site will be a content site monetized in the usual ways. Should I bother about the TLD?

Thanks
    Ajeet

Ajeet, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  2. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    I tend to feel bad about taking up names, I will never use, to ensure traffic. The fact that I feel bad about it helps me feel better. In the end my good mood reminds me of the money the site will make and I pick up the extra domains.

ServerUnion, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  3. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Hi,

well the original intention was to keep this for "non profits"

I do debate the term as even charities are profit oriented.....

Also I run a pretty unpronouncable .org as my main business umbrella which controlls various .com, .co.uk etc sites it is the legal entity and registered as such (MBGJ.Org Limited (UK) but it is not intended to be branded.

I think a .org can be branded as an overall entity that controlls more visible entities but not as a driving force in itself.

For branding purposes I try to get the .com and .co.uk and in future .eu (when its finaly released).

.net is a nice alternative if one aims to pull together smaller entities under a kogical entity and I feel this can be branded similar to .org.

Sorry hope this helps a bit

Expat

expat, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  4. oalhajjar

oalhajjar Guest

Best Answers:
    Ajeet I think the non-profit argument for '.org's is dead. Your website will not be any different if you've got a .org or .com extension (in the eyes of visitors).

But remember that .com is still king and if you want to maximize your site's value then you've got to go for a .com. If you still think that the .org suits your site best then just do it.

oalhajjar, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  5. mmd2005

mmd2005 Peon

Best Answers:
    to search engines they are same, but to customers they are not

mmd2005, Apr 7, 2005 IP