1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Thank-You Clicks

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by Kaabi, Aug 4, 2006.

I'm sure many of us have either received or given out thank-you clicks on numerous occasions. I've seen people on the forum who like giving thank-you clicks because it's giving the webmaster money without actually giving them money (yours). In case you haven't figured it out, thank-you clicks are when you click an ad because you like the site and want to give the webmaster money. I've given thank-you clicks on numerous occasions, but I don't anymore (since I started using AdSense) because now I'm thinking about the advertiser, how it's not good for them. Since I don't know how to finish this off, I'll just put a non-sequitur smile :)

Kaabi, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  2. detonate

detonate Peon

Best Answers:
    Also, it's not good for the publisher because it lowers the conversion ratio their traffic delivers on the advertisers site and they will be smart priced down.

detonate, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  3. NoobieDoobieDo

NoobieDoobieDo Peon

Best Answers:
    I've done this before and it turned out great.

It was an ad for the family guy - a show I love. It took me to a site with a lot of videos and I ended up finding some really cool videos.

So I think it worked out for everyone, no one got cheated.

NoobieDoobieDo, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  4. Kaabi

Kaabi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For someone who loves "The Family Guy" so much, it's odd that you got the name wrong, there's no "the". But I'm happy everything worked out. Here's another smile :) :) Ha! I put two, I said another smile, not more smiles, just smile, so I lied. APOLOGIES.

Kaabi, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  5. venturefox

venturefox Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I rarely even look at adverts anymore unless something truely catches my eye. Giving "thank you" clicks is going to hit someone, somewhere down the line, its not really fair because adverts are meant to attract interested visitors only. You'll probably do more harm than good actually, the more false clicks advertisers get, the more they will look into other advertising methods.

venturefox, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  6. NoobieDoobieDo

NoobieDoobieDo Peon

Best Answers:
    I had to put a "the" before the title of the show. Proper english.

Compare the sentences :

" It was an ad for the family guy ... "
    " It was an ad for family guy ... "

Which one sounds better ... ?

NoobieDoobieDo, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  7. Skinny

Skinny Peon

Best Answers:
    The last one :). It's called "family guy". "The Simspons" is another show. You can't say:

It was an ad for the The Simpsons.

Anywho, back to the original issue. I believe thank-you clicks are wrong. I'm sure it happens but your really shoud refrain from doing it.

I've been tempted but never did.

Skinny

Skinny, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  8. Kaabi

Kaabi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually the second one sounds a lot better. And I DON'T do thank-you clicks anymore, I'm saying I use to, but I don't because it's bad for the advertisers, and all those other reasons you guys were saying.

Kaabi, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  9. Gareth_Boyd

Gareth_Boyd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Used to do it if i seen a good article and enjoyed reading it and if i seen a google ad i would click it :)

Gareth_Boyd, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  10. YokoOno

YokoOno Guest

Best Answers:
    There is no reason to give 'thank you clicks' to anybody. First, google tracks conversions and thank you clicks don't convert. Second, that thank you click may resemble a profile of a fraudelent click - no action is taken, too little time spent on a site, to many adverts clicked, etc.

YokoOno, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  11. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon

Best Answers:
    How about this: If you really like a web site, look for an ad that you are genuinely interested in. If you can't find one, don't click on any. Normally you wouldn't even see the ads, so the only change here is that you are looking for an ad that you like. You never know, you might find something fascinating...

A similar thing goes with forum signatures. If someone seems really interesting or helpful, have a look at their sig. I've found some really cool stuff that way too.

Cryo.

Cryogenius, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  12. Kaabi

Kaabi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah people have some nice stuff in their sigs, I'm always clicking sig links and then having myself a view.

KASHWAK = NO-FO

Kaabi, Aug 4, 2006 IP
    Gareth_Boyd likes this.
  13. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    At the "other" webmaster forum i hang out at there was a guy making (he says) over $4k per month.. he had been using Adsense for years..
    One day he made a post about giving "thank you clicks" or "tips", and how he thought everyone should do it, there was nothing wrong with it, etc..
    a week or 2 after that post, he was mysteriously banned from Adsense.

so.. if you havnt already figgered out that 'thank you clicks' amount to click-fraud, it is.. Just say no to invalid clicks!

Tearabite, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  14. Avatar7

Best Answers:
    Thank you clicks are ofcourse unethical . You think that you'r a generous guy giving the publisher a reward , but you'r being generous to him and at the same time ,simply a THIEF (stealing from the advertiser).

How come you give a reward that you do not own!!!!!!!

15. P8ntballer

P8ntballer Peon

Best Answers:
    That's just like asking people to click on your ads..

P8ntballer, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  16. Gareth_Boyd

Gareth_Boyd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Im confused! :s lol

Gareth_Boyd, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  17. danielbruzual

danielbruzual Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't give thank you clicks, but I put on my ad-spotting goggles (I normally don't see the ads) and if I find something interesting I click otherwise I don't. So it's more of a curiosity click.

danielbruzual, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  18. Travis

Travis Peon

Best Answers:
    If I value information written by someone or on a website, I will normally email the author (or the website if they've written everything on the site) and ask if there was a way I could donate a couple bucks (if they don't have a paypal button on their site). Thank you clicks are not good, imagine you were an advertiser and people were giving "thank you clicks" at your expense. That's how "click fraud lawsuits" come to be :(.

(Which is also why I don't advertise on the content network, when I do advertise). But it is always important to reward someone whom has given you invaluable information that may have put a lot of time into something. And it feels good too :).

Travis, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  19. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I seem to vaguely remember that guy. I think his site was in the finance field or something like close to that.

qwestcommunications, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  20. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I havent given thank-you clicks because I know how it hurts the advertiser.

r3dt@rget, Aug 4, 2006 IP