1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Testing Waters - 3.5 Year old Automotive Site

Discussion in 'Appraisals' started by Spendlessly, Jan 28, 2006.

I would like to test the waters on a site of mine that I purchased and began to build over 3 years ago. The URL is http://www.dragsource.com

I do not have a starting price, or a BIN - but I will entertain serious offers. This is my first time selling a site, so I am trying to get an idea of what it is worth - but I am prepared to sell. I have several other sites that have taken a priority recently, and have to force myself to move on. The site started as a hobby, and grew until it consumed my local area. Every automotive enthusiast in my city - and even my state, generally knows of the site by name. The site has done promoting for local drag racing tracks, and I frequently receive offers in regards to being a parts distributior. (I haven't entertained any of them as I wanted to avoid drop shipping things) It has grown over the years, and continues to grow quickly -

The site consists of articles, which I wrote. Calculators, that I coded. A very active forum with 1000+ registered users. Several subsections where users can upload pictures of their cars with descriptions (write content for you), and also upload pictures from shows they've gone to, etc.

I didn't record statistics until part way through 2004, so that is where they begin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

----------------

Below are my actual earnings with AdSense for this month, up to the time of this post. I use both AdSense and Yahoo on the site currently. AdSense on the main site/articles/content, and Y! on the forums. My total for this month as of today with Yahoo is $222.29

[​IMG]

The ONLY portion of the site that IS NOT included is the DS Productions section. That is a business owned by another individual, it and the videos under that section will be moved to another domain prior to the sale, and are not included. All other videos were created by me, and do come with the site (archived videos section)

----------------

I will entertain questions publicly - fire away.

Question: How much work is required.

Answer: The registered rides section is fully automated. When someone uploads a "ride" it doesn't show in with the rest of them until they upload at least one image of it. Currently the only way to edit the rides in there is through the MySQL database - however I could whip up an administration page prior to sale.

The member timeslips section is fully editable using the admin panel in PHPBB.

The past events section is automated to the point that - when someone submits an event, it waits in queue until it is reviewed and approved. (once agin, no admin page - it is done by changing a "n" to a "y" in the MySQL database - and once again, I could put together an admin page prior to sale upon request)

The archived pictures section is dynamically generated. To add pictures to it you do have to manually upload the image, and type a description of it into the MySQL database - I would be willing to make a simple upload form prior to sale.

The archived videos section is the same as the archived pictures section ^^

The DS Drag Racer game is fully automated, and has active players daily.
    SEMrush
    Everything on the site is stored in SQL databases for easy re-arranging/reformating.

Spendlessly, Jan 28, 2006 IP
    SEMrush
  2. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    images not showing up

joeychgo, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  3. petertdavis

petertdavis Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We can't ask what the domain is? How is anyone supposed to say anything about it without knowing the domain? Honestly!

petertdavis, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  4. Spendlessly

Spendlessly Peon

Best Answers:
    You make a good point, perhaps I am being too restrictive of the URL. I have amended my initial post to include the URL of the site.

5. petertdavis

petertdavis Notable Member

Best Answers:
    One thought that comes to me, since you mentioned it has a good regional branding you'd probably maximize your selling potential to sell the site to someone within that region. I'd seriously recommend contacting a business broker who specializes in that region. People here would be mostly likely to pay a multiple of your monthly profits for it, but someone looking for that kind of name recognition in your region may find the brand more valuable than the profits. Just a thought.

petertdavis, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  6. Spendlessly

Spendlessly Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the suggestion peter - *newbie taking notes*

7. Spendlessly

Spendlessly Peon

Best Answers:
    I am receiving several PM's requesting an amount that I have in mind.

I honestly have no idea where to begin, and obviously don't want to sell myself short. I have interest at $4,000 - I would like to see if there are any others interested, and will consider an auction if I receive additional offers.

8. PGZ

PGZ Peon

Best Answers:
    Your site is worth alot more than $4000....Dont sell yourself short. With the traffic you are getting and the revenue that is there at this point your looking at alot more than your interest.

Im sure many here will agree with me.

PGZ

PGZ, Jan 28, 2006 IP
    Caydel likes this.
  9. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm - you offering more then $4k?

10. PGZ

PGZ Peon

Best Answers:
    No cause I dont have the money right now but was just being honest with the guy so he isnt taken advantage of......Something wrong with that ??

I mean as of right now its bringing in over $600 a month just in Google and Yahoo ads.

Its a PR4 with really good traffic so Im sure banner ads could be sold along with text links to bring in even more money per month.

Another site with somewhat same stats just sold for $12,500

He asked what people thought it was worth and I just answered the question that was asked.

Just my opinion though..

PGZ

PGZ, Jan 28, 2006 IP
    Jat likes this.
  11. honey

honey Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think the site is worth what a buyer is going to pay. Just like a house which maybe worth a million $$, but if you are only getting $500,000 and that's the best standing offer, it's your call to decide whether you want to sell it or not. But I understand, as you said, you are testing waters because websites are always case to case. I have bought and sold a lot of websites, and I will probably keep doing if the demand and supply ratio is good, and I would say that I have sold sites making nothing for as much as $5000 and sites making $300 a month as low as $2000. The thing is, since website incomes are usually not predictable for a longer future and rely on so many factors in the competitive nature of the web, websites may sell for more then 10-12x maybe 40x or 2x...basically difficult to say.

honey, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  12. emil2k

emil2k Active Member

Best Answers:
    What is this site that made around 600/month sold for $12,500? And who is the buyer :D

emil2k, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  13. PGZ

PGZ Peon

Best Answers:
    You mean I have to go find it for you and its right here in this forum....Come on man read just like I would have to. If I remembered the thread then I would of posted it but it is in this forum.

It sold on another site for 12,500 but was listed here also.

PGZ

PGZ, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  14. MountainLife

MountainLife Active Member

Best Answers:
    Listen the site's worth what it's worth.

The revenue has to be proven, you're removing videos and part of the site upon sale, so revenuye should be expected to go down no matter what the seller says because of course they'll say it won't go down. I'm semi interested but you'll have to be realisitic, also you posted revenue showing 400 something not 600, always amazes me when revenues go up the mopnth someone wants to sell the site. I'll check this out and see where we get.. also for 3 years it only has 13 bl's? Keep in mind it's always the guy who doesn't have the money to buy it who'll say it worth more lol

side note just found something funny

http://web.archive.org/web/20031226043339/http://www.dragsource.com/

MountainLife, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  15. Spendlessly

Spendlessly Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep. It was hacked a long time ago. I found it amusing myself - but probably not as amusing as you ;)

16. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    All things to consider. Also, forums can be tricky. Members can stop returning as often just because their 'buddy' who owned the site isnt around anymore. I've seen it happen many times.

17. MountainLife

MountainLife Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah i agree, i'm interested but see quite a bit of loss potential, not worth what he's asking.. but we'll see what comes about

MountainLife, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  18. westhaven

westhaven Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    do tell me if u are intrested in selling your site.

westhaven, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  19. PGZ

PGZ Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok whatever man......I forgot your the expert. Go ahead try to get it for nothing why dont ya.....

Of course you will disagree with me because you are interested in it....I have nothing to gain or lose by my words.....You on the other hand cant say the same because you want it.

Now with those 2 comparisons who do you think will be more honest about it...You or Me ???

Nuff said..

PGZ

PGZ, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  20. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Real world sales of business has shown the new owners upon takeover can expect to lose 25% of revenue. the first year.

Also you can look in the JoelComm thread to see doctored Adsense stats...

Definite limit in worldwide appeal...mostly US market....keyword valuations of adsense ads would not appear to be high paying terms.

So to grow revenues you must drive traffic at this point. Losing parts hurts as well.

However the games thing is a bonus with nice stickiness.

Domain name is good value.

Could you give average page views per user??

Average length of time user is on the site??

Thank you

Sem-Advance, Jan 28, 2006 IP