1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Testing Keyword Tracker

Discussion in 'Keyword Tracker' started by tbushell, Dec 27, 2012.

Our developer has set up the keyword tracker on our site. I looked at the script and cannot see any trailing spaces, etchttp://www.coursemonster.com/uk/tracker.php The script returns a:1:{s:7:"results";s:4:"9999";} when you visit this page.I have set up a new API project and entered the API Key. I add digitalpoint and coursemonster as the referrers for this project.I thought I'd test it with the keywords "bbc news" and http://www.bbc.com/uk/ but it's showing N/A. It shows "Lastcheck=Today"Can this be right? Is there something I can use to test it is working correctly?

tbushell, Dec 27, 2012 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What if you remove the referrer requirement? Referrers are only going to be passed if it's a JavaScript/browser based use of the API... I suspect that might be the problem.

digitalpoint, Dec 30, 2012 IP
  3. tbushell

tbushell Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey ShawnI've removed the referrers. No joy. It says "N/A" for "bbc news" against "http://www.bbc.co.uk" for Google. See screen shots of setup. Any other ideas?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      22.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      15.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      40.4 KB
      Views:
    tbushell, Jan 1, 2013 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If you click the keyword in the keyword tracker to look it up manually, does it kick back an error of any sort?

digitalpoint, Jan 1, 2013 IP
  5. tbushell

tbushell Peon

Best Answers:
    The URL for "bbc news" is javascript:// When I click this link the page posts back are a couple of seconds.

tbushell, Jan 1, 2013 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I did some checking and our server is communicating with yours properly... but it looks like for whatever reason your server may not be communicating with Google's servers for some reason. Do you have any error logs in your php error log on your server?

digitalpoint, Jan 1, 2013 IP
  7. tbushell

tbushell Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawn, thanks. I'll check these.

tbushell, Jan 1, 2013 IP
  8. pmacafee

pmacafee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Shawn, same problem here. Our site does not have php error logs and you checked everything on your end for account pmacafee this afternoon and saw everything right. But we rank #1 for the phrase "san francisco car service" but the tracker finds "N/A". Tried a new Google API and swiped the script and put a new file on the server. Can I send you the script file or something? Really stumped.

pmacafee, Jan 2, 2013 IP
  9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Any chance you could enable PHP error logs? Maybe web server changed PHP versions or something that is causing an issue somehow is the only thing I can think of.

digitalpoint, Jan 2, 2013 IP
  10. pmacafee

pmacafee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The hosting rep just said they didn't have php logs. Is there some php code that I can use to just "ping" the site with and try to get to the source of the issue?

pmacafee, Jan 2, 2013 IP
  11. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I double checked and ran a query with your API key against a different server (same PHP script unless you changed the source of it somehow), and it returned results back fine (as expected), which means it's not an issue with your Google API key or anything. So whatever is going on does appear to be something going on that is specific to your server. Do you have a different server available to you that you could run the script from to test?

digitalpoint, Jan 2, 2013 IP