Taylor Swift...overated?

Discussion in 'Movies, Music & TV' started by Spoiltdiva, Feb 10, 2024.

Maybe it's because I am in my late 40's, but I just don't get it. Why is she so popular? Sure, she can tell a good story with her songs. She is pretty but not beautiful. Her voice is good but not great. Her dance moves have all been seen before.
    Can someone kindly explain to me what all the hype is about? To me she is just a glorified karaoke singer, am I wrong on this?

Spoiltdiva, Feb 10, 2024 IP
    thesaunderschild likes this.
  2. thesaunderschild

thesaunderschild Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They cannot even dress themselves, for a start.

thesaunderschild, Feb 11, 2024 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You could say that about a lot of "stars" these days. I listen to the lyrics and feel so old, why do young women like stars who consider them pieces of meat? Why do guys allow their heads to be filled with hate? The only comfort is that in 30 years they'll be old too and probably listening to their kids' music and thinking it's disrespectful.

sarahk, Feb 12, 2024 IP
  4. thesaunderschild

Best Answers:
    Half of them sing like they're in agony. And the beat is horrid in most new songs, for some reason. :(

I honestly cannot be arsed with today's music.

thesaunderschild, Feb 12, 2024 IP
  5. Artisan

Artisan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As far as i understand, she just
    works hard since her child age.

The suitable Russian saying.

завИдуйте мОлча (zavIduyte mOlcha)

If you are envious,
    then be silent.

Artisan, Feb 15, 2024 IP
    jrbiz and sarahk like this.
  6. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I am a loyal suscriber to Kerry Baranova ('Kerry Tries It'/Youtube channel) I very much like her picks of music/movies.:)

Spoiltdiva, Feb 15, 2024 IP
    Artisan likes this.
  7. thesaunderschild

Best Answers:
    I do like this song.

thesaunderschild, Feb 23, 2024 IP
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    She and her songs seem to speak to a lot of young women ("Swifties") Her previous boyfriend troubles and resultant music seem to make her sympathetic to her fan base, as well. Great music, like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder and she seems to have the most "beholders" these days.

jrbiz, Feb 24, 2024 IP
  9. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Fair enough but where was her career before she purchased your Fan Fanatics Model tinfoil hat? She was a nobody singing in dirty roadside bars. Then one day she shows up wearing your tinfoil hat and the rest is music history......(not fair)

Spoiltdiva, Feb 24, 2024 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    My natural modesty prevented me from stating the obvious. People forget that she had just removed her tinfoil hat when Kanye West grabbed the microphone and said that Beyoncé should have won the music award. She quickly put it back on and subsequently ordered the chinstrap accessory to prevent future mishaps. It has only been great things since then for her.

jrbiz, Feb 24, 2024 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  11. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    True story: about 15-16 years ago, I was at Baltimore International airport waiting to connect on the last leg of my journey home. I picked up my then 6-year-old son a toy from the airport gift shop and now needed to pick up something for my 16-year-old daughter. There was a shop selling make up, so I went in and saw two young ladies about the same age as my daughter standing in the store with guitar cases on their backs. I went up to them and asked for help in picking something for my daughter. The blonde (there was a brunette, too) immediately picked up some gold eye shadow and said "She will love this; I use it all the time." I thanked her and went to the cashier.

Having bought the item and walking away from the cash register with it in a bag, a very large, middle-aged woman walks up to me with a business card, hands it to me, and gruffly says, "She's going to be a big star, you know." I was a bit taken aback by what was obviously a very committed stage mother, thanked her and dropped the card in the bag with the make up without another thought.

Next day, I gave my son his toy and my daughter the bag with make-up. I told her that a young lady had helped me pick it out and her card was in the bag. My daughter opened the bag, looked at the card, and yelled, "Dad, you met Taylor Swift?!?!" Apparently, I had. :) (Side note: this was a bit before she became a superstar and was still transitioning from her country western roots.)

jrbiz, Feb 24, 2024 IP
  12. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I have relatives in both France and Quebec. One of my older relatives once told me a story about how she was riding her bicycle and drove by a young girl about 10 or 11 years old swinging on a swing hung up between 2 trees in Quebec. The little girl was singing while she was swinging.
    The girl sounded so good my relative asked what the girls name was. The answer was "Oh that is Celine Dion".

Spoiltdiva, Feb 24, 2024 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  13. thesaunderschild

Best Answers:
    I really like Canadian music.

The guy who founded the RPM tradepaper got mocked. He was told it wouldn't last, but issues were printed from 1964 to 2000. After which there was no official singles chart for Canadian singles until it resumed properly in 2007.

I never follow modern music, but now and again I may hear a good song. I don't exactly disown new music entirely, but sometimes I just notice their singing isn't that great. It can sound like they're struggling to hit the high notes. Just screeching a lot and relying on heavy sound distortion to produce the melody.

I really don't like Rihanna and other tarty singers like her.

thesaunderschild, Mar 12, 2024 IP
  14. itsallaboutseotraffic

itsallaboutseotraffic Member

Best Answers:
    Taylor Swift hasn't made a good song or albums in years. She needs to concentrate on making a good pop song. Break up songs are getting boring, Adele does that a lot who I'm not impressed with.

itsallaboutseotraffic, May 10, 2024 IP