1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Switching to shared server

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by RAF Systems, Oct 8, 2014.

I want to switch from VPS to somethign cheaper which has cpanel as its easier to manage. Id like to be able to park more than one domain (2 to 5). i d like all the regular features like unlimited databases, lots of bandwidth, >20gb storage.

I know I can google. BUT google is showing results from those who pay more to market. I want reccomendations from personal experience. Also maybe someone knows some good vouchers to use?

I need good uptime, they all say theirs is good but in reality its not. Also i want a company that has good rep and not used by cowboys/spammers etc..

RAF Systems, Oct 8, 2014 IP
  2. ByteChef

ByteChef Active Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Do you want a budget provider or a premium provider?

ByteChef, Oct 8, 2014 IP
  3. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    more information about what country you prefer to host in will help provide suggestions. also do you want normal ticket support or the full shabang with phone support / live chat etc?
    Personally, if you are moving from VPS down, ask your current provider if they offer shared hosting. I prefer to stick with people I know and trust rather then to try someone else.

matt_62, Oct 8, 2014 IP
  4. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I despair, I really do.

Your expectations are EXACTLY the sort of expectations that attract spammers and other idiots to a particular company, and it's companies offering these sort of things that could objectively be described as "cowboys".

Do you think that you'll somehow be the only person in the world who will find a company offering these sort of deals that hasn't also attracted the kind of customers you want to avoid? Having no limits to databases and bandwidth might be attractive to you, but I wouldn't want my site to be on a server where every single user also had these sorts of resources available to them. The only outcome there can be is lousy performance, uncertain reliabilty, and when you're dealing with cheap prices at the same time your data is at genuine risk of being lost forever if you don't have/take your own backups.

Are you actually planning on using unlimited databases? Do you really need unlimited email accounts? Are your sites so busy that they need "lots of bandwidth" - and do you think you can consume that bandwidth - whatever the limit - without falling foul of CPU, RAM, I/O or max file limits for a user account or domain?

Be realistic about your actual needs. Better to pay a little more for genuine reliability and service that meets your needs than to have the illusions of resources available to you that you will never ever be able use.

Best advice is from matt_62. If you're happy with your existing host, get in touch with them.

RonBrown, Oct 8, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch, Arick unirow and WSWD like this.
  5. Shagoon

Shagoon Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Offering unlimited databases/email accounts/subdomains/addon domains/etc (pretty much anything except space and bandwidth) isn't a bad thing... it basically means the provider puts no hard limits on the stuff you can do with your hosting account as long as you remain within your package's space and bandwidth limits... also I don't think this kind of thing attracts spammers, because they don't really care about these, all they care is about spamming which can be done from anywhere as long as the provider doesn't have the means of stopping them in a timely fashion.

Shagoon, Oct 9, 2014 IP
  6. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't understand why anyone would consider that OK. Many people on this forum think offering unlimited bandwidth and diskspace is a scam, but I don't see any difference between offering that and offering unlimited ANYTHING with a hosting plan.

You say, quite rightly, that they can use unlimited of X as long as they stay within the limits of diskspace and bandwidth, but isn't that exactly what unlimited diskspace and bandwidth is about too - it's OK to use as much as you want as long as you don't go over the CPU, RAM, Disk I/O or other limit set by the host? One is no less honest or dishonest than the other.

Every new MySQL database uses up a little space and a little bit of RAM and CPU power by just existing, and a little bit of the ultimate resources that MySQL can handle. MySQL (or other software such as email servers) has a practical limit on how many databases they can manage/control before they start to have issues or require increasingly powerful servers to operate. Are you really saying you would happily let someone create, say, 1 million MySQL databases that would use up very little diskspace but cause MySQL, and probably the server, to grind to a halt? They might stay within your diskspace and bandwidth limits, maybe even your RAM and CPU limits, but MySQL would be fried. The same would be true of email servers and other services.

It may seem an unlikely scenario, but it's a logical extension of offering "unlimited" if you want to assume the extreme. There has to be a limit, and by offering something as "unlimited" that can't actually be delivered is dishonest and attracting the uninitiated, the misinformed, and the malicious user.

You may be correct about spammers and I'd say you're definitely correct saying most hosts are not equiped to deal with spammers quickly. I know this because of the amount of spam we receive from all over the place that doesn't seem to getting dealt with effectively. However, the OPs concern wasn't specifically about spammers, but also about "cowboys" and other less salubrious users and losers.

The point in my post above was that the type of plan being sought was exactly the type of plan that these sort of people are attracted to. If the OP is attempting to find a host where these sort of people don't exist, then they need to adjust their expectations and look for a host where these people are much less likely to be found.

I was also making the point that no-one is actually going to use "unlimited" MySQL databases or "unlimited" email accounts, so why would these need to be part of their criteria when searching for a host? Is a host offering 100 email accounts with a plan somehow offering less to the customer compared to someone offering "unlimited" email accounts, if all the user needs is 4 email accounts? Do these sort of limits - or unlimited - actually make any difference to them? Does the customer accrue any benefit from getting "unlimited" opposed to "limited to 100" given their actual needs? The answer to all these questions is, "of course not." If the OP can understand that, then being more pragmatic about the hosting plan resources they need means they are more likely to end up finding a host where the type of people they are attempting to avoid aren't going to be sharing a server with them.

RonBrown, Oct 9, 2014 IP
  7. RAF Systems

RAF Systems Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for taking time to post that, i think you are right

RAF Systems, Oct 9, 2014 IP
  8. Shagoon

Shagoon Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @RonBrown CloudLinux my friend, allows you to offer unlimited features such as the ones we're discussing and each shared account is limited to a certain amount of CPU/RAM/IO/etc.

I fully understand what you're saying, and I agree that extreme cases do exits (eg: 1mill MySQL databases) but they are very very rare, and shouldn't dictate what a web host offers their clients because of "that one guy"

I've said what I've said because I do believe that offering unlimited features isn't at all the same thing as offering unlimited space/bandwidth... because powerfull servers have no problem with one client having lets say 1000 databases or email accounts, even 10k, while you can't possibly have an account that uses 10TB space... so basically the "unlimited" features breaking point is reached way way harder than the "unlimited" space/bandwidth breaking point.

Shagoon, Oct 10, 2014 IP
  9. xcesslogic

xcesslogic Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to move due to budget then there are plenty of good reliable VPS servers available which will cost you less than shared hosting. ie: under 5$/mo

xcesslogic, Oct 15, 2014 IP
  10. cubus

cubus Peon

Best Answers:
    All those cheap VPS are, in my expirence, full of peer to peer software / Game servers / Tor servers / IRC clients and servers / Video chat (like, but not limited to, camfrog) and then you end up with performance just like on some shared host. :(

cubus, Feb 18, 2015 IP