1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Switching localhost using from port 80 to port 8080?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by kaisellgren, Jun 29, 2008.

Hello,

I have my Apache server listening to port 8080, and when I type localhost my Firefox tries to connect to port 80. How do I switch it to 8080? I do not want to use my ip like http://IP:8080

kaisellgren, Jun 29, 2008 IP
  2. royo

royo Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, you can only access it by doing :8080 after your IP or changing it to port 80.

royo, Jun 29, 2008 IP
  3. kaisellgren

kaisellgren Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I do not like when people go around my question.

I used how can I make the "localhost" to go to the port 8080 instead of 80. There is a reason for this and it is because my router uses port 80. And I do not want to type my IP into my browser everytime (It changes everytime I boot my PC!) and even more irritating is to type :8080 in the end of it :S

I just want to use: http://localhost to access my server on my local host ...

4. royo

royo Peon

Best Answers:
    You can't.

royo, Jun 29, 2008 IP
  5. kaisellgren

kaisellgren Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Seriosly? How does e.g. Firefox decide to make localhost to connect to my ip:80 ? Can I any way modify Firefox to think its 8080 instead?

6. royo

royo Peon

Best Answers:
    From what I checked in the FireFox config, there are no settings to change this either via ini or menus. Perhaps there could be addons for this sort of thing, or you could try making one of your own.

royo, Jun 29, 2008 IP
  7. xous

xous Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

The default port for web servers is 80. Even if this were possible to change it in Firefox, you would break every other site.

You can either statically assign an additional IP address to the interface or you may be able to configure your routers DHCP server to assign a static IP via DHCP.

You should also be able to use the computer name in place of localhost and it should resolve to the internal network ip.

Edit:

Are you trying to host a website on the internet or do you need to be just locally available?

xous, Jun 29, 2008 IP