1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SWF/HTML generated by Indesign not displaying in browser

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by Marshall Law, May 1, 2018.

I'll start with a disclaimer: I am a print-based graphic designer with a little HTML/CSS knowledge.

I maintain the website for my company, but I've been forced to use this awful GoDaddy Website Builder and one of their hideous themes. I've tried to talk my boss into letting me build a new page from scratch, not using the stupid Website Builder, to no avail, so this is what I'm working with. This is probably a factor in the issue I am experiencing.

I was asked to take a print document that I created and make it display in the browser with page-turning effects. That's easy enough to do in InDesign - it exports as both .SWF and .HTML. files. I can open the HTML in any browser. The SWF will not open unless I open it in an Adobe program, which converts it to that particular file type.

I tried to upload and link both the HTML and the SWF to the website. The HTML displays a blank page, and the SWF just downloads the file. I think I need to somehow upload the SWF and use the HTML to display it? This is further complicated by the fact that the horrendous GoDaddy Website Builder does not have any sort of traditional FTP, so I'm not sure how to find the location and file path.

Go here: https://www.nortonceilings.com/products.html (have a laugh at the hideous site) and click the "View our Wood Ceiling and Wood Wall Inspiration Booklet" link. That is the HTML file, generated by InDesign and uploaded.

Any ideas?

Marshall Law, May 1, 2018 IP
  2. YYDevelop

YYDevelop Member

Best Answers:
    First of all nowadays using Swf in website is not a smart move. It's hard to view swf files as the browsers keep blocking them.
    Also it's better to write HTML code manually and not by exporting it from a software it mostly not work well.

YYDevelop, May 29, 2018 IP
    Saulkaroo likes this.
  3. alvorigolly

alvorigolly Peon

Best Answers:
    Right, and impossible to deploy due to its dependence on the swf format. You need a dedicated platform for that. I often see them recommended on the Adobe forums, but never remember the names because it’s such a lame notion.

alvorigolly, Nov 20, 2019 IP