1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

.swf/ftp/wordpress error

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by monkeytrick, Sep 16, 2016.

I'm having an issue getting a WordPress webpage to display a .swf I've made and saved to my public_ftp folder on Hostgator. Currently trying to link it using Kimili plugin, but no matter what, the page still keeps returning the error

'Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.'

New to this and put in a lot of hour

monkeytrick, Sep 16, 2016 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Wait... Is the public_ftp folder on hostgator available via web? Ie, can you pull up the swf file if you go to the site it's hosted?

PoPSiCLe, Sep 17, 2016 IP
  3. monkeytrick

monkeytrick Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply. No, the file doesn't seem to be, as when I copy the URL and try to open it, I have to log into cPanel.

monkeytrick, Sep 17, 2016 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Then of course it won't work in WordPress. Why don't you just upload it to the WordPress site, or put it in www-folder on hostgator?

PoPSiCLe, Sep 18, 2016 IP
  5. monkeytrick

monkeytrick Greenhorn

Best Answers:

monkeytrick, Sep 19, 2016 IP
  6. monkeytrick

monkeytrick Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    WordPress won't allow the file type to be stored in their library. I've added it to the public folder, but not sure what to do from there.

monkeytrick, Sep 19, 2016 IP
  7. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    if it's in the www/public_html-folder, just link directly to it?
    domain.tld/link-to-file-here.swf

PoPSiCLe, Sep 19, 2016 IP
  8. monkeytrick

monkeytrick Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    And there's the rub. It won't work when I do that. I've tried linking to the swf and the index file but neither seem to work.

monkeytrick, Sep 21, 2016 IP
  9. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Why not? What error do you get? What http response header?

PoPSiCLe, Sep 21, 2016 IP
  10. monkeytrick

monkeytrick Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks again for the reply. When I try to go the page, it takes me to the website with an error that reads, 'Sorry, you're looking for something that isn't there.' I'm a complete novice at this, so really don't know how to address the issue.

monkeytrick, Sep 21, 2016 IP
  11. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Okay. Let's do this step by step.
    First:
    you've uploaded the file to the _web_-folder on your Hostgator-host, correct?
    Second:
    is the name of the file without spaces, and such? all lower-case? (not needed, just makes it easier)
    Third:
    you should be able to load the file on your Hostgator server. If you can't load it there, of course you can't link to it.

If you can provide the domain on hostgator, and the file-name of the swf, maybe we can do a check to see if the file is actually where it's supposed to be.

PoPSiCLe, Sep 21, 2016 IP
  12. monkeytrick

monkeytrick Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, I've done all that.

That's a very generous off, thanks, and one I can't say no to!

The address is maxi-minds.com/weekly_quizzes/movie.swf

thanks again

monkeytrick, Sep 22, 2016 IP
  13. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Well, same for me - it doesn't show. However, I'm wondering if that is due to some kind of limitation set up by Wordpress - via .htaccess or something like that.

I also see that directly using the link maxi-minds.com/weekly_quizzes returns the same error, while (if clicking on the access quizzes link in the menu) it loads maxi-minds.com/index.php/weekly_quizzes - so I'm wondering if perhaps you have some weird logic in your .htaccess file, that might both hamper pretty urls a bit, and also perhaps bug the showing of the swf-file.

Btw - if you want to allow everyone to see this file, and it's just a video, nothing more, you really shouldn't use swf. Use mp4/flv or something instead, since Adobe's Flash-files aren't supported on many platforms anymore.

PoPSiCLe, Sep 22, 2016 IP
  14. monkeytrick

monkeytrick Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Many thanks for that. That is exactly the issue, and has led to many hours of frustration. As I'm a novice, is there anything you action you recommend I take, or would I need to contact HostGator about the issue?

Also, I'm looking to use the file as a very basic interactive page, with two buttons to navigate between slides (the file is a converted PowerPoint presentation with animations), so would be grateful if you could say whether the mp4/flv would still be best for this.

Thanks again

monkeytrick, Sep 22, 2016 IP
  15. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Well, no, for that you'll need the swf, to be able to do it just by uploading a file. A better solution would be to remake the presentation using images and javascript, but I'm thinking that might be slightly outside your comfort zone.

As for the problem with WordPress, I'm thinking that it should be fairly easy to fix for someone well versed in WordPress. I would contact hostgator, and if they can't help, maybe see if anyone here would be interested in a few bucks to fix it.

PoPSiCLe, Sep 22, 2016 IP