1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Surch.com

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by surchin, Jun 22, 2006.

I work for surch.com. We are in our final testing stages and would like to hear what people think about it so far. All comments and suggestions welcome!

surchin, Jun 22, 2006 IP
    Black_Hand and Epica like this.
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Interesting that you allow one site to have more than two listings on the home page. Not sure if I like that or if I've just been trained to expect no more than that

Where do people submit new sites?

sarahk, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  3. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    nice design, but i couldn't get to the directory ? :(

Brandon Sheley, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  4. Steve Myers

Steve Myers Active Member

Best Answers:
    @GameTrump: Notice the We are in our final testing stages ;) not bashing at you but he did mention this :)

Excellent job on the template, I like the layout, very user friendly! Can't wait to see it active and running. :)

Steve Myers, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  5. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Like the "extras" you're throwing in above the results for some terms. See a search for "search engine" for an example.

Tough market you're getting into - best of luck.

GuyFromChicago, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  6. surchin

surchin Banned

Best Answers:
    sarahK: not sure what you are talking about as far as 2 listings on the homepage can you give me an example of this?
    Game Trump: that is a flaw I need to fix... it does work but when you are on the homepage for surch click on the directory button....then notice that the word directory is highlighted blue... its just not very clear I need to change the color around a little but click on it and then do a surch and it will work.
    Chicago: Thanks thats a knowledge database that we include just as a little extra for people. :)

surchin, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  7. surchin

surchin Banned

Best Answers:
    I was really amazed actually I went from a 3million alexa rating to 21K in less than a week... We havent officially launched but did some minor pr and are getting a lot of traffic so far...But thanks a lot for your suggestions I need as much feedback as possible

surchin, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  8. surchin

surchin Banned

Best Answers:
    actually another thing chicago is the data tree on the left... do a surch for something and then click the + sign next to one of the clustered results on the left... you will see how it groups data... For instance if you type in "search engine" you will see in the data tree that there is a +sign for "forums" click on the +sign and it will show you some forums the engine found...

surchin, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  9. ylikone

ylikone Active Member

Best Answers:
    Cool search site... why do not all results for "web" come up with a tiny preview of what the site looks like? What determines if a result gets a preview graphic?

ylikone, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  10. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well I like it. :) I've seen some sites powered by that search engine before, is it an open source script or something?

EGS, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  11. surchin

surchin Banned

Best Answers:
    site images are determined by a few factors... One is if someone has clicked on it or surched for it before....another is if it has just made a recent change to its homepage and or had some downtime when we run that application update.

EGS its not open source per say but parts of it (like the live knowledge and site image preview) we acquired from other sources.

surchin, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Sure. Search google for simple seo: http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=simple+seo
    you'll see my old blog sitting at #1 and #2 with my new itamer site down the bottom or on page 2.

On your Surch http://www.surch.com/cgi-bin/surch/...I1151012000&twin=n&query=simple+seo&x=17&y=13 the same query gives me #1 to #5

Now there are pros and cons to limiting the number of times my site can be in the results and as the engine owners that's your business decision.

I like the filter option - that's a great way to drill down in the right direction.

Do you have your own indexer or do you use results from the other engines? (I just saw you use MSN's cache, so you use their data too?)

I'd also be interested in using your screenshot facility (giving credit ofcourse)

sarahk, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  13. Skinny

Skinny Peon

Best Answers:
    It looks good. Love the layout. It is a very competitive market however.

Hope it does well.

Skinny

Skinny, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  14. surchin

surchin Banned

Best Answers:
    Sarah, Ah I see now... well that is mostly as you said... just a decision I made... I guess unless I get complaints Ill leave it as is... I suppose while it does limit the "real estate" on the results page the data cluster tree on the left more than makes up for it.... We do have our own indexes but we also use over a dozen other databases to compile a far more inclusive result for the user. I will send you a message about the image tool.

Skinny, thanks Im glad you like it.

surchin, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  15. TomN

TomN Peon

Best Answers:
    sweet layout.

awesome features.

the extra info is nice!

and my site is in it too!

good luck!

TomN, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  16. TomN

TomN Peon

Best Answers:
    wow.

your mp3 surch has results google doesn't!

even obscure artists. my new homepage!

TomN, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  17. surchin

surchin Banned

Best Answers:
    Tom, Thanks Im glad you like it... Something else you may or may not have seen is the site preview button to the right of the results.... Click preview and then if you want you can click maximize...also below results you will see "save result" click on that and then under the Surch.com logo you will see "My Surch Folder"... We are building a full ReadME section for the site to explain all the features available... :)

surchin, Jun 23, 2006 IP
  18. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hello. I'd love the oppurtunity to invest in your search engine if you are willing to give it time in the hopes of making it very big, and eventually a striving competitor against Yahoo! and Google. :)

PM me.

EGS, Jun 23, 2006 IP
  19. surchin

surchin Banned

Best Answers:
    EGS, thanks Im glad that you like it so much however we arent taking on any investors as of now but who nows what the future will hold. :)

surchin, Jun 24, 2006 IP
  20. Steve Myers

Steve Myers Active Member

Best Answers:
    Amazing results on the search for "Directories" thumbnails, Save Results, My Search Folder. I will deffinently keep this bookmarked.

When you get launched feel free to submit to FastLine Directory!

Steve Myers, Jun 24, 2006 IP