1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

support us by clicking links.. hmm

Discussion in 'Websites' started by LPEllis, Apr 6, 2005.

This site is one of the non-reprocal (how do you spell that?) directories from an earlier thread. notice the right bar
    http://bdcconcepts.com/directory/browse-music-341-1.html

LPEllis, Apr 6, 2005 IP
    l234244 likes this.
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    It's "reciprocal".

Nice find. We have a special squad here dealing with those people. The squad drives these cars (with AdSense Polics stickers on the front, back and side):

[​IMG]

Here's a live link to the page.

PS Please someone PhotoShop the ASPD logo on there... WebJunkie?!

T0PS3O, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  3. TheWebJunkie

TheWebJunkie Banned

Best Answers:
    dam you found a pic of my car :p

TheWebJunkie, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  4. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    Good, as your car has been found, plz fix that guy...

or

Just leave him, the time will fix him and he would be posting here after some time: "Plssss My account has been banned, but I didn't clicked any ads" :D

NeoGen, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  5. blackpudding

blackpudding Peon

Best Answers:
    Is this the wrong place to say what a lame site that is :eek:

It stinks so bad he has to manufacture pheromones to get girls :D

Cheers
    BP

blackpudding, Apr 6, 2005 IP
    david_sakh likes this.
  6. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    only seems to be on the music page - as far as I could see. It's not on the sport pages where I was submitting :). How come there's so many completely stupid people around - surely he didn't think no one would notice.

jlawrence, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  7. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Guess he got the message I see nothing now...it's a good thing I thought I smelled a rodent :)...maybe webjunkey already got to him.

Homer, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  8. Bobby Easland

Bobby Easland Guest

Best Answers:
    The directory does not require a reciprocal link for any submission. Although we put some verbiage in the submit form to the effect of "recips are encouraged" the simple fact of the matter is that 1 in 20 actually submit a real URL. The rest are blank, 404 page, or otherwise non-existent.

There are currently 889 submissions to the directory and only 41 confirmed courtesy links back. I'm sure there are more than a few members of this forum that have submitted their URLs (or their client URLs) to the directory with absolutely no recip URL offered and still received a 24 hour or less review. As a matter of fact, there is one member in particular on this thread that submitted his URL and can attest to the fact that his submission was reviewed in a timely manner with professional courtesy.
    I understand the tendency to approach these infractions with a zealousness that only a close online community would. However, there has to be an understanding of both sides. I am here to address these issues as the President and CEO of BDC Industries, Incorporated (Chartered in the Commonwealth of Kentucky) who is the legal registrant of the domain in question.

As a primer please allow me to explain the mission goal of the directory and also offer a small bit of background on my company. First, I do not make my living as an SEO expert, webmaster, coder, directory operator, or online retailer of goods. My company is a custom liquid fill manufacture operation and relies on either mainline distribution of internal products or short run liquid subcontracts.

What do those facts have to do with this discussion? It puts the rest of this reply in proper context. The directory has a sole purpose: help as many site owners as possible given the resources available. As is said on the main page the directory was created as a links management tool for the main site. However, over time the linking campaign slowed and the directory was increasing in huge amounts of spider traffic. I made the decision to open the directory for general submission.

Of course there is an option for a $15 submission and given the features feel it is a great value. However, that is not the primary focus of the directory. A very large percentage of any revenues obtained from the premium submission service is donated to the osCommerce Open Source Shopping Cart project to help support future developments (for those active in the osC support community my moniker is Chemo). Although the directory does net a percentage the main reason for offering a premium submission fee is to support a great open source project. Some people recreate by playing sports or video games...I code free PHP contributions for osCommerce as a passionate hobby.

As I've indicated the main area of operations for the company is mainline distribution of manufactured goods. Since I already devote a large amount of my free time to open source programming I decided to give an employee a cherry job. My company employs 3 cooperative education students from the local university. One of them is a Junior in the Computer Sciences department and is very intersted in anything technical. Rather than have him spend 6 hours every day thinking of programming Honewell process controllers why not let him take 2 hours and review sites and do web programming on the site? I remember my days in college and that's the cool job that I'd want.

Unfortunately, his zealous attempt at webmastering at the code level for the directory resulted in a properly motivated but uneducated posting of content that clearly violates the Google terms of service. The actual infraction can be verified with Google cached pages as spanning no more than 48-72 hours.

Check the cache pages and will hopefully give you a mental picture of this scenario: "Sure I can do that! Sounds like more fun this this...so all I have to do is review the sites and maintain the code base? Don't worry...I'm all over it!". I went along with other areas such as the main company business and some osCommerce projects. A few days later I decide to help gets some sites reviewed as the backlong was approaching the limit. I read a very obscene submission alerting to the violation. Although I sincerely the alert I have to admit the verbiage used could have been more professional. Not everyone that operates a website is a 17 year old child that hides behind a ficticious internet moniker.

In summary, the publishing of the content that clearly violates the the terms of service was a grave error on part of the person that added it. I will accept my part of the responsibility as I placed too much trust not in his abilities but rather judgement and experience.

The content was removed as soon as I looked at the page. Listen, I may not be active on this forum but I'm VERY active on osC support forum where I live and die by my integrity. This incident is an embarassment and reflects badly on not only my company but myself.

The employee that is responsible has received a counsel session. He has NOT been reprimanded or penalized in any way. I tell you this as not only am I here to offer my apologies and explanation but also to defend his actions. His intention was well placed but he is still learning...I would rather commend him on his initiative and foster growth in his passion than penalize him for an honest mistake. Not knowing and making a mistake is the process of learning. However, if he has the knowledge and makes the same mistake twice he is both ethically wrong and plain stupid.

No...this is not the wrong place to voice your opinion. A public domain discussion forum is the ideal location as it provides a digital archive. I believe in free speech and tell people more frequently than I should that they are in the shallow end of the gene pool.

I may not agree with your statement but will concede your right to voice your opinion...after all I did work real hard all those years making sure you had that freedom. Thank you for your feedback.

I'm not a beginner at webmastering and can code with the best of them. I have explained above the situation and assure you that I would not have approved that content.

As above, thank you for your feedback and submission to the directory.

The content was immediately removed once I set eyes on it after the courtesy alert. However, it would have been removed regardless if I had seen it before getting the alert. It was flagrant and obviously a mistake by a true beginner.

Cordially,

Bobby Easland

Bobby Easland, Apr 8, 2005 IP
    david_sakh and T0PS3O like this.
  9. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Hey Bobby, these guys like to go crazy once in a while and I have told them to cool it on this Google police crap so the forum is not responsible for the destruction of businesses because that is not what Digital Point is about.

We have some members here that think it is good for the forum to piss webmasters off so they go around the forum circuit and bad mouth Digital Point, funny logic I guess.

Google can find all of the sites that include text that solicit clicks real easy if they want to, some of our members get excited once in a while with the Google police stuff, but one day it will backfire on them as it has in the past when "some members of the forum" acted on behalf of Google in communicating with publishers without authorization from Google on TOS violations.

I hope it does not damage your business in any way especially if it was a honest mistake by someone that did not know any better.

Welcome to Digital Point anyway, even if you had to come by under the watchful eye of the Google police here on Digital Point whom Google is watching also.

anthonycea, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  10. LPEllis

LPEllis Guest

Best Answers:
    wow that a long post.
    we know no reciprocal link is needed (see 1st post) tops30 just corrected my spelling mistake.
    The explanation seems fair, however. I doubt you really received any clicks, so hopefully no harm done. It just pays to be carefull.

LPEllis, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  11. Bobby Easland

Bobby Easland Guest

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your reply and given the tone of previous posts the lack of 4 letter words :)

I sincerely appreciate the value of group collaboration (Google Police) and feel they are serving a valuable purpose. The concept could be abstracted and applied to cleaning up the internet in general. For example, if legislation were passed that would allocate a certain amount of recovered fees from email spammers that were caught and procesuted could you imagine the benefit of that group collaboration? That would be a project that I would support with my other directory :)

I'm sure the intentions of the local G Police force are well placed and would recommend in the future that a cordial notice be sent to the webmaster or site administrator instead of the nasty-o-gram. It is more professional and the presentation will be more effective in general.

As a bit more background, the AdSense was initially used to evaluate the individual pages of the directory. I was interested to see what theme was associated with each page and confirm proper placement of submissions. The majority of pages are themed as expected and I was going to remove the code when the aspiring webmaster in question posed an interesting proposition: keep the AdSense on the site and use the proceeds to offset the increased cost of upgrading their Friday morning doughnuts to a helping of doughnuts AND COFFEE. :)

As most are aware discussing the return from AdSense placement is prohibited but the real reason we have it on the directory is because it is a valuable tool by which we decide the proper category placement.

Bobby

Bobby Easland, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  12. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Hang in there Bobby, I think that everything will be alright, it is not the end of the world and hope you get whatever corrected on your site.

I think that some of these guys will realize that it is not good to continue to post live links here on forum one day and draw in folks in this manner just to insult and embarrass them in public.

I don't think that is a good reflection on Digital Point and it is not very good public relations for this forum. Some just think it is all in good fun, but at the same time can't see the great damage that they could do to a great forum not realizing that the forum circuit is a small world and there are no secrets on it.

In the end I think these guys will see that, it is just the fact that some still think it is a good thing to do for some odd reason.

anthonycea, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  13. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I am glad that you felt the need to explain Bobby. However it really wasn't neccessary as we are a bunch of vigilantes that like to take matters into our own hands, as AC suggests. ;)

It appears as though you were innocent in all of this...Welcome to DP :)

Homer, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  14. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    I've seen many a G Police force getting out of hand, it's not only on this forum. I must congratulate Bobby on his directory. I've used it in the past and the response and level of service was very good. The ToS violation was just an unfortunate misunderstanding.

Crusader, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  15. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    welcome to digital point.
    Nice reply Mr. Eastland, and respects for posting it.

Digital point is NOT a gang of forum hooligans, however we will defend vigerously
    what we consider to be against webmaster protocols.
    Its much better to bring it to webmasters attention (however abruptly) rather than someone descretely posting a mail straight to google.
    I would assume you will be checking the chaps work in future ?

Solicitors Mortgages, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  16. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    As Crusader says this is not the only forum that is aggressive towards AdSense Faud. After ALL it is fraud...which is actually in the criminal code.

I personnally think it is your duty as a honest publisher. The more of this we can find the better the program will get.

Google actually encourages it. This tells me that they need the help...they can't possibly manage this themselves, as some suggest.

Homer, Apr 9, 2005 IP
    T0PS3O likes this.
  17. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't think that any intelligent webmaster could believe your post Homer, you are trying to say that the largest data mining company in the world can not find these things when you can find them using the Google search engine.

Get real Homer. :eek:

anthonycea, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  18. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Bobby,

Quite a coinsidence out of the millions out there it happened to be your site someone stumbled upon. Your OsC contribs were some of the first to make it into my shops and I can confirm you're a great forum player over there. Keep up the good stuff there and thanks for the help you've given me in threads there (we're posting as JoeMcManus there).

I'm glad we could help identify this error on your directory. Better a surprise from us than from Google in the form of a 'account closed' e-mail. The 'police' is your best friend :D

The secret agents are still refining their policies and I can see improvement compared to our last 'efforts' which weren't as nice at all.

T0PS3O, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  19. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    The point I am making is that are too many creative fraudsters out there AC. From groups to underground communities that's sole purpose is to commit AdSense fraud.

I agree Google is the biggest and baddest SE. But not big enouogh to catch ALL creative fraud programs...and yes...these are professional organized fraud programs, AC.

Do the math AC. If Google wanted you to mind your own god damn business, they would say so. They also would not reply with this:

When you report a known cheater. We have been through this before AC. I understand we are diametrically opposed on this issue. However we both agree that cheating AdSense is wrong. The action(s) some take is what you have a problem with. Which makes for good rebutal.

Homer, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  20. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    It's suprising how many publishers are violating Google's ToS, not really out of intend to perform fraud, but through their disregard of reading and understanding what the ToS means.

Crusader, Apr 9, 2005 IP