1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Supplement Results

Discussion in 'Google' started by Ferrarislave, Aug 23, 2006.

1. costy81gl

costy81gl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Due to co-op I ruined 3 sites with 1000 uniques/day each. I have no doubt that co-op is the reason because I have 2 kinds of pages: suplimental with co-op ads and normal result without co-op ads. One one of my sites I had 4000 suplimental results and 13 normal results(13 pages where I forgot to insert the ads, or were '.doc').

costy81gl, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  2. tonyinabox

tonyinabox Peon

Best Answers:
    well you couldn't assure it was co-op's problem.

many websites got supplementals problem also. try to fix it and submit reinclusion. after a month and see the result and comeback to tell us.

tonyinabox, Sep 3, 2006 IP
  3. Ferrarislave

Ferrarislave Peon

Best Answers:
    Someone correct me if im wrong, but to break it down supplemental results are pages that are not very important or low ranking. Forums typically have supplemental results because many of the forums pages do not have links pointing towards them so to save bw, time, etc.. they are indexed much less then indexed results. Supplemental results are not a penalty. If you look at shoemoney.com using the site query 90% of the pages are supplemental. He is not a spammer, doesnt cheat, PR6, gets good traffic and has tons of quality backlinks... How could it be supplemental?

How would running co-op cause supplemental results?

Ferrarislave, Sep 8, 2006 IP
  4. afactory

afactory Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is there any way to get back from the supplement to normal index?

afactory, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  5. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe Google is trying to destroy the coop by devaluing all the sites that display coop ads? If I was google thats what I would do.

mad4, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  6. swapshop

swapshop Peon

Best Answers:
    Baiscally as we stated dupes are when the title, desc and meta tags are the same.

Also it seems to be if a page is basically the same but has different title, desc and tags it will still be a dupe.

We have a classifieds site and our header is dynamic and written on the fly depending on the advert but the content may be similar or deemed to be similar if the content doesnt differ by say 10%?

No 100% sure but in our case it is.

Anyone agree?

swapshop, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  7. Kaudo

Kaudo Peon

Best Answers:

that´s interesting banless, sure worth to give a try

Kaudo, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  8. afactory

afactory Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed!!!
    Just tried about 1 week ago to changes page title, desc and meta tags for pages with pagination where all titles for all pages looks the same, for example,

title - Results Page

I just changed all the titles to, for example:

Results Page (Page 1)
    Results Page (Page 2)
    Results Page (Page N)

After google reindexed all this pages they are go back from the supplemental to normal.

afactory, Sep 26, 2006 IP
  9. swapshop

swapshop Peon

Best Answers:
    Trick is to make all pages at least 30% diff and not trigger googles duplicate filter

swapshop, Sep 26, 2006 IP
  10. Kaudo

Kaudo Peon

Best Answers:

Now banless, it shows you are fully in supplemental with http://www.google.com/search?complete=1&hl=en&q=site:www.index-it.net&btnG=Google+Search

at least I can tell you´re not the only one, I am back in that shet again since 29th, no matter what I´ve done to avoid it. I would cry if it helped.

Kaudo, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  11. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Which to me is further proof that virtually none of what is going on in Google since Big Daddy has anything to do with anything webmasters are doing, and has everything to do with the sad fact that Google screwed up their index and months later still does not know how to fix it. As a result, their search data changes almost daily as they shift things around, try to rebuild, tweak, patch, revert, and then start over again when the latest greatest idea to fix it turns out to have made things worse again.

minstrel, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  12. Rasputin

Rasputin Peon

Best Answers:
    Minstrel is right. During the last two months I think I have tried everything possible and one by one, out of my control, have lost almost all pages in all sites. As an example, I have one site about the region I live in - I go out for the day, take a photo or two, get some local information, and write it up for visitors. Yet in the last day or two this completely original site has gone completely supplemental. The site has also just disappeared from page 1 to page 6 in the SERPs, despite being one of only about three sites that cover the region.

Funny thing is, it is also changing from PR2 to PR4. Go figure.

Rasputin, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  13. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes there is. By fixing the problems that caused the site/page to go supplemental. Unfortunately it is easier to fix them before going supplemental then once you go supp. So don't let your site go live until you have it completely done.

Factors that can cause a page to go supplemental:
    Duplicate content
    Contentless pages(pages that have nothing on them except a few links and maybe a purchase button)
    Orphaned pages(pages that are not linked to by your site or by other sites)
    Multiple Pages with the same meta tags(If a site uses the same meta tags: title and description tags for multiple pages it can cause supp results)
    And other factors may cause a page to go supplemental. Some of these factors won't cause it on their own if the rest are all okay but combined can. I would recommend never leaving the door open.

By fixing these problems and getting quality links to the pages in supplemental results can get you out but it may take a while.
    Check here for more info: http://www.1stsearchenginerankings....-supplemental-results-and-how-to-get-removed/

visio, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  14. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Lol that is a myth that would-be-seo are promoting. It is not true. googles algo is fine except that it disqualified many factors that used to be worth alot more hence the drop for many sites. I have never had a change in rankings because of a algo change because I don't use recip linking. I only have one-way links so nothing can really happen. If you want me to explain it better send me a pm. I got to run right now though.....

visio, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  15. Rasputin

Rasputin Peon

Best Answers:
    Visio,

have you looked at 'site:http://www.1stsearchenginerankings.com' in google recently? is that the site you are talking about. Looks from here like most of the site telling me how not to be supplemental is...supplemental

Rasputin, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  16. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are referring to my forums correct? I do have a few forum pages that are supplemental. I haven't had time to work on the forums. I really need to. Also a while back this blog was used for a contest so a few of those old pages which I deleted when supplemental. I could care less about those because they are gone and have nothing to do with my new site. I have checked recently and don't believe I have any of my new blog pages in the supplemental pages.

But it was smart of you to check that out. It is always a bad idea to follow a a 'seo' blindely. If you see a supplemental page besides the forums please send me a screenshot because I think it is highly unlikely. :)

visio, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry but that is balderdash.

Google has been all over the map for months. It started with Big Daddy and it hasn't yet stopped. You tell me how reciprocal links, duplicate content filters, or anything even close to those factors or the other ones you mentioned could result in existing pages dropping out of the index and being replaced by pages from the same site that hadn't existed for a year. That happened to me and several other sites reported in the DP forums. Add to that all the other anomalies - the screw-up with the site: query among them - and there is no escaping the conclusion that anything the average non-black hat webmaster is doing these days is purely superstitious behavior unrelated to actual outcome in Google.

minstrel, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  18. Kaudo

Kaudo Peon

Best Answers:
    The funny is that nobody promotes it this way. It wouldn´t help the SEO company at all, to tell that they´re good in SEOing but probably will not help the client as Googloe went crazy lately with BD.

MINSTREL, RASPUTIN, I have to admit I share your opinion. The last 3 years I spent a lot of time to rank well in Google, neglecting Yahoo and MSN (even though sometimes it´s hard to neglect MSN), to get some visible whitehat label.

I really thought I am mature enough in this until the late July (BD started earlier but for some reasond I have not been hit by the very first waves), when almost all of my sites, no matter what language, type, posting software, number and quality of links or onpage SEO applied was affected somehow.

During September I thought I made it, being not affected by any of the sub-updates (beside the 28th of September) and getting to almost pre-BD status, but right now I am completely frustrated and the worst thing is I really don´t know what could help.

I am pretty happy I didn´t leave my daily job (telco new business developer) even though I was thinking of it daily since January 2006 when first time my online income became 6 times higher than my offline day job income.

Today one of my sites earned USD 3.70 and another one (with only main page out of supplemental) even USD 1.19 from Adsense (sic!), still couple of hours to finish the day, but... And no leads, no affiliate sales on those sites which used to bring the bucks.

4 days ago, my second son was born, on Wednesday my wife coimes back from the hospital and probably tells me I was pretty wrong thinking I will never fall down and become a loser.

Kaudo, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  19. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you consider yourself a Seo professional?

Professionals such as Seobook, andy jenkins, Brad fallon and many others say these updates never effect them? Why because they use link building methods that aren't throw-away.

You think the Big Daddy caused this and now Google is worse than before? My sites went nowhere. And actually after the update my rankings and traffic went WAY UP. I haven't had a drop in traffic since.

If you don't share my belief send me a PM and I will let you talk to a professional who can explain away all your ideas on the Big Daddy update.

Again no true professional seo lost rankings in the update. SEO is all about fluctuation and if you don't watch for the waves they will knock you over.

visio, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  20. minstrel

Best Answers:
    You haven't answered my question.

minstrel, Oct 1, 2006 IP