1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Super worried, Opened fake Paypal account and got email "account is limited". Please Help

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Labadoux, Jul 3, 2013.

So I made a huge mistake the other day as I signed up for a new Paypal account using random information i found on the internet.(Big mistake #1...) The reason I wanted to make an anonymous Paypal account was because I was going to make a purchase from a website i didnt fully trust. I was going to buy virtual items for an online game and the website selling the items looked a little fishy but had really good prices. I didnt want this website to have any of my real Paypal info so I just planned on using a prepaid card so none of my identifying information would exposed in case I was to get scammed and never receive my items. Im not sure what someone can do with your Paypal information and I just wanted the whole thing to be private. It explained on the website they send you an email after they get payment confirmation and the email contained login information for an online profile. After you sign on to that profile you would find the items you purchased and you have to transfer them to your profile. I was planning on purchasing a small amount from the website to test it out and see if it was legit. Afterwards I was going to cancel the Paypal account I made and use my real one because I would not want to keep buying new prepaid cards.

I had troubles registering my card so i decided to give up on the whole fiasco and never went back to Paypal to finish verifying. (Huge waste of time...) Here is where I made another huge mistake...I was using a proxy service when I signed up for Paypal. The proxy service I used displayed an IP address that did not match the location I used when signing up for Paypal. The next day after creating the account I receive an email saying "We need to confirm some of your account information. Please update your profile with your current address and provide some documentation to help confirm your identity"
    Case ID Number: PP-XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX (This scares me....!)

I went in to try and delete the account and as im sure you all know, you cannot cancel an account that is limited. (Of course...) It is asking me for the following documents to be faxed or emailed:
    Photo ID
    Proof of Address
    Confirm Social Security number

I obviously dont have any of these documents and do NOT want to produce fake documents. I also cant change the information so it matches my real info and send them real documents because I already have a Paypal account and it would conflict with that one. As it stands right now there is no transaction history and there has never been any activity on the account. The account currently has a $0.00 balance so obviously I have no desire to proceed in verifying it. Was what I did illegal? I never actually moved any form of money through the account. At first I was just going to ignore the account and hope it expired after a certain amount of time but I am getting really worried because I read somewhere else that someone had an account in "limited standing" for like 5 years. So it doesn't appear Paypal is going to delete the account on their own, even if there is no activity. Since there was no activity on the account will Paypal even attempt to discover who created the profile? Will it sit in Paypal limbo until the death of Paypal? Or is there someone out there screening accounts every few months who will notice a failure to produce the right documents? (Unlikely, as Paypal has over 70 million users, but not impossible) The email address I used when signing up for Paypal has only been logged into using my proxy. Same with Paypal. (Not sure if that helps)
    I apologize for the lengthy post and I really appreciate your reading of this post. I really hope someone has some advice on what to do in this situation.

Labadoux, Jul 3, 2013 IP
  2. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Well, what is done is done. Signing up, if you used another real person's information, could be considered identity theft - and that is a serious thing. But, since it appears you have done nothing with the account and do not plan to do anything with the account, I think you can probably assume nothing will come of it. I Do not think making additional efforts to try and delete or cancel the account make your situation any better, in fact, may make it worse. Why do you care if an account you never used and never intend to use ends up in "limited standing" for 5 years anyway? Canceling the account does not delete the fact you set it up or erase those records.

There is a saying that when you've dug yourself into a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging. I think at this point, your plan of ignoring the account is your best option.

browntwn, Jul 4, 2013 IP
  3. Labadoux

Labadoux Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the response Browntown. I appreciate the advice but the situation is resolved.

Labadoux, Jul 5, 2013 IP
  4. browntwn

Best Answers:

That is good. Do you mind sharing *how* it was resolved?

browntwn, Jul 5, 2013 IP
  5. Labadoux

Labadoux Peon

Best Answers:
    Hard to explain
    xD

Labadoux, Jul 5, 2013 IP
  6. browntwn

Best Answers:
    I'd imagine. There were not many legal ways out of your predicament. :D

browntwn, Jul 5, 2013 IP
  7. avus276

avus276 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounded serious, glad everything worked out in the end.

avus276, Jul 5, 2013 IP
  8. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, what a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive. "Hard to explain" huh...nope you just don't want to. I hope that you haven't dug yourself into an even deeper hole. If so then I suspect that we'll be seeing another stressed out thread from you, in the not too distant future.;)

Spoiltdiva, Jul 6, 2013 IP
  9. Law-Dude

Law-Dude Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you were. You tried to deceive both PayPal and the merchant from whom you purchased services as to your true identity. You made that very clear in your original post.

Law-Dude, Jul 7, 2013 IP
  10. Labadoux

Labadoux Peon

Best Answers:
    Browntown, It was resolved simply because I was not going to use it. I guess it was not that hard to explain. I just didn't know how to explain that I thought everything would be fine. Anyway, I was discussing the situation with someone today and after hearing his sitauation I deccided I am just going to contact support directly. Get it all sorted out tomorrow.
    I think I can handle things from here. Its to bad I cant close this thread. Im not in need of opinions that dont assist me and I will not reply to them so please dont reply to this thread with a negative opinion or comment.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
    Labadoux, Jul 7, 2013 IP
  11. Law-Dude

Law-Dude Active Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe you should try abstaining from writing things which naturally elicit negative comments.

Law-Dude, Jul 8, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  12. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    It's a terrible thing when one can't control the type of comments one gets. But that seems to be what happens on a public forum.;)

Spoiltdiva, Jul 9, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  13. Labadoux

Labadoux Peon

Best Answers:
    Lol. That makes me giggle. I never said anything about controlling comments. Just hoping the people had something better to do than waste time posting here. But it appears not....O well....
    If you are interested in hearing how the situation unfolded PM me for details. This thread is way off topic and I hope the comment trolls find somewhere else to post! (I doubt it....O well....last post for me)
    xD

Labadoux, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  14. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I find it interesting that if anyone does not see things the way you do, you brand them as a troll. This of course absolves you 100%, and you can't possibly be wrong. After all they are just trolls right?;)

Spoiltdiva, Jul 9, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  15. jipeto

jipeto Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    actually you can have 2 paypal accounts, if one is business and the other is personal. forget about this holier then god comments.

jipeto, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  16. browntwn

Best Answers:
    Yes, of course someone can have 2 account using real info. You are not allowed even a single account if you are using fake information, as this person candidly admitted to doing. Your post either ignores this fact or you simply don't comprehend its importance.

browntwn, Jul 9, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  17. Psychoz

Psychoz Member

Best Answers:
    Well Lababoux have write his problem here and want some help and when he find the solution of the problem doesnt want to tell us anything!... Someone maybe have to learn this guy that to use people only when you need them isnt the best think in the world!

Psychoz, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  18. markis222

markis222 Peon

Best Answers:
    Seriously people?!?!?!?!?
    Opening a PP acct with incorrect or fake info (including ssn or ein/tin) is not fraud.... well it is but it would be thrown out of court if it ever made it to begin with.... thats is only if you dont use the acct to purchase something... thats why the OP isnt in jail after admitting to paypal that he used someone else's identity to create a second acct... there r bigger fish to fry, u must understand... its really not a big deal....
    After all it would be very plausable to type in your ssn or other info and there is no law that states you r committing fraud if you unknowingly enter someone else's ssn or dob or lic #... crap like this happens all day long and 99% of the time with no repercussions...
    now if you were trying to get a loan in someone elses name and ssn, then thats fraud whether or not you get a penny....

markis222, Nov 30, 2013 IP
  19. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You knew the answer to this question before you made both of those 'huge mistakes' and you also knew the answer to this question before you created this thread to ask it.

But now it's time for you to answer some questions, too. That's fair, right?

1. How do you know the info you found was 'fake' - as in it didn't belong to anyone?
    2. How would you feel if someone else made the same 'huge mistakes' that you made using your info that they just happened across online? Would it still be just a harmless oversight on their part, no big deal if the account was never used?

Senobia, Nov 30, 2013 IP
  20. sbsl

sbsl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is anything to worry about? you opened account and its limited. Wait for a month or two and then cancel the account. nothing to worry about.

sbsl, Nov 8, 2016 IP